argos refractor

Old November 2nd 05, 07:37 PM
David Raven

Default argos refractor

Would that be a good starter telescope for someone starting out who has a
minor physical disablilty that impedes movement of the arms?

Should do, so long as they can focus it. Definitely try before you buy.
jc

Sorry for what must seem like a dumb question: do you mean try it to see if
the telescope can be focused?

DR
Old November 3rd 05, 07:55 AM
john carruthers

Sorry for what must seem like a dumb question: do you mean try it to see
if

the telescope can be focused?

There are no 'dumb' questions, I meant try it out all round, see if it fits
your needs and expectations. Your local astronomy club will have several
models you could try out for ease of portability, control etc. Some can be
fitted with a motorised focuser, some have GOTO (motorised pointing). I
have mobility problems but manage a 10" Dob, a chair bound friend uses
monster binos on a custom mount, while an able mate doesn't use his large
'scope any more because he just can't manage it. Astro scopes sometimes
require contortions just to look through, so try it first.
jc

Old November 3rd 05, 10:03 AM
David Raven

There are no 'dumb' questions, I meant try it out all round

Thanks JC 8)

My wife has really caught the bug since we moved to Scotland last year and
with the amazing clear skies we get on a regular basis she wants to explore
further than our old 8x50 binoculars will allow.

DR
Old November 3rd 05, 11:01 AM
john carruthers

she wants to explore further than our old 8x50 binoculars will allow.
Put them on a cheap tripod, you'll more than double their ability :-)
jc

Old November 3rd 05, 02:33 PM
David Raven

Put them on a cheap tripod, you'll more than double their ability

I have a camera tripod...can I buy an adapter for the binocs?

DR
Old November 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
David Raven

I have a camera tripod...can I buy an adapter for the binocs?

Found one! I'm having my eyes opened up to a whole new world!

DR
Old November 5th 05, 06:00 PM
Colin J Denman

nytecam wrote in
:

That said I still have an old 60mm f/11 Dixon refractor that gave quite
pleasing views of Mars with good ortho eyepiece x120 max in 1971[!] -
see bottom of page http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/mars03.htm

I've still got mine too, same model by the looks of it. I got a Meade 2080
in 1986. Both gave *memorable* views, in their different ways.

--
Colin J Denman
N 51º 54' 38" W 00º 29' 45" Elev: 125m