New Marine Corp commercial....."Towards the Sound of Chaos"

Old March 30th 12, 03:34 PM posted to sci.military.naval,alt.military.retired,sci.space.policy,alt.war.vietnam
a425couple

Default New Marine Corp commercial....."Towards the Sound of Chaos"

"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message...
a425couple wrote:
"Paul Madarasz" wrote in message...
"Jonathan" wrote, perhaps among other things:
"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message...
bob haller wrote:
"David E. Powell" wrote:
Iraq is going OK except for...
Afghanistan is politically messed up. It can be won on the ground as
Iraq was if the same policy is followed.
neither is winnable and iraq is detoriating.
and Iraq is not over...the U.S. will leave...(the wars have cost us 3
trillion)...
but now every nation knows if it dares defy the U.S., it *must* have a
WMD.
And once they do, then the dictatorship can live on and on
like in N Korea. So when some dictatorship begins building
nukes, should we just look the other way and let the
people there suffer endlessly?

Until we get rid of our nukes, yes. BTW, there are a lot of people
suffering endlessly here in the US.

From the point of view of those who lived during the sweep of recorded
human history, or the majority living in the world today, that "suffering
endlessly here in the US" seems more than a bit myopic, and self pitying.

What do we do about them?

How in a free society can you force somebody to grow & develop?

The majority of poor people want to prosper (and many work multiple
jobs), but they don't have the know-how or opportunity...you need both.

We rightfully (morally) should help those people. That helps all of us.
;-)

In this rare case, I totally agree with what you stated.
We should help, and I certainly do.
I help individually. I help through non-governmental organizations,
and I certainly pay taxes that the governments use to help.
(Yes, I will admit, I am lucky enough to be among the ~53% in
the US that does pay Federal Income taxes. And last year
I sold off an investment I'd held for 37 years, so I felt
VERY patriotic!)

But, the true core is still:
How in a free society can you force somebody to grow & develop?

and you recognize that fact in your answer:
but they don't have the know-how or opportunity

In my area we still have unemployment around 9%.
Yet we have companies needing manufacturing employees,
and paying good wages, and willing to provide training.

How, in our free society, can we 'coerce' people to
learn and take opportunities?

What do we do, when we realize that as both individuals
and as a society, our assistance has not really helped the core
problem, we have just become enablers?

Was POTUS Clinton in your mind a "rightwinger" when
he campained for and signed the Personal Responsibility and
Work Opportunity Act of 1996, which as he claimed "ended
welfare as we know it" ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona...pportunity_Act

And, back at your:
The majority of poor people want to prosper ---

You state "majority", ok, but then what do we do about
the minority?

Meanwhile Quinn (of many names & places & handles)
What happened? Did the nonexistant "Coldine edu"
fire you when they found out your PhD was fake?

Old March 30th 12, 08:41 PM posted to sci.military.naval,alt.military.retired,sci.space.policy,alt.war.vietnam
Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.[_2_]

a425couple wrote:
"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message...
a425couple wrote:

From the point of view of those who lived during the sweep of recorded human history, or the majority living in the world today, that "suffering endlessly here in the US" seems more than a bit myopic, and self pitying.

May be true, but they still go to bed hungry or unable to pay rent or
medical bills or children's education or...

The usual rightwing stance is: The poor deserve their poverty...**** em.

I totally agree with what you stated.

good for you

(ya wanna play selective snip, son)
;-)
Old April 2nd 12, 03:16 AM posted to sci.military.naval,alt.military.retired,sci.space.policy,alt.war.vietnam
Jonathan

"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message

Son, you don't seem to know what the subject is: WMD or dictatorship.

The U.S. has been to war with democracies.

But the vast majority of human horrors can be placed
directly in the laps of some form of dictatorship.
Whether it's a religious, military or even...economic
dictatorship, the end is the same...tragic.

The U.S. supports (props up) dictatorships who do our bidding.

Proxy wars have diminished since the end of the Cold War.
There's nothing wrong with being pragmatic and accepting
that some dictatorships are less dangerous than others.

As I've told you before, your outlook is like a 10th grader all
starry eyed over how wonderful democracy is, and you are willing
to beat the war drum as long as *you* don't have to actually see war.

Who said anything about going to war with Iran or China?

So why is the US more prosperous than say Iran, or N Korea?
Is it because Americans are a 'better' breed of human being, or
is the main difference with the economic and political... systems?

The answer should be obvious.

i.e. you're a naive rightwing nutjob.

Right wing? My original post in this thread was
all about turning swords into plowshares.
I believe that once the most dangerous dictatorships
finally come around, the US won't have to invade
and occupy, but can become rescuers in the
true sense of the word.

Right now, the US is spending huge sums due
to the dictatorships in Iran and China.
Iran is the main troublemaker in the entire region.
And looking the othe way while the Chinese
fix their exchange rates sends hundred of billions
of our standard of living over there each year.

We would be far better off if they were democracies
and true allies. Better for them too. The best solution
is the one that benefits both sides.

