Apollo: One gas environment?

Old May 13th 04, 07:53 PM
OM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:54:03 -0500, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

Well, PNG's better than both - unencumbered by any patents and any
browser newer than 3 or 4 years old ought to be able to render it fine.

....PNG has one benefit: it allows for transparency in high-res images.
However, it's damn near uncompressable, and I've found that just
simply doing a JPG with a border that matches the background is far
better looking than either a transparent GIF or a PNG.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 13th 04, 08:21 PM
Hop David

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"Henry Spencer" wrote in message

I would be very surprised if TSA's airport-security screeners are truly
race/color-blind.

I should hope they are not. Being politically correct and searching the
bloomers of retirees while going out of the way to even look at someone who
fits the historical profile is hurting security.

There have been some successful retiree drug smugglers. Being white,
elderly,respectable looking folks, border inspectors were more likely to
wave their Winnabegos on through.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old May 13th 04, 08:32 PM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:40:09 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"Nicholas Fitzpatrick" babbled

At least I have always used legitimate e-mail addresses.

...No, you changed it slightly three times, because that's how many
times I have you in my killfile, you twit.

I have used a valid e-mail address and my full name on every
post I have made. If your killfile software can't handle
minor address variations that all resolve to the same IP, that is
not my problem.

Personally, I don't know how to e-mail you ... it isn't obvious to
me, from your e-mail address. Though if I ever meet an 8-year old who
needs some new insults, I'm sure I can figure out how to contact
you somehow. ...

And finally, if you are going to killfile me, please do so, and shut
up about it ...

You have (again) proven yourself for what you are, a narrow-minded
intolerant bigot. Please go somewhere else and play.

Nick
Old May 13th 04, 09:47 PM
Hop David

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"Nicholas Fitzpatrick" wrote in message

Scott Hedrick wrote:

Well, it sure turned out that the French were doing business there
illegally, along with the Germans and the Russians. No wonder they fought
against enforcing UN sanctions- they had been violating them the whole

time.

I haven't seen much discussion of this in the media

Of course not- it supports Bush.

Especially Fox. I wish Rupert would cut Bush some slack.

Old May 14th 04, 01:42 AM
OM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:03:35 -0500, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

However, gender-based discrimination IS acceptable if gender is a specific, justifiable job
requirement - a waitress at "Hooters" for example (and yes, there has
been federal court litigation about working for "Hooters").

....Not all of it has gone in Hooter's favor. Some of those suits over
gals being either fired or denied employment because their tits
weren't big enough - or, in one case, Hooter's refusing to employ
women whose tits were big enough because they were fake - went against
Hooter's and they were forced to either hire the flat-chested ones or
pay settlements. It varied from state to state, and has never gotten
to the Federal court level, IIRC.

....On the other hand, it has been successfully used to keep
transvestites out of posing as women in strip clubs where they're not
wanted by either customers or the other dancers, but not against
transsexuals who've undergone the full plumbing realignment. There's
some clubs that do hire transvestites who've undergone all the surgery
except for the neutering, but they're less than 1% of the total clubs
in the country. However, one particular case was closed along these
lines:

Judge: "Er...'Ma'am', do you still have male genitalia?"

Tranny: "Of course! The reason I'm stripping is to earn the money to
have the surgery and convert myself into a woman! The manager claims
I'm packing too much meat, and everyone can see and is supposedly
getting disgusted!"

Judge: "Well, I can sympathize, but in this case the discrimination
isn't unjustified, as this picture of you dancing shows clearly that
their concerns aren't unwarranted. I'm siding with the club owners and
managers, but will make it clear that once you've completed your
'change', they need to consider hiring you back."

....The tranny appealed, and it got tossed out. Last I heard on this
one, some customer got wind of what happened, and paid for the
surgery, and s/he got hired back as the judge promised. Go figure.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 14th 04, 06:07 PM
Pat Flannery

Doug... wrote:

I would think that, by forcing the Allies to slog through Italy from
1942-44, Germany and the Axis countries possibly delayed the eventual
invasion of Europe via France by as much as a year. (Granted, the
invasion might still have had to wait until June of '44 just to assemble
the mass of warmaking machinery and the vehicles to deliver it that was
required for a successful invasion.)

Italy gave us a base from which to operate B-17s and B-24s against the
Axis oil fields, like Ploesti- which would have been out of range from
Britain. My dad's B-24 squadron was in on some of the Ploesti strikes.
Lack of oil that was one of the main things that brought Germany to it's
knees in the later war period, so the Italian invasion was definitely
worth it.

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 06:28 PM
Doug...

says...

Doug... wrote:

I would think that, by forcing the Allies to slog through Italy from
1942-44, Germany and the Axis countries possibly delayed the eventual
invasion of Europe via France by as much as a year. (Granted, the
invasion might still have had to wait until June of '44 just to assemble
the mass of warmaking machinery and the vehicles to deliver it that was
required for a successful invasion.)

Italy gave us a base from which to operate B-17s and B-24s against the
Axis oil fields, like Ploesti- which would have been out of range from
Britain. My dad's B-24 squadron was in on some of the Ploesti strikes.
Lack of oil that was one of the main things that brought Germany to it's
knees in the later war period, so the Italian invasion was definitely
worth it.

Yeah, very true. Altough the Allies were pretty good at finding and
holding the staging bases they needed as the war progressed. If they
didn't have Italy to stage air strikes from, they likely would have
found, taken and built air bases on some other piece(s) of real estate
they could have held for long enough to get the job done.

My Dad's B-17 squadron was in on a lot of the air strikes into Italy
itself, during the land campaign in "the Boot" in 1943, and he flew out
of England. A lot of Europe was within range of the British bases,
actually...

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), my Dad
was one of the many fliers who contracted pneumonia from the extreme
cold encountered on the unpressurized B-17s during their high-altitude
bombing missions, and ended up stateside before his tour was completed.
Since they had *very* little in the way of antibiotics at the time, he
was treated with sulfa drugs. The high fever and the sulfa resulted in
all his hair falling out, and when it came back in, he was completely
gray at the temples. At age 19.

Still, at least he survived the war and lived to the ripe old age of 74.
His older brother was killed at age 19 in a car accident, driving back
to base after his last leave before shipping out. I never knew my
uncle.

So, as a general comment, I don't want anyone to think I don't know from
personal experience what war can do to people. I've had a lot of
exposure to what it did to my Dad.

Doug

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM