Music and astronomy

Old August 20th 06, 08:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

Default Music and astronomy

While respecting the boundaries between different disciplines and
pursuits that delight the senses and provide enormous intuitive
satisfaction,the following commentary of Tolstoy on music has its
parallels in astronomy.The title of his work was from that force of God
known as Ludwig Van Beethoven,an individual whoes work had that impact
on Tolstoy that removes the veil on creativity and challenges the
listener to creative something just as beautiful.

There are no slow days for an astronomer for the optics facet is mere
consumerism based on stell and glass.Astronomy proper is a violent amd
majestic endeavor for men willing to leave the safe shore and into the
vast arena of human creativity -

The Kreutzer Sonata

"A terrible thing is that sonata, especially the presto! And a terrible
thing is music in general. What is it? Why does it do what it does?
They say that music stirs the soul. Stupidity! A lie! It acts, it acts
frightfully (I speak for myself), but not in an ennobling way. It acts
neither in an ennobling nor a debasing way, but in an irritating way.
How shall I say it? Music makes me forget my real situation. It
transports me into a state which is not my own. Under the influence of
music I really seem to feel what I do not feel, to understand what I do
not understand, to have powers which I cannot have. Music seems to me
to act like yawning or laughter; I have no desire to sleep, but I yawn
when I see others yawn; with no reason to laugh, I laugh when I hear
others laugh. And music transports me immediately into the condition of
soul in which he who wrote the music found himself at that time. I
become confounded with his soul, and with him I pass from one condition
to another. But why that? I know nothing about it? But he who wrote
Beethoven's 'Kreutzer Sonata' knew well why he found himself in a
certain condition. That condition led him to certain actions, and for
that reason to him had a meaning, but to me none, none whatever. And
that is why music provokes an excitement which it does not bring to a
conclusion. For instance, a military march is played; the soldier
passes to the sound of this march, and the music is finished. A dance
is played; I have finished dancing, and the music is finished. A mass
is sung; I receive the sacrament, and again the music is finished. But
any other music provokes an excitement, and this excitement is not
accompanied by the thing that needs properly to be done, and that is
why music is so dangerous, and sometimes acts so frightfully.

"In China music is under the control of the State, and that is the way
it ought to be. Is it admissible that the first comer should hypnotize
one or more persons, and then do with them as he likes? And especially
that the hypnotizer should be the first immoral individual who happens
to come along? It is a frightful power in the hands of any one, no
matter whom. For instance, should they be allowed to play this
'Kreutzer Sonata,' the first presto,-and there are many like it,-in
parlors, among ladies wearing low necked dresses, or in concerts, then
finish the piece, receive the applause, and then begin another piece?
These things should be played under certain circumstances, only in
cases where it is necessary to incite certain actions corresponding to
the music. But to incite an energy of feeling which corresponds to
neither the time nor the place, and is expended in nothing, cannot fail
to act dangerously. On me in particular this piece acted in a frightful
manner. One would have said that new sentiments, new virtualities, of
which I was formerly ignorant, had developed in me. 'Ah, yes, that's
it! Not at all as I lived and thought before! This is the right way to
live!'

"Thus I spoke to my soul as I listened to that music. What was this new
thing that I thus learned? That I did not realize, but the
consciousness of this indefinite state filled me with joy. In that
state there was no room for jealousy. The same faces, and among them HE
and my wife, I saw in a different light. This music transported me into
an unknown world, where there was no room for jealousy. Jealousy and
the feelings that provoke it seemed to me trivialities, nor worth
thinking of. " TOLSTOY

Old August 21st 06, 07:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Eugene Griessel

"Mij Adyaw" wrote:

Very good post from Oriel. Makes about as much sense as an average parakeet.

The parakeets with which you are acquainted must be very stupid birds
if you can insult them by comparing them with Oriel's diarrhoeic
diatribes.

Eugene L Griessel

Verbing weirds language.
Old August 21st 06, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Mij Adyaw wrote:
Very good post from Oriel. Makes about as much sense as an average parakeet.

