Eight exoplanet transits (June-July, 2012)

Old September 9th 12, 04:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

Default Eight exoplanet transits (June-July, 2012)

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:44:42 PM UTC-7, Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Τη Σάββατο, 8 Σεπτεμβρίου 2012 11:47:41 μ..μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Jan Owen *γραψε:

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:11:15 AM UTC-7, Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear group,

Finally an opportunity to process some exoplanet transit data collected during the past two months now that the graphics software is up and running once again following a new edition of php which made many earlier commands obsolete.

(1) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...3-20120707.htm - HD 189733 in Vul hosts one of only two exoplanets with confirmed water vapour in its atmosphere and also one of the brightest exoplanet host stars (mag 7.67)

(2) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...2-20120730.htm - WASP 2 in Del which requires a mere 51.6 hours to orbit its sun

(3) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...2-20120728.htm - CoRoT-2 in Aql and which defies current theory given its radius which is too large for its mass

(4) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...3-20120720.htm - HAT-P-23 in Del is characterized with significant tidal effects due to its high mass and close proximity to its host star

(5) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...5-20120709.htm - HAT-P-5 in Lyr is a low-density "hot Jupiter"

(6) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...3-20120705.htm - WASP-3 in Lyr may be characterized with a ring system

(7) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...1-20120704.htm - Qatar-1 in Dra is one of two finds by this new exoplanet hunting team

(8) http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...4-20120625.htm - GJ 1214 in Oph is a very tough target owing to a dim exoplanet host star (mag 14.67)

Anthony.

Nice to see you're still hard at work... Been a long time since I've been around to say that... Hope you're doing well...

Jan

Jan,

REALLY good to hear from you after all of these years.

Fingers crossed you will be able to stick around ... pay particular attention to the threads and messages by a guy named "Oriel". They are a hoot!

Anthony.

Is Oriel related to Nancy of yore?
Old September 9th 12, 06:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Sep 9, 5:41*am, Jan Owen wrote:

Is Oriel related to Nancy of yore?

Retch, o'Hanson, Andrex, Whensenceless and Soil are all, one and the
same, badly broken program. They connected quite accidentally after
being cast adrift in the bobbing, virtual life raft that is all that
remains of the USS s.a.a. back up, floppy drive after it caught the
Windows, Wooden Cart virus on an early Oxen changeover.

Having discovered the power of anonymity and immortality, in a
confined space, the program launched into a new, combined career. They
now bail the sea as constantly and as rapidly as possible into the
already sinking boat. Welcome to your worst nightmare! News of our
demise is still lost somewhere in the twisted pair, serial interface.
I suggest you just follow the light and try not to breathe the toxic
atmosphere.

BTW: Please keep your use of the remaining Davy Lamp to a minimum. In
case you wake the crew.

Chris.B. Absolutely no connection. (with virtual reality)
Old September 9th 12, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

(1)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120707.htm- HD 189733 in Vul hosts one of only two exoplanets with confirmed water vapour in its atmosphere and also one of the brightest exoplanet host stars (mag 7.67)

(2)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120730.htm- WASP 2 in Del which requires a mere 51.6 hours to orbit its sun

(3)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120728.htm- CoRoT-2 in Aql and which defies current theory given its radius which is too large for its mass

(4)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120720.htm- HAT-P-23 in Del is characterized with significant tidal effects due to its high mass and close proximity to its host star

(5)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120709.htm- HAT-P-5 in Lyr is a low-density "hot Jupiter"

(6)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120705.htm- WASP-3 in Lyr may be characterized with a ring system

(7)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120704.htm- Qatar-1 in Dra is one of two finds by this new exoplanet hunting team

(8)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...-20120625.htm- GJ 1214 in Oph is a very tough target owing to a dim exoplanet host star (mag 14.67)

Anthony.

Nice to see you're still hard at work... *Been a long time since I've been around to say that... *Hope you're doing well...

Jan

Jan,

REALLY good to hear from you after all of these years.

Fingers crossed you will be able to stick around ... pay particular attention to the threads and messages by a guy named "Oriel". They are a hoot!

Anthony.

Is Oriel related to Nancy of yore?

