How cool is VL2

Old April 10th 07, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
[email protected]

Default How cool is VL2

The GOOGLE/Usenet takes in, but lo and behold their topic index of
replies doesn't always indicate the likes of this following
contribution, so I'll try it once again for the old gipper.

Obviously I Ovglove jest, and obviously the co2--co/o2 (same process
as working on behalf of the Mars mission fiasco) is where the local
needs of whatever O2 is to be found, except in easily available bulk.
The last time I'd checked, Venus had a touch more than its fair share
of co2 (kept nicely bone dry and process preheated to boot), and
otherwise having way more than its fair share of locally renewable
energy to burn (sort of speak), so that you don't have to bother
packing along a nuclear reactor, and at that local pressure your body
doesn't even require all that much O2 (just lots of ice cold beer).

Before doing Venus in whatever cozy Ovglove protected person, even
though a composite rigid airship/shuttle or whatever 'tomcat' fat-
waverider should more than do the trick, whereas Venus L2 is offering
us the very next best available ticket to ride, and without such
involving any Ovgloves.

Venus L2(VL2) is in fact a POOF friendly and thus offering a
technically worthy location for an entire collective or community of
such inflated habitat items, that can be made quite livable for each
of those 19+ month missions, especially if getting shielded by an
extra meter or more of beer. Obviously I beer jest, as such required
shield density could be accomplished via Gin or Vodka, and
subsequently replaced by good old reliable pee. (waste not, want not)

Only the systematically perverted mindset of this mostly Old Testament
Usenet from naysay hell, that is in any formal disagreement as based
entirely upon their own faith-based crapolla, are of what's getting
this notion terminated, by way of those intent upon keeping all of
those mutually perpetrated cold-war and religious hocus-pocus lids on
tight, as for otherwise their having been focused upon topic/author
bashings, diverting and/or their total banishing upon all that's
Venus. (I think it's mostly a silly Old Testament Jewish thing, along
with those crazy Catholics and a few other cults bringing up the rear)

Unfortunately, ESA's Venus EXPRESS(VIRTIS) mission is keeping itself
every bit as dead as that of whatever our MI/NSA~NASA wants it to be
dead. The thermal imaging data from their robust PFS instrument has
been kept entirely taboo/nondisclosure rated (aka need to know) from
the very get go.

The surface of Venus is still giving off the average of 20.5 w/m2
(roughly 256 fold greater core energy loss than Earth), and the lower
atmospheric environment of Venus (below them relatively cool acidic
clouds) as having in fact been rather nicely insulated at that, as
well as for having incorporated that fairly robust S8 layer as being
an extra nifty solar isolation benefit, so that damn little of the
available solar IR influx ever reaches that geothermally forced
surface or even contributing all that much solar energy into that
dense lower atmosphere, of what's mostly a thick vapor/dry mixture of
S8 and CO2, that's otherwise unavoidably made available and sustained
as being toasty hot from whatever just below the geothermal surface on
up.

Venus is NOT getting solar roasted to death, at least not entirely if
hardly so.

ESA's sorry as hell "status reports" are all the way down to being
robo status quo. It's as though they're down to the science data
sharing dregs of a pair of soup cans and some string.

ESA's mission demise is too bad because, Venus has otherwise been so
nearby (at times merely 100 fold greater distance than our moon), so
otherwise planetology alive and kicking, as well as so ET accessible
(except for the likes of us village heathen idiots that still can't
honestly manage to walk upon our very own nearby moon, and much less
dare live to tell about it w/o involving banked bone marrow).

BTW; why are those other "The Ghost In The Machine" minions so
entirely screwed up?
-
Brad Guth

Old April 10th 07, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 2:39 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
wrote:
So OK then. How does one convert CO2 to O2 in a 9.3 MPa, 860F
environment?

The same exact technical process as for doing Mars, except you don't
have to import a nuclear reactor for accommodating the necessary
process energy, nor having to wait for a year's worth of processing to
take place, and therefore roughly less than 1% the cost and
complications of doing Mars. I can't recall each of the technical
steps in that process of converting co2 back into the raw elements of
co/o2, but it's posted on the internet by the likes of Dr. Zubrin and
several others if we ever need to know such specifics.

In any event, you are postulating a trip to Venus L2 from Earth, are you
not?

Yes, why the hell not? After all, VL2 is rather nearby every 19
months.

