Arecibo Observatory in path of new Storm "Jeanne"

Old September 15th 04, 03:26 PM
Erich Habich

Default Arecibo Observatory in path of new Storm "Jeanne"

This years hurricane season is especially violent.
Whilst Hurricane Ivan is still on his way to wreak havoc,
another storm is brewing off the coast of Puerto Rico.

Present projections place Arecibo Observatory within the path of TS Jeanne,
which already has windspeeds of 63 mph.

I do not know what windspeeds the Arecibo
dish can withstand without sustaining damage.

Does someone know? I would button down the hatches, in any case.

See http://satellite.ehabich.info/na.htm
or http://satellite.ehabich.info/nacrescent.htm

--
Eric
1581 WU,

"Our Planet Earth From Space"
http://satellite.ehabich.info

Old September 15th 04, 06:23 PM
Joseph Lazio

"EH" == Erich Habich writes:

EH Present projections place Arecibo Observatory within the path of
EH TS Jeanne, which already has windspeeds of 63 mph.

EH I do not know what windspeeds the Arecibo dish can withstand
EH without sustaining damage.

EH Does someone know? I would button down the hatches, in any case.

While it is dangerous to be complacent, Arecibo has survived past
hurricances. In 1998 it survived Hurricane Georges,
URL:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/09/980924074825.htm.
I have a recollection that it survived a hurricane in the late
1980s-early 1990s as well, but I can't remember which one it was
(Hugo?).

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |
Old September 16th 04, 11:00 AM
Aidan Karley

In article , Joseph Lazio wrote:
While it is dangerous to be complacent, Arecibo has survived past
hurricances.

However, when I just tried getting onto http://www.naic.edu/ I
got timed out. Suggests that there's something broken.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/HUIR.JPG for 2004-09-16 07:45Z (2¼ hours
ago) shows Jeanne to be between Puerto Rico and Hispaniola.
BBC don't seem to have any correspondents there. I'm not sure if
the lack of news is an indication that it's been a "run of the mill"
hurricane, or if it's just being overshadowed by the coverage of Ivan
hitting that country to the north.

But just to cheer everyone up,
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/danger_atlbw.gif indicates a tropical
cyclone forming near the Cape Verde islands. That's about where Ivan
started, what was it, 10 days ago? That one bears watching.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,

Old September 16th 04, 03:00 PM
Aidan Karley

In article d, Aidan
Karley wrote:
However, when I just tried getting onto http://www.naic.edu/ I
got timed out.

Because I'm bored and nosey: WHOIS www.naic.edu -
Domain Name: NAIC.EDU
Registrant:
National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center
HC3 Box 53995
Barrio Esperanza
Arecibo PR 00612
UNITED STATES
[SNIP]
Name Servers:
NS2.NAIC.EDU
DNS.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
CUDNS.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Domain record activated: 09-Feb-1989
Domain record last updated: 20-Jun-2003
Obviously connected through Cornell ...

Tracert ... hmmm. I can get through to their secondary and tertiary DNS
servers in 18 hops, but trying to get to through to the primary or to
the main box itself times out at a router 5 hops down from me (which
obviously thinks it knows exactly where to go). I guess thats what a
broken cable looks like.