how to calculate the time of solar terms

Old August 29th 07, 10:00 AM posted to sci.astro
Deephay

Default how to calculate the time of solar terms

Greetings all,

I actually have a computer-related job and not familiar with astronomy
at all and all my related knowledges are high-school level, I want to
write a program to calculate the exact time of solar terms (which have
actually special ecliptic longitude) if you provide a specific
Gregorian year.

I found a site[1] have this function but it is not so accurate
(absolute_value(correct - calcuated) can be as large as 10 hours or
more even the range is within 20 years). I want to find an algorithm
to calcultate the exact time (hopefully the delta should be in [10,
20] minutes). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Deephay

[1] http://www.nrel.gov/midc/solpos/solpos.html

Old August 29th 07, 12:30 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill[_5_]

"Deephay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all,

I actually have a computer-related job and not familiar with astronomy
at all and all my related knowledges are high-school level, I want to
write a program to calculate the exact time of solar terms (which have
actually special ecliptic longitude) if you provide a specific
Gregorian year.

I found a site[1] have this function but it is not so accurate
(absolute_value(correct - calcuated) can be as large as 10 hours or
more even the range is within 20 years). I want to find an algorithm
to calcultate the exact time (hopefully the delta should be in [10,
20] minutes). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Deephay

[1] http://www.nrel.gov/midc/solpos/solpos.html

Have you looked at the JPL HORIZONS web site?

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons

Old August 29th 07, 12:51 PM posted to sci.astro
Deephay

On Aug 29, 7:30 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:
"Deephay" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,
Thanks for the info, HORIZONS looks nice, but I want an offline
method.

Old August 29th 07, 01:06 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill[_5_]

"Deephay" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 29, 7:30 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:

Have you looked at the JPL HORIZONS web site?

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons

Hi,
Thanks for the info, HORIZONS looks nice, but I want an offline
method.

What specifically are you wanting to calculate?
Depending upon what it is, it might require only
a short self-contained program or a solution
using terms of a pre-computed series (VSOP87
Theory).

Old August 29th 07, 01:55 PM posted to sci.astro
Deephay

On Aug 29, 8:06 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:
"Deephay" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 29, 7:30 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:

Have you looked at the JPL HORIZONS web site?

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons

Hi,
Thanks for the info, HORIZONS looks nice, but I want an offline
method.

What specifically are you wanting to calculate?
Depending upon what it is, it might require only
a short self-contained program or a solution
using terms of a pre-computed series (VSOP87
Theory).

I just want to calculate the ecliptic longitude (0 degree for Vernal
equinox) for a specific year
if you provide the longtitude & latitude of your location and the
result should be acurate for
a large range (1000 BC - 5000 AC, say). Thanks.

Old August 29th 07, 04:10 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill[_5_]

"Deephay" wrote in message
ups.com...

I just want to calculate the ecliptic longitude (0 degree for Vernal
equinox) for a specific year
if you provide the longtitude & latitude of your location and the
result should be acurate for
a large range (1000 BC - 5000 AC, say). Thanks.

I'm still not clear on what it is you want
to calculate. Is it the date and time of
the vernal equinox for a given year that you
want? The longitude of the Sun throughout
the year? Something else?

Old August 29th 07, 06:13 PM posted to sci.astro
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article . com,
Deephay wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:06 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:

What specifically are you wanting to calculate?
Depending upon what it is, it might require only
a short self-contained program or a solution
using terms of a pre-computed series (VSOP87
Theory).

I just want to calculate the ecliptic longitude (0 degree for Vernal
equinox) for a specific year

During any year, the Sun's ecliptic longitude varies between 0 and 360
degrees.... :-) .... it's 0 degrees at the March equinox, 90 degrees
at the June solstice, 180 degrees at the September equinox, and 270
degrees at the December solstice.

if you provide the longtitude & latitude of your location

The observer's longitude and latitude is not needed for the
computation of the Sun's ecliptic longitude.

Your requests are a bit vague and ambiguous - perhaps you need to
think over a bit what you really need, and why ?????

and the result should be acurate for
a large range (1000 BC - 5000 AC, say). Thanks.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old August 31st 07, 04:32 AM posted to sci.astro
Deephay

On Aug 29, 11:10 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:
"Deephay" wrote in message

ups.com...

I just want to calculate the ecliptic longitude (0 degree for Vernal
equinox) for a specific year
if you provide the longtitude & latitude of your location and the
result should be acurate for
a large range (1000 BC - 5000 AC, say). Thanks.

I'm still not clear on what it is you want
to calculate. Is it the date and time of
the vernal equinox for a given year that you
want? The longitude of the Sun throughout
the year? Something else?

yes, that is what I mean. Thanks

Old August 31st 07, 04:43 AM posted to sci.astro
Deephay

On Aug 30, 1:13 am, (Paul Schlyter) wrote:
In article . com,

Deephay wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:06 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:

What specifically are you wanting to calculate?
Depending upon what it is, it might require only
a short self-contained program or a solution
using terms of a pre-computed series (VSOP87
Theory).

I just want to calculate the ecliptic longitude (0 degree for Vernal
equinox) for a specific year

During any year, the Sun's ecliptic longitude varies between 0 and 360
degrees.... :-) .... it's 0 degrees at the March equinox, 90 degrees
at the June solstice, 180 degrees at the September equinox, and 270
degrees at the December solstice.

if you provide the longtitude & latitude of your location

The observer's longitude and latitude is not needed for the
computation of the Sun's ecliptic longitude.

sorry I made a mistake.

Your requests are a bit vague and ambiguous - perhaps you need to
think over a bit what you really need, and why ?????

I just want to calculate the exact time when Sun's ecliptic longitude
equals to (0, 15, 30 ... 330, 345) degree for one year.
Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Deephay

Old August 31st 07, 01:39 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill[_5_]

"Deephay" wrote in message
ups.com...

I just want to calculate the exact time when Sun's ecliptic longitude
equals to (0, 15, 30 ... 330, 345) degree for one year.
Thanks a lot.

You might want to find a copy of Jean Meeus' Astronomical
Algorithms. In it you'll find methods for calculating
the ecliptic longitude of the Sun for a given date and time
(expressed in Julian Day format).

If you take such a method and wrap a search loop around
it, you can zero in on the time for any given longitude.

Calculate Local Time Meridian B M Amateur Astronomy 1 May 9th 06 06:24 PM
Real time solar images -JATO Misc 0 July 4th 05 06:20 PM
Once Upon a Time= Solar System G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 2 May 28th 05 04:10 PM
24 Solar Terms [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 November 5th 04 03:43 AM
Calculate right ascension based on time and location? Bruce W...1 Misc 1 September 8th 03 09:53 PM