;-)

Old April 5th 12, 04:29 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,alt.war.vietnam
a425couple

"jacob navia" wrote in message...
Le 30/03/12 00:48, a425couple a écrit :
In the USA (as is in Canada, Australia, and most of Western Europe)
the death rate from malnutrition is 1 per 100,000 or less.
(and many of those in US who died in this way was parential
neglect - not lack of food available).
So, please inform me where a "lot of people" in the USA,
are "suffering endlessly" from an major cause of human
suffering = starvation.

1) This is not a new problem. Here is an article of the Journal
of the American Medical Association (JAMA) of 1985:

I agree it is "not a new problem".
Even older than your 27 year old cite, is:
"Blessed is he that considers the poor.
The Lord delivers him in the days of trouble" Psalms 41,1
"For you will always have the poor with you" Mathew 26,11

Severe Primary Malnutrition in US Children
• We studied 16 children aged 18 months or less who had severe primary
protein-calorie malnutrition. All were admitted to one urban pediatric
teaching hospital for treatment of failure to thrive between Jan 1, 1980,
and Aug 30, 1984. The definitions of malnutrition were based on those of
the Wellcome Trust. The patients had no evidence of medical causes for
their conditions and grew rapidly when they were refed in the hospital.
Eight were products of teenage pregnancies. Eleven patients were receiving
public aid, ----

We were talking about a nation of 313,000,000 people,
and "lots of people", and you come up with a study of 16!!

Clearly to me, the simpleton's solution of just throwing
more money at the problem (we spend plenty on it) is not
the solution. The money we send is often spent inefficiently.
The problem is education. Wholesome nutritious meals
can be cooked in a very cost efficient manner.
How in a free society can you force these parents
to learn how to, and then choose to, and then continously
cook proper meals for their children?

And, one on the flip side of that coin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood_obesity
"United States - The rate of obesity among children and adolescents
in the United States has nearly tripled between the early 1980s and 2000.
---- In 2008, the rate of overweight and obese children in the United States
was 32%, "
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5828a1.htm
"Obesity Prevalence Among Low-Income, Preschool-Aged Children ---
United States, 1998--2008
Childhood obesity continues to be a leading public health concern that
disproportionately affects low-income and minority children (1). Children
who are obese in their preschool years are more likely to be obese in
adolescence and adulthood (2) and to develop diabetes, hypertension,
hyperlipidemia, asthma, and sleep apnea ---
Reducing childhood obesity will require effective prevention strategies
that focus on environments and policies promoting physical activity and
a healthy diet for families, child care centers, and communities.
PedNSS is a state-based surveillance system that monitors the nutritional
status of children from birth through age 4 years enrolled in federally
funded
programs that serve low-income children."

2) Malnutrition killing elderly in U.S. An article in CNN from June 2nd
Researchers from Louisiana State University examined data from 3,141
counties and older adult malnutrition mortality using Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention data. Between 2,000 and 3,000 older adults die
from malnutrition each year, according to CDC data from 2006.

Yes, that is a problem. But lack of funds is not the core issue.

As I have been through with my mother who clearly wished
to live out her life in her own home, but gradually lost the ability
to prepare proper food for herself. Individuals who care
need to properly intervene to be sure they eat adequately.
And now, I'm having to do so also, for the last of that generation,
my aunt. We had to move her (with her agreement) from where she
was living (about 1,000 miles away) to be near us so we could
ensure proper care.

THERE IS NO BLINDER PERSON AS THE ONE THAT DOESN'T WANT TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!

I see problems that can and should be addressed by individuals.
Groups helping is often very good.

I still agree with what I wrote:
From the point of view of those who lived during the sweep of
recorded human history, or the majority living in the world today,

Old April 5th 12, 07:55 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy,alt.war.vietnam
Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.[_2_]

a425couple wrote:
starvation.

"For you will always have the poor with you" Mathew 26,11

This is often quoted by the rightwing extremist as a
justification for ignoring the poor or eliminating
programs that help the poor.
;-)
Old April 22nd 20, 06:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 2:55:46 PM UTC-4, Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D. wrote:
a425couple wrote:
starvation.

"For you will always have the poor with you" Mathew 26,11

This is often quoted by the rightwing extremist as a
justification for ignoring the poor or eliminating
programs that help the poor.
;-)

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts would be now? all these years later?
Knowing now that We USA/CIA helped to create, Arm and Train the Mujahedin (Osama bin laden) to draw Soviets into a war. The Mujahedin in turn recruited the Muslim fundamentalists that fought against the Soviets. After the war we just walked away. And we left same said ARMED fundamentalists in Afghanistan.
Who intern formed the Taliban and killed most of the moderates remaining.
That after our own invasion and almost 20 years of war. We (Trump) are now handing Afghanistan back over to...The Taliban.
And, Are instead selling 4%00 billion worth of Military arms and Equipment to the Saudis. Who, I believe made up 15 of the 9/11 hijackers?