This is fine, but one will have to work out exactly how much one
has to transport (are we talking 1 human, 1 family, 1 dozen families, 1
million families, all of humanity?) plus sufficient resources to keep
them alive, starting with a method by which they'd generate electric
power (recall that VL2 is in virtual shadow; the best they might hope
for there is some atmospheric refraction, if that), and whatever else
is needed to get them from here to there.

Even though VL2 is a relatively cool parking spot, there's actually a
bit more solar energy to behold while cruising within VL2 than you
might tend to think. It's also a halo orbit worth of station-keeping,
therefore you can expect and/or control as much solar energy influx as
you might need for those banks of PV cells to function, of which such
PV panels can be tethered out a good few km in whatever direction if
need be. Besides, the VL2 energy budget per accommodating each
individual shouldn't be 10% of the ISS energy budget that has to deal
with so much extra solar and secondary earthshine issues, along with
the little extra amount of IR/FIR that's coming off our moon.

Each POOF having it's own set of ION thrusters is what gives this
community of POOFs the collective borg like advantage, as well as
multiple forms of backup, and perhaps if all goes well enough, at most
we should only have to chuck two or three of the original manifest of
crew and passengers due to whatever unavoidable complications.

For argument sake, let us go for a bakers dozen (aka 13 souls, at
least 10 of which can be paying passengers), and remember that there
should also be more than a few corporate/commercial sponsors, such as
the various pizza, beers, self sealing barf-bags and on behalf of
those extreme containment diaper manufacturers.

To begin with, just pack as much pizza and ice cold beer as possible
along for the ride, the rest will follow suit. We can charge our
clients at least $100 million each (one way, as they'll have to fork
over another $100 million if they ever plan on returning to Earth).

The likes of wizard 'tomcat' will gladly R&D and supply his fat-
waverider or whatever go-fast SuperSkylon, or perhaps going for the do-
everything form of a composite rigid airship, although others are
likely more qualified. Bigelow and Russia or perhaps via China will
deal with creating and getting those nifty POOFs into place (a minimum
of 3 POOFs, although a community of 5 POOFs might be best since we'll
need at least one POOF for accommodating all of that pizza and beer,
with one other unit serving as their loony bin POOF, and of course
their SuperSkylon transporter standing nearby as their eventual ride
home, and/or possible OOPS! Plan-B get away)
-

Part - 2 - Life at VL2 is cool

Surviving at VL2's POOF city is offering somewhat tenuous odds, as
rather dependent upon how much shield is accomplishing how much actual
good, and of the naked physical truth of having to avoid whatever is
passing nearby or through your POOF that has your name on it.
Otherwise this POOF city should be nearly as safe as ISS, although
without benefit of a magnetosphere as shield from those waves upon
waves of solar wind that's continually blowing the upper atmospheric
stuff of Venus directly your way, is perhaps a bit more of an unknown.

The to/from commute is by itself another potentially testy what-if, or
at best a somewhat iffy consideration, that's likely worth a good 6
months that'll add to your time and unavoidable TBI in space, along
with the 16~18 months spent at VL2. I'm not sure if banked bone
marrow will be sufficient, but I certainly would not bother going
without taking along a well isolated N2 frozen soild cache of my own
bone marrow.

Two years worth of serious BO and other unavoidable considerations may
be asking a bit much from most of us. Possibly at best that amount of
time spent off-world can be cut down to 21 months, though don't count
on it, as if anything it's more than likely going to take a combined
30+ months, and that's if nothing goes terribly wrong. Still all and
all, VL2 being within 100 fold the distance of our moon each and every
19 months isn't imposing 5% of what doing Mars is all about.

We can even utilize our gamma and hard-Xray shedding moon itself as a
gravity boosted exit phace in getting to VL2, and upon our return we
should be able once again to utilize that pesky mascon of a moon as
our gravity parking brake. Because the moon only has that thin sodium
and argon atmosphere to deal with, as such the near miss passage for
achieving the best gravity affect can be safely taken to within a few
km off that moon's physically dark and nasty surface.

