Double-A Is Back!

Old June 24th 14, 03:02 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default $1,575 ( 555 + 555 + 300 {Deposit} + 120 {fee} + 45 {fee} ).

On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:21:01 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:

I only over staid my paid time by one month in my $750 per month apartment. But my landlord claimed owed $2,600 after swallowing my deposit. I left the place in good condition. They didn't even try to sell the furniture I was unable to move out at the time, but gave it away. I contested the charge, but they wouldn't reduce it by even a penny. So I said, "**** them!" That is why I will never pay them. If they try to gouge people on the way out, someone has to take it upon himself to teach them they may then get nothing! The same company did a similar thing to me back in the 70's. They kept my deposit for frivolous reasons. We have a history.

Double-A

In that case, you did the best you could and you shouldn't have to worry that such an outstanding debt will stick with you forever.

However, if your name keeps coming up in some landlord **** list as a deadbeat owing that amount, you may have to get a public/pro-bono lawyer to take your case, and by filing a counter suit of some damages in order to clear your name.

Can you possibly use some other name/ID?

Paying in cash might get you past the issue, but you'd have to really trust that new landlord.

As long as the property isn't being trashed and your visitors are not creating undesirable issues, should allow you to stay with renting that unit. A dollar per square foot that includes water, sewer and garbage is a perfectly reasonable price, and most of your stuff should fit inside.

With minimal appliances and not too much if any HVAC, figure at least another $85/mo for the electric energy, although they too may request two months up front. Living somewhat large can easily push that average electric bill over $170/mo. A good internet bandwidth might cost an extra $64/mo unless the complex offers a cheaper option. So, plan on spending at least $800/month and more likely $850/mo for that nice habitat space.

Old June 25th 14, 12:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Monday, June 23, 2014 7:02:16 PM UTC-7, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

I could try not mentioning my last rental, but that might be a little fraudulent.

Paying in cash might get you past the issue, but you'd have to really trust that new landlord.

As long as the property isn't being trashed and your visitors are not creating undesirable issues, should allow you to stay with renting that unit.

At my last apartment I had no complaints from the neighbors. Rarely had anybody over.

A dollar per square foot that includes water, sewer and garbage is a perfectly reasonable price, and most of your stuff should fit inside.

With minimal appliances and not too much if any HVAC, figure at least another $85/mo for the electric energy, although they too may request two months up front. Living somewhat large can easily push that average electric bill over $170/mo. A good internet bandwidth might cost an extra $64/mo unless the complex offers a cheaper option. So, plan on spending at least $800/month and more likely $850/mo for that nice habitat space.

Now if they would only reply to my email.

Double-A

Old June 28th 14, 09:21 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

We have been having a lot of rainy days. Today it is still raining. Should dry out soon. But I expect the traditional rain for the 4th. That will dampen everybody's camping trips and backyard BBQ's. But will keep those fireworks safer.

Had lunch with Kim downtown on Wednesday. Thursday there was nothing to go out for and it was raining, so I stayed at the Motel. Friday was my downtown clinic appointment, plus got another bag of free food from the lunch wagon. Waiting for the bus back, I was surprised to see my old street friend from Tanasbourne, Mike, walking up the street. Seems he had been in the Kaiser hospital for two weeks, and then they had sent him to the Salvation Army shelter downtown Portland. He looked a lot better than he had looked last time I saw him a few weeks ago. I guess the hospital did him some good.. But he has to enter a lottery every night to see if the SA will give him a place to sleep. He hasn't returned to drinking yet. He is still using his walker. Now that he is sober, I don't think he needs it to stand up, but he has his stuff in it. Anyway, good to see an old friend. I gave him a couple bucks to help him out.

Double-A

Old June 29th 14, 09:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Cloudy day. Chance of more rain.

Got an email yesterday that the apartment I was hoping to get in Tigard has another applicant ahead of me being screened. If he is accepted, I am out of luck. It would have been perfect for me.

Recognized the bus driver on the way down to the library today. He used to drive the bus I used to take to the Cedar Mills Library and my locker. He is a really friendly guy. I think he has just started driving this route.

The Tigard Public Library is only open from 12 to 6 on Sunday.

