Launch gun.

Old October 3rd 06, 05:19 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_3_]

Default Launch gun.

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180

--
Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics

http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old October 3rd 06, 09:36 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Alfred Able

"Sorcerer" wrote in message
. uk...
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180

--
Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics
school for zauberlehrlings.
"One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"

http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

It would burn up leaving the atmosphere, dummy.

Old October 3rd 06, 10:02 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_3_]

reenews.net...

Hey ****head!
Shoot the messenger why don't you, you ****ing ignoramus!

Old October 3rd 06, 10:18 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Alfred Able

"Sorcerer" wrote in message
k...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

| "Sorcerer" wrote in message
| . uk...
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|
| --
| Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
| Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics
| school for zauberlehrlings.
| "One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"
|
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
|

| It would burn up leaving the atmosphere, dummy.

Hey ****head!
Shoot the messenger why don't you, you ****ing ignoramus!

Payback time, pudding brain.

Old October 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Dirk Van de moortel

"Sorcerer" wrote in message k...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

| "Sorcerer" wrote in message
| . uk...
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|
| --
| Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
| Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics
| school for zauberlehrlings.
| "One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"
|
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
|

| It would burn up leaving the atmosphere, dummy.

Hey ****head!
Shoot the messenger why don't you, you ****ing ignoramus!

Payback time, pudding brain.

:-)
It seems that you nor the messenger has even read the article.
| The satellite, encased in an aerodynamic, cone-shaped shell
| that would protect it from the intense heat of launch, would
| be attached to a sled designed to respond to the forces from
| the superconducting magnets.
| Such a launch ring is technologically possible, but getting
| the projectile safely through the atmosphere would be
| challenging, says Epstein.
| Among other things, it would be difficult to keep it from
| overheating and to make sure it follows the desired
| trajectory when subjected to winds and friction from the
| atmosphere, he says: "None of these challenges are trivial
| at all."
| Team member Michael Ricci, also at LaunchPoint, thinks these
| difficulties can be overcome. "They're certainly not issues
| that can just be discounted, but we believe both of those
| are solvable," he told New Scientist, citing previous
| research on nuclear warheads, which are designed to move
| through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.

Dirk Vdm

Old October 4th 06, 02:09 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Alfred Able

"Dirk Van de moortel" wrote
in message ...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Sorcerer" wrote in message
k...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

| "Sorcerer" wrote in message
| . uk...
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|
| --
| Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
| Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics
| school for zauberlehrlings.
| "One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"
|
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
|

| It would burn up leaving the atmosphere, dummy.

Hey ****head!
Shoot the messenger why don't you, you ****ing ignoramus!

Payback time, pudding brain.

:-)
It seems that you nor the messenger has even read the article.
| The satellite, encased in an aerodynamic, cone-shaped shell
| that would protect it from the intense heat of launch, would
| be attached to a sled designed to respond to the forces from
| the superconducting magnets.
| Such a launch ring is technologically possible, but getting
| the projectile safely through the atmosphere would be
| challenging, says Epstein.
| Among other things, it would be difficult to keep it from
| overheating and to make sure it follows the desired
| trajectory when subjected to winds and friction from the
| atmosphere, he says: "None of these challenges are trivial
| at all."
| Team member Michael Ricci, also at LaunchPoint, thinks these
| difficulties can be overcome. "They're certainly not issues
| that can just be discounted, but we believe both of those
| are solvable," he told New Scientist, citing previous
| research on nuclear warheads, which are designed to move
| through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.

Dirk Vdm

It is all total crap, totally discountable.
smoke an mirrors.
what happens to velocity when you change it by 30 degree ramp?
calculate the energy needed by a "circular" launch of mass M,
easy for protons, not for 200 kg.
What happens to the nose of a nuke when it re enters ? add another 50 kg on
so it can burn off.

Old October 4th 06, 04:26 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)[_1_]

Dear Alfred Able:

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Dirk Van de moortel"
wrote in message

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Sorcerer" wrote in message
k...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

| "Sorcerer" wrote in
message
| . uk...
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|
| --
| Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
| Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster,
hogwarts.physics
| school for zauberlehrlings.
| "One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"
|
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
|

| It would burn up leaving the atmosphere, dummy.

Hey ****head!
Shoot the messenger why don't you, you ****ing ignoramus!

Payback time, pudding brain.

