Galileo's Telescope

Old September 7th 06, 05:21 PM posted to sci.astro
John Schutkeker

Default Galileo's Telescope

Does anybody know what were the design specs of Galileo's original
telescope, and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?
Old September 7th 06, 09:16 PM posted to sci.astro
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article 2,
John Schutkeker wrote:

Does anybody know what were the design specs of Galileo's original
telescope,

Probably the sketches of Lippershey's telescope - Lippershey was a
Dutch who constructed the very first telescope. Galileo improved the
telescope though, and created scopes which magnified up to some 20
times.

and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

Hans Lippershey

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/optics/t...ippershey.html

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old September 8th 06, 01:18 AM posted to sci.astro
Mark Gingrich

Paul Schlyter wrote:

and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

Hans Lippershey

I noticed that Fred Watson, in his 2004 book _Stargazer: The Life and
Times of the Telescope_, deliberately spells the name Lipperhey. I
can deal with a name having an alternate spelling, but I'd expect
Lippershey to be pronounced differently than Lipperhey. Or is this
a case where the "s" is silent in Dutch?

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California
Old September 8th 06, 01:46 AM posted to sci.astro
William Hamblen

On 2006-09-07, John Schutkeker wrote:

Does anybody know what were the design specs of Galileo's original
telescope, and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

See http://cnx.org/content/m11932/latest/

Galileo built his own telescopes, or had them built. Hans
Lippershey was given a patent on the telescope by the Dutch
government in the early 1600s, but didn't provide one to
Galileo.

The History of the Telescope by H. C. King, listed in the
bibliography, has been reprinted by Dover Books and is available
from book sellers.

Bud
Old September 8th 06, 03:52 AM posted to sci.astro
Sjouke Burry

Mark Gingrich wrote:
Paul Schlyter wrote:

and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

Hans Lippershey

I noticed that Fred Watson, in his 2004 book _Stargazer: The Life and
Times of the Telescope_, deliberately spells the name Lipperhey. I
can deal with a name having an alternate spelling, but I'd expect
Lippershey to be pronounced differently than Lipperhey. Or is this
a case where the "s" is silent in Dutch?

Being Dutch, I have heard neither name around
here , and they sound german/english.
Old September 8th 06, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article ,
Sjouke Burry wrote:

Mark Gingrich wrote:
Paul Schlyter wrote:

and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

Hans Lippershey

I noticed that Fred Watson, in his 2004 book _Stargazer: The Life and
Times of the Telescope_, deliberately spells the name Lipperhey. I
can deal with a name having an alternate spelling, but I'd expect
Lippershey to be pronounced differently than Lipperhey. Or is this
a case where the "s" is silent in Dutch?

Being Dutch, I have heard neither name around here, and they sound
german/english.

Check out:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Lippershey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Lippershey

Old September 8th 06, 11:46 AM posted to sci.astro
John Schutkeker

William Hamblen wrote in
:

Galileo built his own telescopes, or had them built.
Lippershey ... didn't provide one to Galileo.

What were the diameters and radii of curvatures of the lenses?
Old September 8th 06, 09:02 PM posted to sci.astro
William Hamblen

On 2006-09-08, John Schutkeker wrote:
William Hamblen wrote in
:

Galileo built his own telescopes, or had them built.
Lippershey ... didn't provide one to Galileo.

What were the diameters and radii of curvatures of the lenses?

There is a description on the World Wide Web of one of Galileo's
telescopes in the Science Museum at FLorence, Italy.

http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/museum/esim.asp?c=405002

Bud
Old September 9th 06, 12:05 PM posted to sci.astro
Joachim Verhagen

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 00:18:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Gingrich
wrote:

Paul Schlyter wrote:

and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

Hans Lippershey

I noticed that Fred Watson, in his 2004 book _Stargazer: The Life and
Times of the Telescope_, deliberately spells the name Lipperhey. I
can deal with a name having an alternate spelling, but I'd expect
Lippershey to be pronounced differently than Lipperhey. Or is this
a case where the "s" is silent in Dutch?

The Winkler Prins, a Dutch encyclopedia, says Johannes Lipperhei or
Lippershey, also Joannes Laprei. The i to y change is common, but I never
noted a silent s in Dutch. My guess is that Johannes was still experimenting
with a family name.

Joachim.

--
Joachim Verhagen
WWW http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/ (Science Jokes)
Old September 9th 06, 02:46 PM posted to sci.astro
William Hamblen

wrote:

Paul Schlyter wrote:

and what was the name of the lens maker in Flanders from whom he
obtained it?

Hans Lippershey

I noticed that Fred Watson, in his 2004 book _Stargazer: The Life and
Times of the Telescope_, deliberately spells the name Lipperhey. I
can deal with a name having an alternate spelling, but I'd expect
Lippershey to be pronounced differently than Lipperhey. Or is this
a case where the "s" is silent in Dutch?

The Winkler Prins, a Dutch encyclopedia, says Johannes Lipperhei or
Lippershey, also Joannes Laprei. The i to y change is common, but I never
noted a silent s in Dutch. My guess is that Johannes was still experimenting
with a family name.

I suppose one could consult the archives for the patent
application. It is reproduced at

http://cnx.org/content/m11940/latest/

but it is hard to make out. Lipperhey was German by birth.

Bud