Double-A

Old June 30th 14, 10:36 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Blue Monday again. Clear blue skies, at least. Sunny.

Had clinic appointment downtown, then out here to library. No need for a coat or umbrella today. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 90.

Lots of people using the computers today.

I helped out a woman downtown with a little money. She said she had just been kicked out of Blanchet House.

http://blanchethouse.org/

Double-A

Old July 1st 14, 07:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Another day of sunshine. It's going to be a scorcher, so I came to the library early. Will try to avoid the worst of the afternoon heat. My motel room has air conditioning.

Fireworks are being sold here in readiness for the 4th. But to get the really "good stuff", you need to drive north of Vancouver, Washington to Blackjack Fireworks. There they can sell most of the prohibited stuff (sky rockets, firecrackers, roman candles) to Oregon buyers on the condition they will be buying them for immediate export from the state of Washington. What a country!

So do you ever suspect that inflation today is really more that the 1.5% increase people got in their Social Security checks? There is a website called "John Williams' Shadow Government Statistics" that shows the truth about inflation. According to them, the government has changed the way it computes inflation over the years to make it look smaller. Their charts show that while the current method says inflation is only about 2%, using the pre-1990 method it is about 6%! Using the pre-1980 method it is 10%! Seeing my locker rental fee go up 10% per year for the last 7 years I have been renting it, I can certainly believe it!

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate...flation-charts

Double-A

Old July 2nd 14, 05:46 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:12:35 AM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

Truthful inflation has always been a social/political hot potato.

Most Americans are too stupid to realize what being snookered by their peers feels like.

Old July 3rd 14, 02:28 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:46:24 PM UTC-7, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

Yet more people are starting to notice the skyrocketing prices in the supermarkets!

Had my weekly lunch with Kim today. Someone took away her two shopping carts with all her worldly possessions. She doesn't think it was the police, because they don't seem to know anything about it. But a security guard has been after her to not sleep were she has been sleeping. I suspect he had something to do with it. She is now spending the nights moving between old haunts, and spending the wee hours at bus stops when the busses are not moving.

Double-A

Old July 5th 14, 10:35 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Last Tuesday when it was so hot ( in the 90's) my bus couldn't make it up the hill to where my motel is. It stalled halfway up! So I got out and walked the rest of the way up the hill. Walking up that hill in the heat hardly phased me. I am feeling strong!

I was able to buy a 5th for the 4th at a liquor store just down the street from my motel. How convenient. Wild Turkey 101!

I watched a History Channel special on the History of America on the 4th. They said towards the end that even today, whale oil runs the Hubble! Researching this now on the web, I find that that is only a rumor that has been circulating. NASA denies there is any whale oil used on any of their their spacecraft. You've got to be careful of the History Channel. They showed a scene of a young Hitler in WWI, but they were all wearing WWII style helmets!

Kim's Lost Gold

Kim told me a while back about a safe deposit box she had abandoned in Hawaii years ago. The subject came up again at our lunch last Wednesday. Seems she left gold and expensive jewelry in that box! I talked to someone at my bank, and she said that the contents of abandoned safe deposit boxes are turned over to the state. It can be reclaimed from them, but she didn't know how long it would be available. I'm going check into this further.

Hope you all had a happy Independence Day!

Double-A
Old July 6th 14, 10:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

It is a sunny Sunday!

Met a woman at the Tigard transit center with some bags. She wants to go to Medford. That is clear across the state of Oregon to the south. No local bus will take her there, and she doesn't have enough money for Greyhound. She will try to catch a ride from Portland. Don't know how she got to Tigard.

Hey, did you know that Tesla was also a poet?

"Poetry does not pay
Better try to make hay,
Mind the sophomore
And bother me no more!"
--Tesla

This poem he wrote after Edison stiffed him after promising him a lot of money for improving his dynamos. Tesla was recognized as a genius from early on. Edison flunked out of school. His teachers though he was too dense to be educated. Unlike Tesla, Edison did not make his inventions by using math and scientific methods. He used endless trial and error. He admitted to trying 6,000 materials to use as a filament in his light bulb before he found one that worked!

Double-A