Could a small black hole surprise us on earth.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:12 PM
MrGrytt

Default Could a small black hole surprise us on earth.

Buy, rent or find a way to watch "Hyperspace". It's on DVD if you
want to buy or rent it. I think it will answer all your questions,
and a lot more, assuming the info is at all accurate.

H.G.

wrote in message .com...
I have a question.

We would probably get some warning about a comet or an asteroid - but what
about a pea size black hole? If one hit the moon would it be like a match
to paper and suck the entire moon into itself even if it took some time?
Could an invisible small black hole just show up over the Sierra Nevada and
no one would have foreseen it and it would destroy the earth? Would it
destroy the earth instantly or would there be some fantastically horrible
slow whirlpool of matter into a small black hole so that we would all have
time to feel intense fear?

I suspect these questions have been answered many times before but I have
been looking for several months and I bet other's are wondering too.

Old February 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
Cousin Ricky

jerry warner wrote in message ...
Black holes or related high energy entities on the order of a molecule or an
atom or
smaller, must be exceedingly rare, as compared with say neutrons? Neutrons do
pass through the Earth daily without any short term recognition.

Do you mean "neutrons" or "neutrinos"? Neutrons can be stopped by a
swimming pool. (Ask any nuclear power plant operator.) They
certainly cannot pass through the Earth.

Neutrinos, OTOH, are a vastly different story. Every night trillions
of them zip through you harmlessly every second, after having breezed
through thousands of km of rock. (I don't know the exact number,
because of all the treatments and dissertations of the solar neutrino
problem and the expected number of neutrinos, i have yet to find a
single source that actually states what that number is. Sam?
Whatever the number, it's unfathomably huge.)

Not that neutrons are rare either. Something on the order of half
your body mass is neutrons.

Clear skies!

--
------------------- Richard Callwood III --------------------
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~

Old February 25th 04, 04:39 AM
JXStern

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:58:21 GMT, wrote:
I have a question.

We would probably get some warning about a comet or an asteroid - but what
about a pea size black hole? If one hit the moon would it be like a match
to paper and suck the entire moon into itself even if it took some time?
Could an invisible small black hole just show up over the Sierra Nevada and
no one would have foreseen it and it would destroy the earth? Would it
destroy the earth instantly or would there be some fantastically horrible
slow whirlpool of matter into a small black hole so that we would all have
time to feel intense fear?

I suspect these questions have been answered many times before but I have
been looking for several months and I bet other's are wondering too.

Based on my long reading of pseudo-technical sci-fi, I have to opine
that none of this is likely to happen. The only way you'd get most of
these effects is if the black hole arrived at very slow speeds. At
even asteroid speeds of 30k km/hour, even if it hit head-on, it would
pass through the Earth and out the other side in fifteen minutes, a
few million tons heavier perhaps, but we'd never miss them.
Relatively little transfer of momentum. At the higher speeds that
galactic arrival suggests, even less effect. It'd be like shooting a
bullet through a chocolate cake, the bullet wouldn't even "see" the
target. Not that I've spent a lot of time shooting bullets through
chocolate cakes.

Try reading "The Forge of God" by Greg Bear for amusement and what I
take to be reasonably accurate speculations. Also the short story
"The Hole Man" by Larry Niven, in the collection "A Hole In Space."

J.

Old February 25th 04, 04:48 AM

"JXStern" wrote in message
[...]

This are good leads. Thx