Skywatcher 8" dob - otinions?

Old August 11th 03, 04:09 PM
John den Haan

Default Skywatcher 8" dob - otinions?

Hello there,

I'm currently looking to buy a scope with reasonable aperture for a
reasonable price. Obviously, a dobson is the way to go for me and looking at
my budget and relatively light-polluted area, 8" will be just fine.

Lately I spotted a relatively cheap 8" dobson of the 'skywatcher'-brand
(relabeled synta if I'm correct). It comes with a 2" focusing rack, a 8x50
finder and two plossl eyepieces.

What are the opinions on this scope? Does anyone have any positive/negative
experiences to share?

Thanks,

John

--
Clear Skies!

John den Haan
Mercurius public observatory
http://www.sterrenwacht.dordt.nl
Dordrecht, Netherlands

*SPAMBLOCK* Remove the "stopspam." from my e-mail address

Old August 11th 03, 10:42 PM
Emery Z. Balint Jr.

Hello,

I have a Skywatcher 10" Dob and I'm very very happy with it. I'm also in a
light polluted area (Calgary, Alberta Canada) and have had good success
seeing well with it. Can't wait to get to the mountains with it one day. My
model only came with one 28mm 2" Plossl, but the mirror is Pyrex rather than
regular or plate glass.

My astronomy web site, listed below, shows what it looks like and I've taken
some pictures through it using my not-so-good digital camera. Feel free to
take a look.

Emery.
/\^/\^/\
Sun Certified Java Programmer
www.websamba.com/javarobotics/
E-stronomy - Astronomical Resources
www.websamba.com/e-stronomy/
Talking with Tonz - Dance/Alternative Music
www.soundclick.com/talkingwithtonz/