Need to know what certain parts are on a telescope are

Old August 30th 12, 04:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Need to know what certain parts are on a telescope are

On Aug 29, 7:18*pm, "Howard Lester"
wrote:
* On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:38:06 AM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:

* That's because it's hard to find the information. Looking through the

manual (really just a pamphlet):

focal length: 700mm f/9

eye-pieces: SR4mm, H12.5mm, H20mm

Apertu 76mm (3")

3X Barlow lens, 1.5X Erecting lens.

Considering the above descriptions, I can almost guarantee they're 0.965"
eyepieces, which is (or at least was 50 years ago) the standard size for
microscope eyepieces. No one I know of anymore makes Huygens or Symmetrical
eyepieces in 1-1/4". By the way, you can put the Barlow away... The
magnification it can provide with your setup is way too high for what it can
possibly use.

While the eyepieces are likely 0.965 the focuser may very well be 1.25-
inch. If not, the OP may wish to return the telescope he has and buy
this instead:

http://www.telescope.com/Clearance-C...81/p/79843.uts

Old August 30th 12, 04:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Aug 29, 1:38*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 26/08/2012 1:04 AM, palsing wrote:

Well, it is really hard to pry necessary info from you. We really
need to know what size those eyepieces are; 0.965, 1.25 or 2.00 (all
in inches)? Without this knowledge, it will simply take longer to
answer your questions. Also, the aperture and focal length both
figure into magnification calculations...

That's because it's hard to find the information. Looking through the
manual (really just a pamphlet):

focal length: 700mm f/9
eye-pieces: SR4mm, H12.5mm, H20mm
Apertu 76mm (3")
3X Barlow lens, 1.5X Erecting lens.

That is similar to one of my early telescopes, except that mine did
not come with a Barlow. What is the focuser diameter? Does it have a
removable adapter of some sort?

Old August 30th 12, 04:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 29/08/2012 7:18 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
Considering the above descriptions, I can almost guarantee they're
0.965" eyepieces, which is (or at least was 50 years ago) the standard
size for microscope eyepieces. No one I know of anymore makes Huygens or
Symmetrical eyepieces in 1-1/4". By the way, you can put the Barlow
away... The magnification it can provide with your setup is way too high
for what it can possibly use.

Okay, I was figuring out that the Barlow is almost impossible to see
through, anyway. That explains it now.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 30th 12, 04:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 29/08/2012 6:13 PM, palsing wrote:
Measure the eyepiece barrel diameter, it will be either just under
one inch, 1-1/4 inch or (very unlikely) 2 inches. Only then can any
suggestions be made regarding mounting a camera in front of the
eyepiece.

All I got is a ruler to measure it with, and it's just under an inch
(approx. 23mm).

Yousuf Khan
Old August 30th 12, 06:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-08-30, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 29/08/2012 6:13 PM, palsing wrote:
Measure the eyepiece barrel diameter, it will be either just under
one inch, 1-1/4 inch or (very unlikely) 2 inches. Only then can any
suggestions be made regarding mounting a camera in front of the
eyepiece.

All I got is a ruler to measure it with, and it's just under an inch
(approx. 23mm).

Yousuf Khan

Probably the size is 24.5 mm, which is a common size for imported
telescopes. Edmund Scientific used to call it "Japanese Standard",
although I think the Germans used it first. US made telescope eyepieces
usually were 1-1/4 inch. You could find "Giant Erfles" in 2 inch barrels,
way back when. 23 mm is a common barrel size for microscope eyepieces,
but is not often seen on telescopes. It might be hard to put a camera
on that 3" reflector because it most likely is not seriously intended
for photography. You might find that the camera won't focus.

Bud

Bud
Old August 30th 12, 08:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 30/08/2012 00:18, Howard Lester wrote:

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:38:06 AM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:

That's because it's hard to find the information. Looking through the

manual (really just a pamphlet):

focal length: 700mm f/9

eye-pieces: SR4mm, H12.5mm, H20mm

Apertu 76mm (3")

3X Barlow lens, 1.5X Erecting lens.

Considering the above descriptions, I can almost guarantee they're
0.965" eyepieces, which is (or at least was 50 years ago) the standard
size for microscope eyepieces. No one I know of anymore makes Huygens or
Symmetrical eyepieces in 1-1/4". By the way, you can put the Barlow
away... The magnification it can provide with your setup is way too high
for what it can possibly use.

Actually they do. The modern toy scopes above a certain price point do
now have exactly this set of eyepieces in 1.25" fitting. But still
including the nearly useless 4mm Ramsden and utterly dire 3x Barlow.

26mm, 16mm, 10mm + 2x Barlow would make a lot more sense.

The OP might like to look at Surplus shed for budget eyepieces that
might help fill in the gaps. He could do with something around 32mm.
(or shorter 26mm if it is a 0.965 tube)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 9th 12, 04:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sep 9, 9:56*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 29/08/2012 11:09 PM, wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:38 pm, Yousuf *wrote:
That's because it's hard to find the information. Looking through the
manual (really just a pamphlet):

focal length: 700mm f/9
eye-pieces: SR4mm, H12.5mm, H20mm
Apertu 76mm (3")
3X Barlow lens, 1.5X Erecting lens.

That is similar to one of my early telescopes, except that mine did
not come with a Barlow. *What is the focuser diameter? *Does it have a
removable adapter of some sort?

I have no idea, how do I find that out?

If the focuser drawtube, the part that moves when you are trying to
focus, is more than 1.25 inches in outside diameter, then you -might-
be able to unscrew the part that holds the 0.965 inch eyepieces in
place, and have a focuser which will then accept 1.25-inch
eyepieces. It is well worth investigating this.
Old September 10th 12, 03:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 09/09/2012 11:41 AM, wrote:
On Sep 9, 9:56 am, Yousuf wrote:
On 29/08/2012 11:09 PM, wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:38 pm, Yousuf wrote:
That's because it's hard to find the information. Looking through the
manual (really just a pamphlet):

focal length: 700mm f/9
eye-pieces: SR4mm, H12.5mm, H20mm
Apertu 76mm (3")
3X Barlow lens, 1.5X Erecting lens.

That is similar to one of my early telescopes, except that mine did
not come with a Barlow. What is the focuser diameter? Does it have a
removable adapter of some sort?

I have no idea, how do I find that out?

If the focuser drawtube, the part that moves when you are trying to
focus, is more than 1.25 inches in outside diameter, then you -might-
be able to unscrew the part that holds the 0.965 inch eyepieces in
place, and have a focuser which will then accept 1.25-inch
eyepieces. It is well worth investigating this.

Oh okay, that part has an adjustable screw that can be used to tighten
the eyepiece holders down. Other than that, it can't be increased in
size in any way. However, it does have some screws at its base that
holds it in place against the body of the telescope, and it seems to be
removable after unscrewing.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 11th 12, 12:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sep 9, 10:18*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 09/09/2012 11:41 AM, wrote:

On Sep 9, 9:56 am, Yousuf *wrote:
On 29/08/2012 11:09 PM, wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:38 pm, Yousuf * *wrote:
[...]

Is this Newtonian telescope roughly as long as its focal length, in
this case 700 mm or about 27+ inches? Or is it much shorter, perhaps
only about 300-350 mm?