ASTRO: NGC 2146 repost from last year

Old February 18th 07, 11:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 2146 repost from last year

I don't have any new stuff, so I'll just repost one picture from last year.
NGC 2146 is one of my favourite galaxies.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.3, SXV-H9 camera, 73x5
minutes.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2146-73x5gut.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	446
Old February 18th 07, 02:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvdH

Nice one Stefan! been a long time sinds we could capture some images.. It's
still very foggy here in the lowlands.
If these winters continue like this we could better sell our equipment and
find another hobby..
( or hire hubble haha..)

reg
Dirk

Old February 18th 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

I don't have any new stuff, so I'll just repost one picture from last
year. NGC 2146 is one of my favourite galaxies.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.3, SXV-H9 camera,
73x5
minutes.

Stefan

That was another new one to me when you posted it last year. It went on
my list and is still there. I can't find it anyplace in my notes and it
looks very interesting all messed up like that. So many galaxies, so
little time -- and clear skies.

I did bump up NGC 3310 to the top of my list after seeing your shot of
that crazy guy. At the time I didn't recall ever seeing it but I had my
notes from visual days on it under "Bow String Galaxy". Anyway, I took
some data through clouds the other night. Not sure what I got, some
frames looked usable. I'll post it if I can get it to work. The bright
star to the north really cast a glare and some internal reflections into
my shot. Didn't seem to bother you though might have been out of your
frame.

Here are my visual notes on 3310:
SMALL, CIRCULAR GALAXY WITH A HINT OF A MUCH LARGER OUTER HALO. LOOKS
MUCH LIKE A PLANETARY WITH A VERY FAINT OUTER SHELL. NO NUCLEUS SEEN.
Apparently I was seeing part of the "bowstring". Though not the
nucleus that seems so apparent in your shot.

Nothing but thick clouds the last few days. Something about new moon
attracts them.

Rick

Old February 21st 07, 05:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
LA

A classic!! BTW, what's going on with that Galaxy? It looks like its
getting torn apart. An excellent capture Stefan. Clear Skyz, LA

Old February 21st 07, 07:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Most sources say it interacted with NGC 2146A (about 18 minutes NE).
That galaxy looks like a faint M64 in that it too has a black eye. My
to do list includes trying to get both in one shot. Not sure if I can
find an appropriate guide star but will give it a try if the clouds ever
go away. It finally warmed up putting an end to my frost problem but
the clouds moved in. Can't seem to win. Nor can most judging from the
lack of posts of late. I've apparently had better luck than most, just
doesn't feel that way.

Rick

Old February 27th 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

That is very nice Stefan... I can see why it is a favorite.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com