Amateur Hams Redux Part 2

Old July 15th 03, 03:17 AM
Rod Mollise

Default Amateur Hams Redux Part 2

Hi Guys:

I just finished a very nice QSO with Howard Lester, N7SO. If you are a ham as
well as an amateur, why not join us on Echolink? The software is free, and we
can QSO without regard to condx, etc. I mean, it is cool! :-) If this sounds
interesting, I'm on most afternoons....just look for good ol' AC4WY, (Whiskey
Yell) live from Chaos Manor South! :-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old July 15th 03, 03:45 AM
Howard Lester

I'll second what Rod says!! What a treat to be able to actually talk with
Rod, whose posts I've read for years and with whom I've occasionally
corresponded privately.

Howard Lester

Old July 15th 03, 11:39 AM
Andy

Hello Rod, first let me say that I am a relative newbie to amateur astronomy
but continue to plod on through trial and tribulation methods to seek enjoyment
in this hobby. I frequently read your posts on this NG and find them very
helpful and always a pleasure to read. This topic merges my two favorite
hobbies. Ham radio and astronomy. I am a rather non-active tech (kd5ouw) who
unfortunately has lost most interest in ham radio. As a matter of fact, most of
my ham gear was sold to finance my scope. I still love ham radio, but my
passion would have to be astronomy.

I have heard mention of the echolink system before and am very interested in
what it entails. I know that this is rather OT from astronomy, but what would I
need to get into this echo link? I think it would be awesome to talk to other
amateurs who love astronomy and radio. Thanks in advance!

Andy
Old July 15th 03, 11:51 AM
Rod Mollise

Apart from echolink, is there a time and freq I can try to pick you guys up
on?

Hi:

Mainly just Echolink right now...and in the afternoons CDT...oh..about 1600L
and after...

Old July 15th 03, 11:53 AM
Rod Mollise

I know that this is rather OT from astronomy, but what would I
need to get into this echo link? I think it would be awesome to talk to
other
amateurs who love astronomy and radio. Thanks in advance!

Hi Andy:

I'll be upfront with ya...not all hams think Echolink is a good thing. Me? I
think it's wonderful. See http://www.synergenics.com/el/ for information and
the software. I am amazed how well it works even with dialup.