Comet Provides New Clues to Origins of Earth's Oceans

Old May 25th 19, 12:08 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

Default Comet Provides New Clues to Origins of Earth's Oceans

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 1:28:54 PM UTC-7, Hägar wrote:
"palsing" wrote in message

Hagar, in this particular post I agree with everything that you have stated.
How does the article I referenced disagree with what you have just stated?

*** It just amazes me that you think of yourself as so brilliant and the
rest of us as so mentally starved, that you had to dredge up astronomical
facts that every high schooler should know and present them as the latest
and greatest in Palsing discoveries of the decade, you, the expert on
anything and everything in the realm of physics astronomy climate and
egomania.

What an asshole you are, Hagar. No, really, a complete asshole. Or maybe you are just another angry old man who is ****ed-off at the circumstances that life has dealt him and forwards it on to everyone else.

All I did was reference a recent study that seems to reinforce the idea that comets played a key role in bringing water to our planet billions of years ago. That's it. These are new facts that high-schoolers cannot possibly have previously known, and I in no way presented this article as one of the latest and greatest discoveries of the decade. Simply referencing an article by others does not make me an expert on anything, and I have not ever made such a claim.

If you think the results of this study are incorrect or that the data has been misinterpreted, well, you are free to provide your own evidence to the contrary. If you can't do that, then please just shut the **** up and go pound sand. I thought it was an interesting article and incorrectly thought that you, for example, might enjoy it and learn something new, as I did. Perhaps you already know everything there is to know and no longer have room in your little pea-brain to learn anything else.

What a ****in' complete loser you appear to be! I suggest you ignore my posts in the future since they seem to induce you to a state of rage for some obscure reason, but in any case, is probably not good for your health. Life's too short to waste it being angry.
Old May 25th 19, 05:24 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"palsing" wrote in message

[...]

*** I will gladly do that, Palsing, since they certainly are worth ignoring.
I have known for at least a decade that the water of the rocky planets came
from the Oort cloud, so you posting this on the Astronomy NG, which is
supposedly frequented by people who study this stuff, as the hottest news
off the press is a sign of your total arrogance and patronizing attitude
towards your fellow man.
Speaking of assholes, take a good long look in the mirror.

Old May 25th 19, 05:26 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"palsing" wrote in message

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 11:35:59 AM UTC-7, Mark Earnest wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 11:49:38 AM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
And what, Mark, are snowballs made of, if not water?

Water and dirt but not near enough water to fill up an ocean.

So, Mark, how many comets would it take to fill up an ocean? Let's assume
for this exercise that each comet is spherical and is 10 miles in diameter.
Show your work.

As Hagar has already pointed out, the Oort Cloud is the likely source of
many comets. How many, you ask? See this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

.... and read therein...

"The outer Oort cloud may have trillions of objects larger than 1 km (0.62
mi), and billions with absolute magnitudes brighter than 11 (corresponding
to approximately 20-kilometre (12 mi) diameter), with neighboring objects
tens of millions of kilometres apart. Its total mass is not known, but,
assuming that Halley's Comet is a suitable prototype for comets within the
outer Oort cloud, roughly the combined mass is 3×1025 kilograms (6.6×1025
lb), or five times that of Earth."

Read again "5 times that [the mass] of the Earth"

Does that sound like enough water?

*** Hey, Palsing ... you found someone even dumber than you are ...

Old May 25th 19, 09:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 9:24:32 PM UTC-7, Hägar wrote:

I have known for at least a decade that the water of the rocky planets came
from the Oort cloud...

This is just more bull**** from you, Hagar, once again shooting from the hip without aiming.

It is only a theory that Earth's water came from the Oort Cloud, so you cannot possibly know that it did for a fact. Unless, of course, you have evidence otherwise. Present your evidence, if you can, so we can all applaud your brilliance.

