Celestron Starbright XLT coating?

Old January 20th 05, 02:57 AM

Default Celestron Starbright XLT coating?

I'm considering buying a Celestron 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, and
find that they can be equipped with something called "Starbright XLT"
coating, for an additional $200.00 (approx.).

Does anyone know whether this coating is necessary for any purposes?
When might it be advisable to purchase it? I'm by nature a little
skeptical of factory "add-on" costs; maybe someone more experienced
than me has been able to evaluate this coating first-hand?

--

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.lonestar.org
Old January 20th 05, 03:33 AM

I've no idea of its practical value but it certainly doesn't hurt the
re-sale value.....

Gaz

Old January 20th 05, 04:56 AM
David Grist

I've heard people say there is a marked difference between the basic scope
and one with XLT coatings. Personally, I own an C8 with the XLT coatings
but, I've never looked through one without so I couldn't say whether or not
it's any better. All I know is that the field is incredibly clear on a good
viewing night. The previous poster was also correct in saying it only adds
to the resale value.

- Dave

Old January 20th 05, 10:23 PM
RichA

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:57:55 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I'm considering buying a Celestron 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, and
find that they can be equipped with something called "Starbright XLT"
coating, for an additional $200.00 (approx.).

Does anyone know whether this coating is necessary for any purposes?
When might it be advisable to purchase it? I'm by nature a little
skeptical of factory "add-on" costs; maybe someone more experienced
than me has been able to evaluate this coating first-hand?

Word to the wise; If you intend to sell the scope, ever, get the
coatings. Also, an 8" with them is almost like a 9" without.
According to one major retailer, almost no one is ordering the
Celestrons or Meades without the XLT/UHTC coatings group.
-Rich
Old January 20th 05, 10:48 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

wrote:

I'm considering buying a Celestron 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, and
find that they can be equipped with something called "Starbright XLT"
coating, for an additional $200.00 (approx.).

Does anyone know whether this coating is necessary for any purposes?
When might it be advisable to purchase it? I'm by nature a little
skeptical of factory "add-on" costs; maybe someone more experienced
than me has been able to evaluate this coating first-hand?

Rich,

Word to the wise; If you intend to sell the scope, ever, get the
coatings. Also, an 8" with them is almost like a 9" without.
According to one major retailer, almost no one is ordering the
Celestrons or Meades without the XLT/UHTC coatings group.

I attempted to have my C14 recoated with the new XLT coatings and was
refused by Celestron on the grounds they are too busy applying these
coatings to existing orders and they do not want to interrupt production
which is in line with your retailer's statement.

Anthony.

-Rich