High power binoculars

Old August 10th 03, 09:36 AM
Memiself

Default High power binoculars

What are they like and what size would you recomend for astro watching, as I
am thinking of buying one.Thinking of the 25 X 100, does anyone have one and
are they worth getting.

Old August 10th 03, 03:08 PM
Timo Relander

"Memiself" kirjoitti viestissä
What are they like and what size would you recomend for astro watching, as

am thinking of buying one.Thinking of the 25 X 100, does anyone have one

and
are they worth getting.

I had the chance to try out a pair of 25 X 100 binoculars. They were great,
an d i ordered a pair immediately. They havenīt arrived yet though. Few bad
things: they are very heavy (you absolutely need a tripod), and the field of
vision is only 3-3.5 degrees ( so you only see a small part of the sky).

Iīve had alot of fun with my 8 X 42 allround binos. They show a lot of
stars, donīt weigh much, and the field of vision is 8.5 deg. And they didnīt
cost much.

Old August 10th 03, 10:26 PM
Brett Aubrey

"Memiself" wrote in message
What are they like and what size would you recomend for astro watching,
as I am thinking of buying one.Thinking of the 25 X 100, does anyone
have one and are they worth getting.

Just a suggestion, implied by the first response. Try 'em out for what you
want them applied to (stargazing, wildlife, etc.), and if you find them
good, buy 'em. But you didn't mention make or model, and if they're not
optically excellent, you may find trying a higher quality pair worthwhile,
such as Nikon HG, Zeiss Victory, Leica, Steiner, Swarovsky, Fuji, etc. I
gather Zeiss Victory's roof-prism 10x56 are a great compromise between
relatively low weight and excellent optics, for a specific example, for
around $2,200US.

Personally, when one gets up to 25x, I'd consider a telescope. FWIW.
Regards, Brett.

Old August 11th 03, 11:21 AM
Memiself

Thanks for the replies, much apreciated.I own a 4 1/2" saxon equatorial
reflecting telescope at the moment and was just wondering if seeing was any
better with binos.And am in Australia.