Astronomy and Terraced housing?

Old October 22nd 11, 01:02 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Nails

Default Astronomy and Terraced housing?

I live in a terraced house close to a main city centre. I`m wondering how
practical it is to pursue astronomy as a hobby considering the amount of
artificial street light ( and house lights) there tends to be?

Nails
Old October 22nd 11, 06:24 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Norbert[_4_]

Nails wrote:
I live in a terraced house close to a main city centre. I`m
wondering how practical it is to pursue astronomy as a hobby
considering the amount of artificial street light ( and house
lights) there tends to be?

For the Moon and the planets, there is no problem at all, even in the center
of a town. Except if you are just under the street lights, of course.
You can always get interested in multiple stars, there is no problem, too.
Of course, if you prefer galaxies and faint nebulae, this situation will be
a serious disavantage

All the pictures of the Moon and the planets that I present on my web pages
have been taken in center town

--
Norbert.
======================================

Old October 24th 11, 08:09 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 22/10/2011 18:24, Norbert wrote:
Nails wrote:
I live in a terraced house close to a main city centre. I`m
wondering how practical it is to pursue astronomy as a hobby
considering the amount of artificial street light ( and house
lights) there tends to be?

For the Moon and the planets, there is no problem at all, even in the center
of a town. Except if you are just under the street lights, of course.
You can always get interested in multiple stars, there is no problem, too.
Of course, if you prefer galaxies and faint nebulae, this situation will be
a serious disavantage

All the pictures of the Moon and the planets that I present on my web pages
have been taken in center town

Also worth pointing out here that most major city centres have an
astronomical society and their members may have an observatory or
organise trips to dark sky sites to observe. Most are short of keen
observers too so if you go along and show interest you will be warmly
welcomed. Filters can sometimes help on emission nebulae in moderate
light pollution, but nothing beats a truly dark sky.

The clearest skies are just after a cold front rainstorm has passed over
in the gaps between the remaining clouds. I have seen the milky way from
a park in central Manchester under those conditions.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 19th 11, 09:25 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Nails

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:24:20 +0200, Norbert wrote:

Much appreciate the reply

Nails
Old December 19th 11, 09:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Nails

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 02:25:11 -0600, Nails wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:24:20 +0200, Norbert wrote:

Much appreciate the reply

Nails

Could you make that " replies "

Nails