"Why I won't invest in rockets for space tourism ... yet"

Old July 30th 03, 12:06 AM
RAILROAD SPIKE

Default "Why I won't invest in rockets for space tourism ... yet"

Them rockets held together better than the Astronaughts
wrote in message
news:am9obmNvbGQ=.02f871c2b639c69909d8174d61a0abe6 @1059519519.cotse.net...
Why invest in something thats gonna end up right back on the ground in
its own crater?

rk wrote:

"Why I won't invest in rockets for space tourism ... yet"

This is the title of a piece by Denis Tito in this week's AW&ST.

Here's
a key excerpt, often a topic for discussion around here.

You see, I am willing to risk my money on a technical concept and
a team of engineers. I am willing to risk my money on the customers
actually showing up. And I am willing to risk my money competing
against other companies in the marketplace. But I am not willing
to risk my money on a regulatory question mark, on waiting for the
government to decide who can give me permission to get into
business, and what the regulatory standards for my business will

be.

Did he hire Rand as a consultant? ;-)

He also talks about post-Columbia interest in spaceflight and states
that "large percentages" still tell pollsters they would fly on the
Shuttle.

Altogether an interesting piece.

--
rk, Citizen, Noooo Yawk
"Sometimes when you connect the dots you get a picture. Other times

you
just have a bunch of dots."
-- rk, January 23, 2003