NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

Old February 16th 18, 09:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

Default NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrongwith the Webb telescope?

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 12:23:28 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:01:40 -0800 (PST), Razzmatazz wrote:

Since I live in the city and occasionally go on trips out of town I bit the bullet and purchased a Chevy Volt. It's a great all-around vehicle and fits my needs perfectly. I normally use no gas for all our commuting needs during the week, and if I go long distance the range is about 340 miles with about 6 gallons of gas. The new Volt is even more efficient with better battery range, and the cars are cheaper than when I bought mine.

It's a hatchback and I can stuff my 17" astrograph, mount and pier into the back and have room left over for weekend camping stuff. Efficient, drives nice, comfortable for two people - I'll never be without some kind of electric car.

Razzy

I've only gotten as far as having the additional wiring for a future
charging station added to my home.

I need EVs to get to the point where an EV would be a replacement, for
one of my fossil fueled vehicles. Until then, I would need to maintain
a redundant capability which makes no financial, or environmental,
sense.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

The Volt is two cars in one. If you have daily commutes of less than 50 miles, you never use gas, but if you want to go 500 miles, you can still do it with this car, no need for a second car. I plug it in to my 120volt outlet each evening and it's fully charged in the morning. No need for a separate charging station. In fact if I need to, I can just plug it in here at work.. Full charge at work costs 40 cents and that will take me 45 - 50 miles. At home it costs about 70 cents for a full charge.

Razzy
Old February 16th 18, 11:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Bill wrote in
:

[...]

If you've already had the wiring done, you'll be waiting a long,
long time, unless you don't care about charge times when on road
trips. (To charge an EV for, say, 300 miles of range as quickly as
you can gas up a regular car, you need a 3 MW charger.)

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old February 17th 18, 03:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson:
In terms of features, we need something SUV like - no smaller than a
Highlander or Outback (got those two Great Danes to move around), with
decent ground clearance (several miles off road just to get to our 3/4
mile driveway for the new house we're building), and AWD (rather steep
off road in places, with marginal maintenance in winter). Something
will come along in the next few years, I'm certain.

Indeed it will; everything is in flux. Only question is who will
release the breakthrough car. Your only choice now is the Tesla X. It
will hold your puppies. It doesn't do the kind of off-road that you see
in the Jeep ads, but unpaved roads and tracks don't faze it. A big plus
is that if you should pave those several miles that you must traverse
to get to your driveway it has a top speed in excess of 150mph.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 18th 18, 01:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 15:44:29 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:

If you've already had the wiring done, you'll be waiting a long,
long time, unless you don't care about charge times when on road
trips. (To charge an EV for, say, 300 miles of range as quickly as
you can gas up a regular car, you need a 3 MW charger.)

For home charging, it's no big deal. You don't need special wiring. A
300 mile drive requires around 100 kWh. Do that overnight and you
don't need anything you don't already have.

On the road you can often take advantage of fast charging stations.
Old February 19th 18, 06:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 17:10:05 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
For home charging, it's no big deal. You don't need special wiring.

300 mile drive requires around 100 kWh. Do that overnight and you
don't need anything you don't already have.

Are you saying everyone already has a 100 ampere fuse in their home
electrical wiring? Because that's what's required to charge 100 kWh
overnight, assuming you switch off the rest of your home. In Europe,
a 50 ampere fuse will be enough.
Old February 19th 18, 04:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:
For home charging, it's no big deal. You don't need special wiring.

300 mile drive requires around 100 kWh. Do that overnight and you
don't need anything you don't already have.

Are you saying everyone already has a 100 ampere fuse in their home
electrical wiring? Because that's what's required to charge 100 kWh
overnight, assuming you switch off the rest of your home. In Europe,
a 50 ampere fuse will be enough.

Almost every home has 220V service with 30-50A fusing. Of course, not
for every outlet, so it's true that a new outlet might need to be
installed in the garage.
Old February 19th 18, 06:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

Kujisalimisha wrote:

If you've already had the wiring done, you'll be waiting a long,
long time, unless you don't care about charge times when on road
trips. (To charge an EV for, say, 300 miles of range as quickly
as you can gas up a regular car, you need a 3 MW charger.)

For home charging, it's no big deal. You don't need special
wiring. A 300 mile drive requires around 100 kWh. Do that
overnight and you don't need anything you don't already have.

For people who only *ever* drive locally, sure. For people who
occasionally want to take a road trip to more than 300 miles away, it
becomes untenable.

On the road you can often take advantage of fast charging
stations.

The fastest charging station out there today is 50 kw. Porche has
proposed 350 kw (at $250,000 each), which will still take several
times as long to "fuel up". And they will require special power
circuits into the charging stations, even for a single charger. To
meet the "3 minutes for 300 miles" standard for gasoline requires, as
I said, about 3 MW per charger.

We've gone over this before, and you knwo I'm right, and you know
you're full of ****.

Old February 19th 18, 06:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 08:07:00 -0700, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Almost every home has 220V service with 30-50A fusing. Of
course, not for every outlet, so it's true that a new outlet
might need to be installed in the garage.

Yep. Electrons don't care what work you ask them to do. The
circuit might be labeled "EV charger", but the electrons will be
just as happy to power a welder, or whatever else you ask of
them.

In any case, the choices to own an EV, to provision a charging
home station, etc., are entirely voluntary.

For now. A number of jurisdictions are planning on changing that,
whether the technology is ready or not, like California. (Soemthing
like 25% of Americans rent. How many landlords are going to drop $50k
per apartment to install charging stations, without jacking up the
rent beyond what's possible for most tenants to pay? And what about
people who have *no* off-street parking?)

Charge times (and charging at all) are an obstacle with no practical
solution, even theoretically.

Old February 19th 18, 06:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 08:07:00 -0700, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Almost every home has 220V service with 30-50A fusing. Of course, not
for every outlet, so it's true that a new outlet might need to be
installed in the garage.

Yep. Electrons don't care what work you ask them to do. The circuit
might be labeled "EV charger", but the electrons will be just as happy
to power a welder, or whatever else you ask of them.

In any case, the choices to own an EV, to provision a charging home
station, etc., are entirely voluntary. If doing these things doesn't
make sense to someone, if they lack the means to overcome shortcomings,
or they just don't have the desire to bother with any of it - then they
should not go down this path.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old February 19th 18, 07:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:33:07 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

Charge times (and charging at all) are an obstacle with no
practical solution, even theoretically.

You've said some silly things over time, but this may be the
silliest.

Feel free to describe how over 600,000 businesses that currently sell
gasoline can replace their pumps with 3 MW charging stations in our
lifetime.

And how peop,le who rent, with no off-street parking, can get access
to a charger at all, every evening.

You're really good at neamcalling, but you will _never_ address the
actual issue.

And we both know it.