TV85 vs. Orion 80ED

Old January 29th 05, 05:23 PM
Szaki

Default TV85 vs. Orion 80ED

There is a huge price difference, TV has a better fit, aparture wise about
the same, but which scope performs better?
Julius

Old January 29th 05, 05:44 PM
Tim Killian

I own the TV85, and optically it's a good visual scope with solid
construction. The draw tube however is not as sturdy or well designed as
it could be for photography. The lock has a tough time holding heavier
cameras when the scope is moving. TV also sells a focal reducer for the
TV85 that will allow wide-field photography at f/6 (the limit for this
scope given the 2" focuser).

Old January 30th 05, 01:28 AM
RichA

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:23:59 -0800, "Szaki"
wrote:

There is a huge price difference, TV has a better fit, aparture wise about
the same, but which scope performs better?
Julius

Some have said the new 80mm does, some the TV. The aperture is so
small, they both use good glass so the differences are minor. If the
scopes were 5", I'd worry about that. TeleVue's focuser is far
better, smoother and better built. The TV requires a much better
mount owing to it's weight. IMO, the cost of performance of the TV
does not justify the extra cost. If you buy the Orion (or be smart
and get it from Skywatcher and save $100) and then attach a
Feathertouch focuser, you have the BEST value right there.
-Rich
Old January 30th 05, 03:36 AM

wrote:

There is a huge price difference, TV has a better fit, aparture wise

about
the same, but which scope performs better?
Julius

Some have said the new 80mm does, some the TV.

Rich,

I have never seen anyone say that the Orion out-performs the TV85
except you. For those interested, you might read Tom Trusock's very in
depth review on CloudyNights.

Clyde

Old January 30th 05, 06:00 AM
Lucy

The word is "aperture",. not 'aparture.

And there certainly was Holocaust in spite of your claims on the internet
that there was not!

l'chaim.

Old January 30th 05, 06:25 AM
Szaki

news
wrote:

There is a huge price difference, TV has a better fit, aparture wise about
the same, but which scope performs better?
Julius

Some have said the new 80mm does, some the TV. The aperture is so
small, they both use good glass so the differences are minor. If the
scopes were 5", I'd worry about that. TeleVue's focuser is far
better, smoother and better built. The TV requires a much better
mount owing to it's weight. IMO, the cost of performance of the TV
does not justify the extra cost. If you buy the Orion (or be smart
and get it from Skywatcher and save $100) and then attach a
Feathertouch focuser, you have the BEST value right there.
-Rich

That's what I had on I'm mined. Paying 4x the price for a better focuser,
$500 Orion 80ED vs. $2000 TV85ED.
TV 85 shows nicer in the living room.
Julius

Old January 30th 05, 06:27 AM
Szaki

"Lucy" wrote in message
The word is "aperture",. not 'aparture.

And there certainly was Holocaust in spite of your claims on the internet
that there was not!

l'chaim.

*Take your politics some where else, retard.
JS

Old January 30th 05, 12:17 PM
Ed T

wrote in message

I have never seen anyone say that the Orion out-performs the TV85
except you. For those interested, you might read Tom Trusock's very in
depth review on CloudyNights.

Clyde

The problem with the TV85, as I see it, is excessive owner satisfaction.
The only way to meet this head on is to replace them all with Orion EDs.
Once the edification inherent in this self denial has been fully realized,
one can move on to more advanced ascetism.

Ed T.

Old January 30th 05, 06:18 PM
Too_Many_Tools

Skywatcher WHO?

Please provde a link.

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/ProductsST.html
All I see on this site are non-ED scopes.

Thanks

Old January 30th 05, 07:20 PM
Steve Maddison

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Skywatcher WHO?

Please provde a link.

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/ProductsST.html
All I see on this site are non-ED scopes.

Thanks

I guess they don't update their site all too often...

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/WhatsNew.html