New Pier for Orion Skyview Pro Mount

Old February 12th 04, 05:50 AM
Jason Martin

Default New Pier for Orion Skyview Pro Mount

Hi,

Browsing the Orion site shows that they now offer a Pier and pier
extension for their Skyview Pro mount. I have a SVP and actually like
it quite a bit, but I recently rejoined the refractor world with a 5"
Burgess / Chromacor combo, and need a bit more eyepiece height. The
Pier and extension combo seems like it would fit the bill nicely
(would put eq head height at 65") but at a combined price of $365
shipped, I would be spending close to half the price of an ATLAS/EQ6.
Has anyone had an opportunity to use a peir mounted SVP yet? If you
have, I would love to hear from you!

Best Wishes for Clear Skies!

Jason Martin
Old February 12th 04, 08:01 PM
Thad Floryan

(Jason Martin) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

Browsing the Orion site shows that they now offer a Pier and pier
extension for their Skyview Pro mount. I have a SVP and actually like
it quite a bit, but I recently rejoined the refractor world with a 5"
Burgess / Chromacor combo, and need a bit more eyepiece height. The
Pier and extension combo seems like it would fit the bill nicely
(would put eq head height at 65") but at a combined price of $365
shipped, I would be spending close to half the price of an ATLAS/EQ6.
Has anyone had an opportunity to use a peir mounted SVP yet? If you
have, I would love to hear from you!

I looked at the pier in the Orion store (Cupertino CA) and it appears really
neat. But even with the extension it seemed too low (for me; I'm 6'); perhaps
two extensions would be better for refractor use but I don't know if two
extensions can be joined.

FWIW, I have an SVP (with dual drive) and am pleased with it driving my
Apex 127 Mak. I had an Atlas mount but no longer -- too many problems.

My only comment about the pier is that it'll have to be resting on a firm
surface given the small diameter bolts/legs -- they'd sink right into the
ground here.

You might also want to measure the weight of your 5" Burgess and see if it's
within the stated capability of the SVP. SVP (and other) manuals with the
specs are available at Orion's website
www.telescope.com under, I believe,
"Support".

Old February 12th 04, 09:04 PM
Jason Martin

Thad,

The Burgess OTA with a 2" WO diagonal and Chromacor weighs in at about
16-17 pounds. The SVP that I have handles it quite well, and with the legs
retracted is pretty stable, but extending the stock tripod legs doesn't do
much in the way of adding height because they are so stubby, and extending
them does make a noteable difference in stability. My main concern is
weather or not the pier with extension would be at least as stable as the
fully retracted tripod, while giving me the height I need for comfortable
zenith viewing while seated. I am 5'6", so I think the combo would be about
right, size wise, but I live in Tennessee, so there are no Orion showrooms
to check out! It has occured to be that the pier would need a firm surface,
but I think the use of vibe-pads might suffice on softer ground(not sure,
but seems logical). What I really, REALLY would like is a half-pier to sit
between the existing tripod and EQ head... Vixen sells one for use with the
GP and GP-DX..... does anyone know if this unit is compatible with the
SVP?????

CS

Jason