It is alright son,I've seen a thousand like you come and go .

I happen to be the single astronomer here who believes that one
rotation of the Earth keeps in step with the 24 hour day and 1461
rotations encloses 4 orbital circuits of the Earth.

As for you,well,we will see how long you will last.
Old September 9th 12, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 9, 5:35*am, Jan Owen wrote:
[...]

Have only had time to read a couple of Oriel's posts, but sounds a little reminiscent of *Nancy*(IIRC) from days of yore...

I never changed anything over the years which is why it is easier to
search my posts for people like yourself -

https://groups.google.com/group/sci....77dd75d6002f71

I unfortunately insulted the astrologers,I since discovered that you
and you buddies were homocentrists - a specific group with a specific
belief.

Run along now.
Old September 9th 12, 10:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

On Sunday, September 9, 2012 11:56:21 AM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:35*am, Jan Owen wrote:

[...]

No. I wouldn't expect you to change. And, see! You were no worse off without me... Just like I was no worse off without you... Our worlds never really ever cross.

I've always been around to try & help new amateur astronomers learn how to use their equipment more effectively. Or how to get more from observations.. I do that on multiple venues. While it doesn't appear there remain many here I can help (since many of my friends who have remained here have not been any worse off without me, and many of them have as much, or more, experience than my 45+ years), those still remaining from earlier times (Jurassic Period?) are simply old friends doing something we find to be mutually enjoyable...

I don't dabble in the things you do, so by all means, continue what you were doing, before I returned. And continue to do it in good health.
Old September 10th 12, 07:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

(1)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...0120707.htm-HD 189733 in Vul hosts one of only two exoplanets with confirmed water vapour in its atmosphere and also one of the brightest exoplanet host stars (mag 7.67)

(2)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...20730.htm-WASP 2 in Del which requires a mere 51.6 hours to orbit its sun

(3)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...28.htm-CoRoT-2 in Aql and which defies current theory given its radius which is too large for its mass

(4)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...0.htm-HAT-P-23 in Del is characterized with significant tidal effects due to its high mass and close proximity to its host star

(5)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...09.htm-HAT-P-5 in Lyr is a low-density "hot Jupiter"

(6)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...705.htm-WASP-3 in Lyr may be characterized with a ring system

(7)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...04.htm-Qatar-1 in Dra is one of two finds by this new exoplanet hunting team

(8)http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photomet...0120625.htm-GJ 1214 in Oph is a very tough target owing to a dim exoplanet host star (mag 14.67)

https://groups.google.com/group/sci....e_thread/threa...

I unfortunately insulted the astrologers,I since discovered that you

and you buddies were homocentrists - a specific group with a specific

belief.

Run along now.

No. *I wouldn't expect you to change. *And, see! *You were no worse off without me... *Just like I was no worse off without you.... *Our worlds never really ever cross.

Many people do change .About the same time you hightailed it out of
this newsgroup I was working through the outlines of an astronomical
approach to evolutionary geology when nobody else was although many
have tried without success.Far from adopting the proper line of
reasoning which involves differential rotation observed in all
rotating celestial objects with exposed rotating viscous
compositions,they threw every assertion they could find and created a
Frankenstein's monster of a thing so yes,our world's do not cross yet
apparently so have seen the outlines of my world.

Now many others do not change,take for instance the guy who started
this thread and his analemmas.I explained in depth that the daily and
planetary dynamics of the Earth cannot be explained by a useless
analemma or stellar circumpolar motion yet the people who influence
student imagine they do despite locating the origins of these awful
homocentric mutations.The fact is the Greek guy never altered his
position and still puts his harmless analemma exercise on par with the
moon landing despite the fact that his Greek ancestors were already
working with the principles and observations which separated the Sun
and moon from the other planets by virtue that the Sun and moon don't
wander - that is genuine astronomy and that what has been missing from
this world for so long.

As long as these things remain unresolved and many,many issues that
destabilize the astronomical narrative containing technical principles
and historical developments then the world will be a poorer place.

I've always been around to try & help new amateur astronomers learn how to use their equipment more effectively.

