What meteor shower?

Old August 13th 07, 08:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default What meteor shower?

Didn't see a single one last night. We tried for 10 minutes each
beginning from
10 PM to 1 AM at about 1 hour intervals. Location is Houston suburbs
(central time). My son claims to have spotted one - I was looking in
the same direction, but didn't see it.

Old August 13th 07, 09:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Aug 13, 3:19 pm, wrote:
Didn't see a single one last night. We tried for 10 minutes each
beginning from
10 PM to 1 AM at about 1 hour intervals. Location is Houston suburbs
(central time). My son claims to have spotted one - I was looking in
the same direction, but didn't see it.

It helps to observe when the Perseid radiant is well above the
horizon; from 2 a.m. to twilight is good. Try the Geminid shower (in
December) which has a radiant that is well placed in the sky all
night, for the northern hemisphere.

Old August 13th 07, 10:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TR Oltrogge

wrote in message
oups.com...
Didn't see a single one last night. We tried for 10 minutes each
beginning from
10 PM to 1 AM at about 1 hour intervals. Location is Houston suburbs
(central time). My son claims to have spotted one - I was looking in
the same direction, but didn't see it.

From Pittsburgh suburbs I saw 2 within 6 minutes about 10:30PM EST last
night. So I told my daughter and boyfriend to come out for a look. They saw
nothing for the next fifteen minutes and went back inside assuming I had
lost it.

I went to bed 'cause thin clouds rolled in. Woke up at 3:30AM, noticed clear
skies, lay on the sidewalk in my PJs and watched about 4 or 5 short-duration
meteors in about 30 minutes. So me, I'm happy.

Old August 13th 07, 11:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jon Rosenstiel

"TR Oltrogge" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Didn't see a single one last night. We tried for 10 minutes each
beginning from
10 PM to 1 AM at about 1 hour intervals. Location is Houston suburbs
(central time). My son claims to have spotted one - I was looking in
the same direction, but didn't see it.

From Anaheim, CA, limiting magnitude of ~4.0 Sky hazy with high, thin clouds
moving through. Observed for about one hour starting 0300 PDT. Saw nine
Perseids in the first 40 minutes, then nothing the remaining 20 minutes.

Perseid Meteor Shower Algomeysa2 Amateur Astronomy 2 August 13th 05 07:49 PM
Meteor shower Margret Misc 17 May 21st 05 02:17 PM
Meteor shower tonight. Roy UK Astronomy 3 November 19th 04 10:56 PM
Meteor shower tonight... Greg P. Astronomy Misc 3 June 23rd 04 04:23 PM
meteor shower. Don McDonald Amateur Astronomy 12 February 5th 04 03:04 AM