As for accomplishing Venus itself is not worth hardly 10% of doing
Mars, as well as representing an absolute win-win for those planning
upon staying for the remainder of their life, as for the notions of
ever returning from any such other world or spore and virus infested
moon is actually not such a good option, that is unless losing a few
hundred million folks upon Earth from whatever can easily infect our
frail environment and otherwise traumatise our poorly engineered DNA
(that'll have not a clue as to how to go about protecting ourselves
from whatever weird little forms of such ET micro life), as for such a
biological what-if being a potentially moral and/or ethical problem,
especially if it were derived from whatever was robust enough for
having been associated with that other planet or moon, shouldn't be
excluded from this or any other argument.

Too bad we don't have those station keeping robust habitats at our
moon's L1 for safely accommodating such crew and passengers returning
from whatever other worlds or moons, or better yet of there being
something deep underground upon our salty moon would become nearly the
ideal biological isolation, offering the ultimate solution that's
close enough to home to suit for all but physical contact.
-
Brad Guth

Old April 10th 07, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
[email protected]

As far as most of us village idiots can manage to tell from the best
available science, there's nothing all that entirely insurmountable
about Venus, and that analogy especially goes for Venus L2 that is
simply an absolute terrific win-win for the old gipper of humanly
obtained science.

If your DNA doesn't happen to like those nasty cosmic and solar energy
spectrums of gamma and Xrays (especially of those associated with our
moon), then by all means the destination space-depot or gateway of
POOF VL2, and/or of otherwise best going for the actual toasty surface
of, or for certain that of merely cruising just above the geothermal
toasty deck of Venus in your composite rigid airship is just the
ticket for you (that way you'll not even have to test your Ovglove
jump suit).

For other than having to cope with the little extra to/from commute,
POOF VL2 is better off than anything related to surviving onboard ISS/
ESS, however for those souls brave enough for getting situated well
enough below those relatively cool nighttime clouds of Venus, is by
far offering the most solar and/or cosmic energy isolation in town.

Unless Venus itself is terribly radioactive (of which in spots like
our cosmic and solar energy collective morgue of a moon has to deal
with, whereas Venus most certainly should be in places rather nicely
radioactive since it's somewhat newer than Earth to begin with),
whereas you and your frail DNA would be much better off situated below
such acidic clouds or possibly as directly upon the toasty surface of
Venus (not each and every m2 is as hot as the next), as offering fewer
rad/year and thereby better off for our frail DNA than living on Earth
that's losing its protective magnetosphere at the ongoing demise of -.
05%/year, of which will only further lead our badly failing
environment towards more atmospheric tonnage loss from that point on,
thereby compounding as to further affecting our loss of solar/cosmic
shield benefits, that which our frail DNA can barely manage as is to
survive without showing signs of skin and internal DNA damage.

However, at the nearly 100 bar nighttime season worth of the Venusian
surface environment, whereas that thick and terribly buoyant S8/Co2
atmosphere is going to provide an extremely good amount of shield
density against whatever's locally radioactive. Therefore, even up
against some of the most radioactive of locations on Venus are not
going to impose all that much local trauma to those of us in our cozy
Ovglove jump suits, or much less affecting those of us cruising
efficiently nearby in our composite rigid airship.

To honestly ponder, there's actually much fewer of those negative
aspects of artificially sustaining life on Venus than positive ones.
Most everything about Venus is actually working on our behalf,
including the matter of fact that's its often so extremely nearby, and
otherwise directly usable as is, just as it has been doing so on
behalf of accommodating those other smart ETs or possibly locals as
having been doing their natural thing in a very big and obvious way.
-
Brad Guth

Old April 11th 07, 05:36 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics,

wrote
on 10 Apr 2007 12:24:22 -0700
.com:
wrote:
So OK then. How does one convert CO2 to O2 in a 9.3 MPa, 860F
environment?

The same exact technical process as for doing Mars, except you don't
have to import a nuclear reactor for accommodating the necessary
process energy, nor having to wait for a year's worth of processing to
take place, and therefore roughly less than 1% the cost and
complications of doing Mars. I can't recall each of the technical
steps in that process of converting co2 back into the raw elements of
co/o2, but it's posted on the internet by the likes of Dr. Zubrin and
several others if we ever need to know such specifics.

Erm, the raw elements of CO2 are C and O2. CO is carbon monoxide.

[...]

The lack of magnetosphere shouldn't be a problem, though I'd have to
research the issue; most of the danger comes from the Sun, which is
occluded.

