Stupid question

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 18th 04, 10:54 PM
Albert

Default Stupid question

Can someone help me understand this ?

The powerful telescopes are supposed to see in the past.
OK, I get thet. If you look at a distant star, you catch the light it
emitted one year ago if it is at one light-year distance.
But you cannot see the light it emitted 2 years ago, for that light has
already travelled past you.
Correct ?
Now, some say they can watch light coming from stars created just after
the big bang.
This I cannot understand, because that light should have travelled past
us already, from the original point.

Please explain ...

Stupid Question LSL Amateur Astronomy 8 June 10th 04 01:54 AM
Another Stupid Question Flying _Naked_People Misc 138 October 25th 03 12:26 PM
Stupid Naked Apes In This Newsgroup Flying _Naked_People Misc 16 September 8th 03 01:52 AM
Question about alignment & pointing north, level Mike Amateur Astronomy 8 September 7th 03 12:04 AM