You are among a group that are really magnification enthusiasts and a
group that is creating havoc in the wider community insofar as the
wider community has very little exposure to astronomy as it is really
practiced and that while magnification in itself is a wonderful
addition to astronomy it is only a recent one.

*Or how to get more from observations. *I do that on multiple venues.
*While it doesn't appear there remain many here I can help (since many
of my friends who have remained here have not been any worse off
without me, and many of them have as much, or more, experience than my
45+ years), those still remaining from earlier times (Jurassic
Period?) are simply old friends doing something we find to be mutually
enjoyable...

I don't dabble in the things you do, so by all means, continue what you were doing, before I returned. *And continue to do it in good health.

You feigned ignorance of my presence and that is fine,I have seen many
people do the same yet somewhere in the background the paid community
has been paying attention.I have only interested in the observational
data from magnification and rarely interfere with the enthusiasts who
happen to be norm ally middle class guys with mirror envy or something
like that.

Old September 11th 12, 11:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

oriel36 wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:41 am, Jan Owen wrote:
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:44:42 PM UTC-7, Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
¤· £¬²²±Ä¿, 8 £µÀĵ¼²Á¯¿Å 2012 11:47:41 ¼.¼. UTC+3, ¿ ÇÁ®ÃÄ·Â Jan Owen *³Á±Èµ:

[...]

You're in patronising mode again. That's always a sign that you're feeling
insecure.

I happen to be the single astronomer here

You're not an astronomer.

who believes that one
rotation of the Earth keeps in step with the 24 hour day and 1461
rotations encloses 4 orbital circuits of the Earth.

Science is not a matter of wishful thinking. Unreasoning belief when the
evidence is against you is the opposite of science.
Old September 11th 12, 07:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 11, 12:25*pm, Mike Collins wrote:
oriel36 wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:41 am, Jan Owen wrote:
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:44:42 PM UTC-7, Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Ŀ, 8 ĵ 2012 11:47:41 .. UTC+3, ķ Jan Owen *ȵ:

[...]

As the man said,it is a different world and don't mistake intimacy
with these gorgeous astronomical topics for isolation - although it
would be fine to discuss issues among men,unfortunately that is not
possible when astronomy is limited to magnification enthusiasts who
have so much trouble with simple correlations including the shocking
inability to match one 24 hour day with one rotation of the planet and
keep them in step.

So,as in normal life,if I have difficulty with some engineering
problem I simply go to those who are either more familiar with the
system or have designed it.I have watched as the simple reasoning
which connects the rotation of the fluid interior of the planet with
the evolution of the surface crust falls into the hands of those who
just can't handle a few lessons drawn down from astronomy and observed
in all rotating celestial objects.These things are hugely important
and despite having to endure the horror of seeing something so
productive diminished by the wider community,I have not complained
other than the technical issues.

I happen to be the single astronomer here

You're not an astronomer.

who believes that one
rotation of the Earth keeps in step with the 24 hour day *and 1461
rotations encloses 4 orbital circuits of the Earth.

Science is not a matter of wishful thinking. Unreasoning belief when the
evidence is against you is the opposite of science.

There is no reason why the existing structures cannot be used to turn
astronomy back towards a productive discipline and I well know that
while people can withdraw from astronomy for a long while and,for
instance, even go so far as deny the technical points which related
astronomy to the timekeeping systems but they cannot do so
indefinitely or at least those who value their intelligence.I am not
the outsider here and never considered myself one,my heritage is
written in the many texts that are now found online and enjoy the
continuing challenges and modifications needed to move astronomy along
after a hiatus when it became a dumping ground for theorists.

There is no evidence against me, if I count the number of days back to
the event of 9/11 I can also enclose the same number of rotations into
11 orbital circuits of the Earth,it is not difficult and includes 4
additional leap days and rotations beyond the normal 365 days/
rotations we experience as a year/orbital circuit,you cannot do this
with 1465 days/rotations enclosed in 4 years.

The devastation to astronomy when it was decided to model the motions
of the Earth using stellar circumpolar motion and a clock was almost
total,only the sheer scale of the discipline has saved it this far yet
the present situation cannot continue indefinitely regardless of what
those who make a living wish to believe.