The to/from commute is by itself another potentially testy what-if, or
at best a somewhat iffy consideration, that's likely worth a good 6
months that'll add to your time and unavoidable TBI in space, along
with the 16~18 months spent at VL2. I'm not sure if banked bone
marrow will be sufficient, but I certainly would not bother going
without taking along a well isolated N2 frozen soild cache of my own
bone marrow.

Two years worth of serious BO and other unavoidable considerations may
be asking a bit much from most of us.

Two words: recycled water. In any event some bright NASA sort should
be able to figure out a zero-gee shower at some point, though the
current space crew have to make do with sponge baths.

Possibly at best that amount of
time spent off-world can be cut down to 21 months, though don't count
on it, as if anything it's more than likely going to take a combined
30+ months, and that's if nothing goes terribly wrong. Still all and
all, VL2 being within 100 fold the distance of our moon each and every
19 months isn't imposing 5% of what doing Mars is all about.

We can even utilize our gamma and hard-Xray shedding moon itself as a
gravity boosted exit phace in getting to VL2, and upon our return we
should be able once again to utilize that pesky mascon of a moon as
our gravity parking brake.

Only if one want to expose the participants to gamma and hard X rays.

[...]

We can put them there, if you like. It's mostly a question of boost.

-
Brad Guth

#191,

Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
try our new color changing variant?

Old April 11th 07, 05:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.astro
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics,

wrote
on 10 Apr 2007 10:24:32 -0700
.com:
On Apr 9, 10:02 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
wrote:
In sci.physics, Art Deco

wrote
on Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:24:51 -0600
:

wrote:

If your DNA doesn't like those nasty energy spectrums of gamma and
Xrays, then by all means POOF VL2 and/or best the toasty surface of,
or for certain that of cruising just above the deck of Venus is for
you.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

Wha? Did you say something, Brad?

Oh, he said something all right. Whether it's
comprehensible to those of us who like to think in more
conventional terms is very difficult to say. :-)

In any event, VL2 is far enough away from Venus to require
a very long arm to touch Venus. Of course one might
envision a shuttlebus or some such -- assuming there's
anything really worth seeing apart from Venusian cloud
formations.

#191,
If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

Once again, I'll have to ask; what ever happened to that other nice
"The Ghost In The Machine", that not only wasn't a Jewish Third Reich
minion, but would never have intentionally posted into their
"alt.fan.art-bell and alt.usenet.kooks" cultism?

If you think I'm Jewish, I will have to disappoint you.
I don't even have a menorah, a yarmulke, or a dreidl,
though I might have an eight-sided die someplace, plus
a Chinese chess set, and I do have a beard.

(It's a long story.)

Is this the official LLPOF "The Ghost In The Machine", or is it of
some other borg member of your silly group of such ****ology expertise
that's otherwise more Jewish than not?

How much of Art Deco and the like of such butt sucking is your LLPOF
mindset actually worth these days?

Your statements to Art Deco are clearly telling of your intended
actions. Is Art Deco your MI/NSA boss, or is he just your assigned
team leader?

That would be telling. Can't be too careful, what with al Qaeda running
about; it might lead to dancing.

-
Brad Guth

#191,

Linux makes one use one's mind.
Windows just messes with one's head.

#191,
Linux makes one use one's mind.
Windows just messes with one's head.

Whatever you folks wish to think or want us to believe you are,
whereas it's the past, current and future actions by folks like
yourself that count, not your silly words.

It was the actions of Hitler, not of his words, that accomplished so
much global trauma and deminse upon humanity, and essentially the same
can be said of the actions taken by our resident LLPOF warlord(GW
Bush).

In other words, you folks have not been making me a happy camper, and
you know how unfortunate that turned out for having made Usama bin
Laden's an unhappy camper.

Have you got that name of whomever you've gotten past go?
-
Brad Guth

Old April 11th 07, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Apr 10, 9:36 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
wrote:
In sci.physics,

wrote
on 10 Apr 2007 12:24:22 -0700
.com:

wrote:
So OK then. How does one convert CO2 to O2 in a 9.3 MPa, 860F
environment?

The same exact technical process as for doing Mars, except you don't
have to import a nuclear reactor for accommodating the necessary
process energy, nor having to wait for a year's worth of processing to
take place, and therefore roughly less than 1% the cost and
complications of doing Mars. I can't recall each of the technical
steps in that process of converting co2 back into the raw elements of
co/o2, but it's posted on the internet by the likes of Dr. Zubrin and
several others if we ever need to know such specifics.