:-)
It seems that you nor the messenger has even read the article.
| The satellite, encased in an aerodynamic, cone-shaped
| shell that would protect it from the intense heat of
launch,
| would be attached to a sled designed to respond to the
| forces from the superconducting magnets.
| Such a launch ring is technologically possible, but
| getting the projectile safely through the atmosphere
| would be challenging, says Epstein.
| Among other things, it would be difficult to keep it from
| overheating and to make sure it follows the desired
| trajectory when subjected to winds and friction from the
| atmosphere, he says: "None of these challenges are
| trivial at all."
| Team member Michael Ricci, also at LaunchPoint,
| thinks these difficulties can be overcome. "They're
| certainly not issues that can just be discounted, but
| we believe both of those are solvable," he told New
| Scientist, citing previous research on nuclear
| warheads, which are designed to move through the
| atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.

Dirk Vdm

It is all total crap, totally discountable.
smoke an mirrors.
what happens to velocity when you change it by 30 degree
ramp?
calculate the energy needed by a "circular" launch of mass M,
easy for protons, not for 200 kg.
What happens to the nose of a nuke when it re enters ? add
another 50 kg on so it can burn off.

What if you generate a "soliton" at the ramp exit? A "toroidal"
mass of air with a very high central velocity matched
to/exceeding the speed of the projectile, and outer speed closer
to sonic...

David A. Smith

Old October 4th 06, 05:28 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
John Meker

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)" N: dlzc1 D:cox wrote in
message news:7RFUg.1568$v43.377@fed1read02...
Dear Alfred Able:

wrote in message ...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Sorcerer" wrote in message
k...

"Alfred Able" wrote in message
reenews.net...

| "Sorcerer" wrote in message
| . uk...
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|
| --
| Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
| Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics
| school for zauberlehrlings.
| "One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"
|
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
|

| It would burn up leaving the atmosphere, dummy.

Hey ****head!
Shoot the messenger why don't you, you ****ing ignoramus!

Payback time, pudding brain.

:-)
It seems that you nor the messenger has even read the article.
| The satellite, encased in an aerodynamic, cone-shaped
| shell that would protect it from the intense heat of launch,
| would be attached to a sled designed to respond to the
| forces from the superconducting magnets.
| Such a launch ring is technologically possible, but
| getting the projectile safely through the atmosphere
| would be challenging, says Epstein.
| Among other things, it would be difficult to keep it from
| overheating and to make sure it follows the desired
| trajectory when subjected to winds and friction from the
| atmosphere, he says: "None of these challenges are
| trivial at all."
| Team member Michael Ricci, also at LaunchPoint,
| thinks these difficulties can be overcome. "They're
| certainly not issues that can just be discounted, but
| we believe both of those are solvable," he told New
| Scientist, citing previous research on nuclear
| warheads, which are designed to move through the
| atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.

Dirk Vdm

It is all total crap, totally discountable.
smoke an mirrors.
what happens to velocity when you change it by 30 degree
ramp?
calculate the energy needed by a "circular" launch of mass M,
easy for protons, not for 200 kg.
What happens to the nose of a nuke when it re enters ? add
another 50 kg on so it can burn off.

What if you generate a "soliton" at the ramp exit? A "toroidal" mass of
air with a very high central velocity matched to/exceeding the speed of
the projectile, and outer speed closer to sonic...

David A. Smith

Then you would not even need the ring, just let the little bugger flyup and
away into outter space.

Old October 4th 06, 06:00 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics.relativity, Sorcerer

wrote
on Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:19:42 GMT
:
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180

If electrical power costs $0.10/kWh, the general costs would be about
$9/kg (32 MJ/kg) so I'm wondering why they are quoting 80x that amount.

#191,
Useless C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
FILE * fileptr; void f(char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fileptr); }
Old October 4th 06, 01:54 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_3_]

| In sci.physics.relativity, Sorcerer
|
| wrote
| on Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:19:42 GMT
| :
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|

| If electrical power costs $0.10/kWh, the general costs would be about
| $9/kg (32 MJ/kg) so I'm wondering why they are quoting 80x that amount.

And you would like someone to suggest that if electrical power costs
$8.0/kWh the general costs would be about spot on, or do you just
want to haggle with someone over the price of electricity? Take it
up with politician.

Given the size of the LHC (9 km diameter) I'm surprised just
how small (2km) the proposal for the ring is.
It seems to me that the acceleration is not an issue if artillery
shells can contain working electronics when fired with 10 times
the acceleration proposed,

"Fiske points out that the US military uses electronics in laser-guided
artillery, which survive being fired out of guns at up to 20,000g"

and I recall reading that the German "Big Bertha" fired shells on Paris,
the 820 kg shells reaching 300 km high during WW ONE.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1174758AAid3xm
This is an exaggeration, but a far better guess than I've yet seen on
sci.physics.

As usual, the ****headed nay-sayers are guessing, the launch gun
is viable.
Androcles.