Did someone shift the Earth's orbit, or what?

Old August 28th 03, 09:42 PM
Di£$£L

Default Did someone shift the Earth's orbit, or what?

Preface: This is posted to sci.astro.seti as the premise is that ET's
shifted our orbit some thousands years ago. It's directly astro, and
ET related. Not metaphysics, or religion, or anything else.

***

Is it true? A few months ago in UFO Magazine in the UK, some top
Russian expert with a pretty high-sounding title who's "boss's boss is
the president", says that the Earth's orbit was shifted several
thousand years ago by ET's, and that the period used to be 360 days,
now is 365 days.

I did a few quick searches, & there does seem to be a sudden change
from 360 to 365 days in all ancient cultures somewhere around 5-10,000
yrs ago.

Some mid-Eurasian greco-roman culture thoght the extra 5 days to be
very black, & unlucky. I forget all the details, I did my big search
months ago.

So then I tried to figure out what is the EXACT figue right now, &
we've got 365.242 days Solar Year & 365.256 days Sidereal Year.
Basically slightly different ways of calculating it.
The mean of these two is 365.249, which is about 90 seconds less than
EXACTLY 365-and-a-quarter days.

It's a bit weird that it's so exact, right? It's so precisely designed
for a 365-day-year, and one leap-year every four? I mean, if I was a
statistician, I would expect 365.169023, or something completely
meaningless.

I've been looking for something that rivals the total eclipse
coincedence for a few years, and this does it for me. And they are
completely related.

I'm personally pretty convinced that our planet has been shunted to
it's current orbit by intelligent forces at some time in the past.

Any thoughts?

Old August 28th 03, 10:15 PM
Distrust

If it had been 365.169023 then the Romans would have switched their
calendar to an extra day every 6 years...

365 + 1/4 is about 11 minutes, 14 seconds too long... which is why the
Gregorian calendar only had leap years in new centuries when they
divided by 400 (1600, 2000, 2400, etc.)

You'd think the aliens with their crazy technology to shift the
Earth's orbit, they would be able to fine-tune it a little bit more...

Not to mention, if they did shift the orbit, I doubt the aliens would
change it to fit into some exact number aligned with the day/rotation
of the planet. If they moved the Earth so some comet would miss or
some reason... why would they care at all about making the orbital
period align with the rotation, I mean, it's not necessary at all...
most likely they would move the Earth just enough so that the comet
would miss (or whatever reason they had) and not too much that the
ecosystem would be changed.

Whatever exact number is most likely based upon randomness...

Old August 29th 03, 03:00 PM
Robin Laing

Hello,

I read an article in New Scientist about fluctuations in earths
rotation throughout the past. It is proposed that deep magma
avalanches may cause the earth to start spinning faster. Just like a
figure skater pulling their arms in tighter.

I doubt that there were any other external forces involved, unless you
look at the possiblity of a comet or astroid.

We must also remember that the accuracy of any time spacial
measurements are all subject to the accuracy of the equipment used. I
doubt that they had atomic clocks to accuratly measure rotations and
such 1000 years ago.

I was reading about astronomers using the Julian calender to save time
and effort for conversions to corrections made in the past for
differences in earth rotations in aspect to calenders.

Old August 29th 03, 03:06 PM
Jim McGowan

"Di£$£L" wrote:

Preface: This is posted to sci.astro.seti as the premise is that ET's
shifted our orbit some thousands years ago. It's directly astro, and
ET related. Not metaphysics, or religion, or anything else.

***

Is it true? A few months ago in UFO Magazine in the UK, some top
Russian expert with a pretty high-sounding title who's "boss's boss is
the president", says that the Earth's orbit was shifted several
thousand years ago by ET's, and that the period used to be 360 days,
now is 365 days.

I did a few quick searches, & there does seem to be a sudden change
from 360 to 365 days in all ancient cultures somewhere around 5-10,000
yrs ago.

Of course, back then those backward people believed that some
force in the Universe -- probably Gods -- designed the Earth
so that the year would be a nice evenly divisible 360. Now
we're much more sophisiticated and don't believe such rubbish.
We realize that intelligent forces -- like Gods, except totally different
because ... well, this intelligent force isn't all powerful, and we all
know there aren't "Gods", just intelligent forces -- designed our year
to be EXACTLY 365.249 days, assuming you've ROUNDED OFF
the ESTIMATES that VARY OVER TIME, and perform an
average for no apparent reason, which I'm sure they would reveal
to us if we knew who to ask, or if we only had a copy of "The Dummies
Guide to Moving Planets". Of course, since we started
with only three digits and wound up with some number that was
close to one of any number of arbitrary constants that we
could find (would the argument be any less convincing if
the fraction were .75? .5? .314159...? 1/3? 1/8? 1/16?).
Given that we only had to perform some arbitrary function
on two numbers to get CLOSE to an arbitrary constant that
doesn't really look arbitrary to humans using a base 10
numbering system, this can't possibly be "coincidence". What
are the odds some number like this would occur? 70%?
90%? Are you willing to dismiss a 90% chance of something
occuring as just a coincidence?

Some mid-Eurasian greco-roman culture thoght the extra 5 days to be
very black, & unlucky. I forget all the details, I did my big search
months ago.

So then I tried to figure out what is the EXACT figue right now, &
we've got 365.242 days Solar Year & 365.256 days Sidereal Year.
Basically slightly different ways of calculating it.
The mean of these two is 365.249, which is about 90 seconds less than
EXACTLY 365-and-a-quarter days.

It's a bit weird that it's so exact, right? It's so precisely designed
for a 365-day-year, and one leap-year every four? I mean, if I was a
statistician, I would expect 365.169023, or something completely
meaningless.

The odds of the number being 365.169023 are exactly equal
to the odds of the number being 365.249, or even 365 even.
It's your all-to-human brain that decides that 365.249 is somehow
more meaningful than 265.169023.

What I find astounding is that if you add the sidereal year to the solar
year, and multiply by 0, and then add 8, and then square the result, and
then add 602, you get EXACTLY 666. Coincidence? No way. I'm
personally pretty convinced that this was an evil intelligence, and
I think it's only prudent for us to assume that they will return to
wipe us all out, let's say ... next Thursday. But that's just my opinion.

I've been looking for something that rivals the total eclipse
coincedence for a few years, and this does it for me. And they are
completely related.

I'm personally pretty convinced that our planet has been shunted to
it's current orbit by intelligent forces at some time in the past.

Any thoughts?

Nope, they only get in the way of my theories.

Old August 30th 03, 05:44 AM
Matt Giwer

english.pravda.ru of course

--
2003 July 21: Israel murders one Palestinian.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 2790

Old August 30th 03, 05:44 AM
Matt Giwer

english.pravda.ru of course

Old September 1st 03, 12:35 PM
sreeni

This just proves the universe is expanding ;-)

Is it true? A few months ago in UFO Magazine in the UK, some top
Russian expert with a pretty high-sounding title who's "boss's boss is
the president", says that the Earth's orbit was shifted several
thousand years ago by ET's, and that the period used to be 360 days,
now is 365 days.

Hmm forces arnt intelligent they are just forces - if there are such things
as intelligent foces then they must be gods and if they are not all powerful
they must be at least demi gods or even if not that powerful then a ghost or
a leprechaun or a gremlin ;D

hmm those ppl were backward??????? lets see now...forward ppl poison the
atmosphere on a global scale , change whole ecos systems, cause the planets
weather systems to become more volatile, and make the world a safer place by
inventing weapons that cud end itall in a day...and these are the forward
thinking ppl????