Erm, the raw elements of CO2 are C and O2. CO is carbon monoxide.

I do believe CO can be obtained as one of the CO2 process options, and
is actually a perfectly usable rocket fuel, though I'm informed that
it's not terribly thrust efficient nor clean to burn (perhaps worth
more noise than thrust, but human hearing would likely have been
intentionally disabled anyway).

At nearly 100 bar, the human need of O2 isn't going to be 1%, with the
remainder as H2 and we're good to go (actually as little as 0.5% O2
and 99.5% H2 should be doable). Venus has no actual shortage of O2 or
H2, or actually there's no shortage of easily extracting teratonnes
worth h2o from those relatively cool acidic clouds above the S8 layer,
therefore h2o2 seems perfectly doable.

Surviving at VL2's POOF city is offering somewhat tenuous odds, as
rather dependent upon how much shield is accomplishing how much actual
good, and of the naked physical truth of having to avoid whatever is
passing nearby or through your POOF that has your name on it.
Otherwise this POOF city should be nearly as safe as ISS, although
without benefit of a magnetosphere as shield from those waves upon
waves of solar wind that's continually blowing the upper atmospheric
stuff of Venus directly your way, is perhaps a bit more of an unknown.

The lack of magnetosphere shouldn't be a problem, though I'd have to
research the issue; most of the danger comes from the Sun, which is
occluded.

The peak spectrum of available solar energy is actually worth nearly 4
kw/m2, but as you say, most of that potential energy (including the
very worse of halo CMEs) is being nicely isolated and/or diverted by
way of Venus staying in the way.

We can even utilize our gamma and hard-Xray shedding moon itself as a
gravity boosted exit phase in getting to VL2, and upon our return we
should be able once again to utilize that pesky mascon of a moon as
our gravity parking brake.

Only if one want to expose the participants to gamma and hard X rays.

That is true, but we'd likely be going like a freaking bat out of
hell, perhaps trekking out of town at 30+ km/s, which doesn't give our
frail DNA all that much time of gamma and hard Xray TBI exposure to
our naked moon that's so terribly reactive plus being a little extra
radioactive to boot.

In returning from VL2, the gravity braking maneuver(s) of another
close swing or two past our nasty moon would also be accomplished at a
fairly great deal of velocity, therefore once again our frail DNA
shouldn't get traumatised past the point of no return if we're only
talking about adding minutes or perhaps seconds worth of peak exposure
as to whatever cobalt hard or even titanium soft gamma that moon as to
deliver.

Too bad we don't have those station keeping robust habitats at our
moon's L1 for safely accommodating such crew and passengers returning
from whatever other worlds or moons, or better yet of there being
something deep underground upon our salty moon would become nearly the
ideal biological isolation, offering the ultimate solution that's
close enough to home to suit for all but physical contact.

We can put them there, if you like. It's mostly a question of boost.

I would very much like that, especially if this effort can start off
with getting a 10,000 kg package parked into the moon's L1, with more
features and possibly habitat added as time and resources allow (AKA
somewhat Clarke Station).

I agree, in that possibly a boost of using roughly a 120:1 ratio of
rocket per payload should accomplish the deployment task quickly
enough, whereas otherwise if being of a robotic platform of science
instruments, whereas it could be given a lunar month to get there, in
which case perhaps as little as a modern 80:1 ratio of a sufficiently
low inert mass worth of rocket/payload should more than do the trick.

You folks wouldn't happen to have a spare rocket sitting around?
-
Brad Guth

Old April 11th 07, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.astro
[email protected]

We see that your bed wetting partner in crimes against humanity "Fart
Deco" is stuck to my shoe like so much used toilet paper. That's what
I get for using those public outhouses, like the one represented by
this warm and fuzzy anti-think-tank of your mutually naysay Usenet,
that's otherwise from his mostly Jewish crapolla hell on Earth that
the likes of "Fart Deco" can't possibly get enough fornication out of.
-
Brad Guth

very cool ROC Amateur Astronomy 2 June 28th 05 06:00 AM
COOL www.ultravideo.fr.st Astronomy Misc 0 March 29th 04 04:44 AM
COOL www.ultravideo.fr.st Amateur Astronomy 0 March 29th 04 04:44 AM
Cool! Sally Misc 3 November 27th 03 02:21 PM
Cool! Sally UK Astronomy 2 November 27th 03 01:56 PM