Read this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_water_on_Earth

.... where it says... "The origin of water on Earth, or the reason that there is clearly more liquid water on Earth than on the other rocky planets of the Solar System, is not completely understood. There exist numerous more or less mutually compatible hypotheses as to how water may have accumulated on Earth's surface over the past 4.5 billion years in sufficient quantity to form oceans."

This article goes on to explain the various theories regarding Earth's water source(s). It is a good read and makes one think. Thinking is good. Making unsubstantiated claims is not good.

,... so you posting this on the Astronomy NG, which is
supposedly frequented by people who study this stuff, as the hottest news
off the press is a sign of your total arrogance and patronizing attitude
towards your fellow man.

Clearly, I'm not the arrogant one here, and you are exaggerating my role in posting this article. I never claimed it was the hottest news off the press and neither did the article, All I did was provide a link to an article that reinforced one of those theories.

Sure, you might be correct that this theory eventually proves to be the most favored, but at this time no one can say for sure that it will. The fact of the matter is that I would agree with you that Earth's water probably came mainly from the Oort Cloud, but I would never make the claim that this is a fact, because it is not. You can be sure that scientists are working on collecting data to support these various theories and that sooner or later one of them will become the leading candidate, but that time is not now.

I'm not the enemy, Hagar, and you seem to be tilting at windmills here...
Old May 26th 19, 04:49 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"palsing" wrote in message

[...]

*** It would seem to me that the answer "where did all the water come from"
is really moot. One one hand there is the Oort Cloud, which is filled with
frozen water objects and the Kuiper Belt which is full of objects composed
of half solid and half ice, and on the other hand there is ... well, there
isn't an alternative.

Old May 26th 19, 10:06 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 9:26:20 PM UTC-7, Hägar wrote:
"palsing" wrote in message

[...]

A better question would be to look at the Moon and Mars and ask, "Where did all the water go?"

Double-A

Old May 26th 19, 10:49 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"palsing" wrote in message

[...]

*** The Moon never had a protective atmosphere, so any water would have
evaporated and blown away by the Solar wind. The surface temperature of the
side towards the Sun can exceed 250F.
Mars in all likelihood once was very much Earth like, to the extent that it
could have even supported vestiges of life of some sort. However, a
catastrophic collision with another orbiting body early Ii n its history
stripped Mars of most of its atmosphere and probably evaporated most of its
surface water. The rest of it simply evaporated, due to its tenuous
atmosphere. Remember that its surface temperature (direct Sunlight) is much
higher than its ambient air temperatures, as measured by the recent
landers..

Old May 27th 19, 02:04 AM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

"palsing" wrote in message

[...]

Comet Temple 1 was probed up close.It was as dry as the Moon.NASA exploded something into it and the probe got fine sand back like on the moon. My thinking is comets can't hold water they are to small.Its reality photons can break water down to its elements. No real proof of comets being a snow ball..Good reason for that.Bert
Old May 27th 19, 03:35 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 6:04:41 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:

Comet Temple 1 was probed up close.It was as dry as the Moon.NASA exploded something into it and the probe got fine sand back like on the moon. My thinking is comets can't hold water they are to small.Its reality photons can break water down to its elements. No real proof of comets being a snow ball.Good reason for that.Bert

First off, Bert, it is Comet Tempel, not Comet Temple, and you need to do more research before making up facts on your own. Read this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempel_1

.... where it says... "Water ice was detected in the ejecta.[7] The water ice came from 1 meter below the surface crust (the devolatized layer around the nucleus)."

Here is a paper that was written after the data was studied which talks about the distribution of water on Tempel 1...

http://www.planetary.brown.edu/pdfs/3546.pdf

This paper says that there was not much water near the surface of Tempel 1 but that there was plenty of water everywhere down to about 30 meters below the surface. This is not really much of a surprise because most comets contain lots of water.

Old May 27th 19, 04:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"palsing" wrote in message

[...]

*** With every fly-by the exposure to the Sun vaporizes water by penetrating
deeper and deeper into the passing comets. The vents which expel the steam
actually can change the orbits of the comets, albeit only slightly.