Why insult parakeets?! :-)

Old August 21st 06, 06:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

Eugene Griessel wrote:
"Mij Adyaw" wrote:

Very good post from Oriel. Makes about as much sense as an average parakeet.

The parakeets with which you are acquainted must be very stupid birds
if you can insult them by comparing them with Oriel's diarrhoeic
diatribes.

Eugene L Griessel

Verbing weirds language.

I may as well promote the intuitive faculties which all people have
insofar as technically only you and I give the correct value for axial
rotation at 15 degrees per hour -

"Longitudinal distances are related to time and every 15° is the
distance the earth rotates in one hour. The distance of a degree of
longitude varies with the place on earth it is measured. "

http://www.dynagen.co.za/eugene/where/index.html

That will not get you invited to the star parties of celestial sphere
astrophotgraphers anytime soon but then again the lot of a traitor and
a coward was always the oblivion of mediocrity.

It is no accident that Kepler titled his work 'Harmonies Of The World'
for like music,the great cyclical movements generate the same
satisfaction as an experience as music does,one to the ear the other to
the intuitive eye hence the excerpt from Tolstoy.It is only your
dullness born of indoctrination that prevents you from hating the great
intutive faculties which affirm so many things with the greatest of
ease,like Tolstoy and Kepler another great lover of that faculty was
Oscar Wilde who had something to say for your kind -

"Like all poetical natures he loved ignorant people. He knew that in
the soul of one who is ignorant there is always room for a great idea.
But he could not stand stupid people, especially those who are made
stupid by education: people who are full of opinions not one of which
they even understand, a peculiarly modern type, summed up by Christ
when he describes it as the type of one who has the key of knowledge,
cannot use it himself, and does not allow other people to use it,
though it may be made to open the gate of God's Kingdom.."

http://www.upword.com/wilde/de_profundis.html

What is it that makes you so narrow in all things and I say this not as
a means to promote astronomy but rather the common faculty which links
humanity's greatest achievements in matters of faith,in music,in
astronomy and being just creative and genuine people.

Old August 21st 06, 07:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mij Adyaw[_1_]

I believe that Oriel is a prophet, scholar, professional astronomer, and
bird-brain all rolled into one! One thing that is for certain is that he
makes a lot more since lately than Danny Joe Min.

Keep the good posts coming Mr. Oriel. Between Mr Oriel, Danny Joe Min, Rich,
and all of the Trolls this place is good for more laughs than the Comedy
Club and there is a lot of good observing and equipment information here
too. What more could we possibly want? SAA is the one-stop information and
entertainment center. :-)

"oriel36" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 21st 06, 07:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

The calendrically driven celestial sphere Ra/Dec system is entirely
astrological as is its 'predictive power' so beloved of theorists.I
certainly make the distinction between astrophotography as opposed to
those who justify the convenience of the celestial sphere system
through the axial and orbital motions of the Earth.

The astrologers on one sider with the zodiacal sidereal system and I
represent the astronomers who recognise axial rotation as an
independent motion for the 24 hour clock system based on axial rotation
at 15 degrees per hour and orbital motion in isolation for heliocentric
reasoning.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...2000_tezel.gif

It only takes a few minutes,at the most,to affirm what those motions
represent from an orbitally moving Earth yet it is remarkable that not
one single person has affirmed that planetary orbital motion is seen
directly from Earth preffering the false Newtonian view.How you manage
to deny ,with modern time lapse footage and the original texts of the
astronomers,the heliocentric reasoning for a putrid Newtonian mutation
is as much a challenge for me as dealing with the Newtonian maneuvering
itself.

Mij Adyaw wrote:
I believe that Oriel is a prophet, scholar, professional astronomer, and
bird-brain all rolled into one! One thing that is for certain is that he
makes a lot more since lately than Danny Joe Min.

Keep the good posts coming Mr. Oriel. Between Mr Oriel, Danny Joe Min, Rich,
and all of the Trolls this place is good for more laughs than the Comedy
Club and there is a lot of good observing and equipment information here
too. What more could we possibly want? SAA is the one-stop information and
entertainment center. :-)

"oriel36" wrote in message
ups.com...