Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) Star Magnitudes

Old April 29th 04, 11:40 AM
Paul

Default Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) Star Magnitudes

Hi,

I imaged Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) last night with my LX200 8" and a
SAC-7B camera. Now I would really like to determine the magnitude of
some of the dimmer stars in the cluster. Funny thing is, it appears
Cartes Du Ciel and Starry Night Pro both cut a rectangle around any
NGC object and display no stars there. That rectangle pretty well
matches my camera field of view.

Obviously I don't expect to find a map of the millions of stars within
Omega Centauri, but does anyone know of a way to at least identify
them down to, say, Mag 13 or 14?

Thanks for any help! I've Goolgled for hours and come up empty...

Paul
Old May 1st 04, 08:05 PM
Michael Richmond

I imaged Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) last night with my LX200 8" and a
SAC-7B camera. Now I would really like to determine the magnitude of
some of the dimmer stars in the cluster. Funny thing is, it appears
Cartes Du Ciel and Starry Night Pro both cut a rectangle around any
NGC object and display no stars there. That rectangle pretty well
matches my camera field of view.

Obviously I don't expect to find a map of the millions of stars within
Omega Centauri, but does anyone know of a way to at least identify
them down to, say, Mag 13 or 14?

Go to the SIMBAD's Aladin site

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/aladin.gml

and start the Aladin applet. Click the "Load" button and type
"NGC5139" into the "Target" box. You'll be shown a list of
digitized images. Select the "SERC J(optical B) 1.7x1.7" image,
which has a wide field of view. Double-click on that item
in the list. You should see a picture of the cluster appear
on your screen. Now choose the "Surveys in Vizier" item on
the right side of the "Server Selector" window. Highlight
"USNO-B1" and click on "Submit". An overlay of markers should
appear on the image, indicating all stars in the USNO-B1.0
catalog which appear in the image. Clicking on any marker
will give you information on that star.

Aladin is a terrific tool, and it's free for everyone
to use.

Michael Richmond