Celestron 11-inch

Old August 27th 18, 01:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

Default Celestron 11-inch

I've had a 5" Astro Physics OTA for 19 years
and finally broke down and bought an 11"
Celestron. It came a week ago and the mount
seems to work just fine.

The problem occurred when I tried to mount
the finder scope. The instructions say the
mounting plate attaches to two holes in the
OTA with two supplied screws. But no screws
and no holes! Anyone up on this problem?

I emailed tech support Friday. Hopefully, I'll
hear from them today :-)

Gary
Old August 27th 18, 02:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rodney Pont[_6_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 05:40:14 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel wrote:

I've had a 5" Astro Physics OTA for 19 years
and finally broke down and bought an 11"
Celestron. It came a week ago and the mount
seems to work just fine.

The problem occurred when I tried to mount
the finder scope. The instructions say the
mounting plate attaches to two holes in the
OTA with two supplied screws. But no screws
and no holes! Anyone up on this problem?

I emailed tech support Friday. Hopefully, I'll
hear from them today :-)

The screws are in the side of the back cover, about 60 degrees from the
mount. You remove the screws and then fit them again passing through
the mount for the finder.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old August 27th 18, 06:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 8:01:04 AM UTC-6, Rodney Pont wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 05:40:14 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel wrote:

The problem occurred when I tried to mount
the finder scope. The instructions say the
mounting plate attaches to two holes in the
OTA with two supplied screws. But no screws
and no holes! Anyone up on this problem?

I emailed tech support Friday. Hopefully, I'll
hear from them today :-)

The screws are in the side of the back cover, about 60 degrees
from the mount. You remove the screws and then fit them again
passing through the mount for the finder.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Thanks, Rodney. Yes, there are two pairs of screws in the back rim
up 60 degrees or so from the bottom on each side and the right
distance apart to fit the mount. I assumed they were for that
purpose and tried removing them but they wouldn't budge. I was
afraid the heads would twist off so I desisted. They shouldn't
be so tight, should they?

Gary

Old August 27th 18, 08:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rodney Pont[_6_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:49:04 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel wrote:

Thanks, Rodney. Yes, there are two pairs of screws in the back rim
up 60 degrees or so from the bottom on each side and the right
distance apart to fit the mount. I assumed they were for that
purpose and tried removing them but they wouldn't budge. I was
afraid the heads would twist off so I desisted. They shouldn't
be so tight, should they?

I don't recall any problem undoing mine. I know screws can sometimes
seem tight if you don't have the correct size screwdriver.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old August 28th 18, 11:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:31:04 PM UTC-6, Rodney Pont wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:49:04 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel wrote:

Thanks, Rodney. Yes, there are two pairs of screws in the
back rim up 60 degrees or so from the bottom on each side and
the right distance apart to fit the mount. I assumed they
were for that purpose and tried removing them but they wouldn't
budge. I was afraid the heads would twist off so I desisted.

They shouldn't be so tight, should they?

I don't recall any problem undoing mine. I know screws can sometimes
seem tight if you don't have the correct size screwdriver.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

I got an email from tech support and they said to unscrew those two
screws just as you said. I'll give it another try. Thanks.

Gary
Old August 29th 18, 12:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 06:43:03 UTC-4, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:31:04 PM UTC-6, Rodney Pont wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:49:04 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel wrote:

Thanks, Rodney. Yes, there are two pairs of screws in the
back rim up 60 degrees or so from the bottom on each side and
the right distance apart to fit the mount. I assumed they
were for that purpose and tried removing them but they wouldn't
budge. I was afraid the heads would twist off so I desisted.

They shouldn't be so tight, should they?

I don't recall any problem undoing mine. I know screws can sometimes
seem tight if you don't have the correct size screwdriver.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

I got an email from tech support and they said to unscrew those two
screws just as you said. I'll give it another try. Thanks.

Gary

Use the right size driver to avoid stripping. Unfortunately, Americans embraced the Philips head screw instead of the Robertson and we've suffered for it ever since.