Top 5 things to which pictures don't do justice

Old October 8th 03, 05:06 PM
Starstuffed

Default Top 5 things to which pictures don't do justice

5. Rod Mollise

4. Televue Nagler eyepieces

3. Messier 42

2. Star parties

And the number 1 thing to which pictures don't do justice is. . . .

Old October 9th 03, 03:45 AM
Stephen Astro

"Starstuffed" wrote in message link.net...
5. Rod Mollise

4. Televue Nagler eyepieces

3. Messier 42

2. Star parties

And the number 1 thing to which pictures don't do justice is. . . .

The view through the eyepiece.

Steve O.

Old October 9th 03, 03:49 AM
Tom Hole

"Starstuffed" wrote in message
ink.net...
5. Rod Mollise

4. Televue Nagler eyepieces

3. Messier 42

2. Star parties

And the number 1 thing to which pictures don't do justice is. . . .

Man, just too many ways to go with this one. Lessee, I was 16...

Tom

Old October 9th 03, 04:58 AM
Cousin Ricky

"Starstuffed" wrote in message link.net...
5. Rod Mollise

4. Televue Nagler eyepieces

3. Messier 42

2. Star parties

And the number 1 thing to which pictures don't do justice is. . . .

I have to agree with Coppy Littlehouse on this one:

~~~~~ Messier 11. ~~~~~

Honorable mention: a total eclipse of the Sun. I don't rate it number
one because modern photographic techniques have gotten really good at
capturing the look. However, no photo will ever reproduce the
emotional high of actually being there. A total eclipse of the Sun
isn't just something you see; it's something you experience.

Honorable mention: M52.

Clear skies!

--
------------------- Richard Callwood III --------------------
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~
Old October 9th 03, 06:50 PM
Curtis Croulet

The only total eclipse I've seen was 1991 from Baja Calif. I've never seen a
photograph that came close to matching the live view. Perhaps there's a photo
somewhere that handles the contrast range and detail all at once, but no photo
can capture the brilliant luminous quality of the Sun's corona contrasted with
the utterly black dot of the Moon. It can't be done.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old October 9th 03, 08:42 PM
Stephen Paul

"Starstuffed" wrote in message
ink.net...

4. Televue Nagler eyepieces

The Type 6's are not much wider than the 1.25" barrels they come in, and
only a little different in length than a 32-40mm Plossl. They're definitely
sweet in the size/weight/afov department.

Old October 10th 03, 12:12 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Curtis Croulet" wrote in message
The only total eclipse I've seen was 1991 from Baja Calif. I've never

seen a
photograph that came close to matching the live view. Perhaps there's a

photo
somewhere that handles the contrast range and detail all at once, but no

photo
can capture the brilliant luminous quality of the Sun's corona contrasted

with
the utterly black dot of the Moon. It can't be done.

That's exactly it. The only way film can handle that contrast range is by
rendering it with much reduced contrast. Film can't reproduce what you see.
The same problem arises when photographing M42, or even the crescent moon
with earthshine.

A brief list of things that show pseudoscience Vierlingj Astronomy Misc 1 May 14th 04 08:38 PM
Apocalypse NOW! Abhi Astronomy Misc 142 February 12th 04 01:05 PM
Apollo pictures taken from the TV screen Doug... History 0 August 26th 03 08:30 AM
Pictures of Mars (digital camera) Phil Wheeler Amateur Astronomy 3 August 15th 03 05:10 AM