The Cow Paradox

Old December 21st 06, 06:41 AM posted to sci.astro.seti
Keith Wood

Default The Cow Paradox

Seth Shostak muses over a fourth-rate burger:

http://www.seti.org/site/apps/nl/con...993&ct=3300521

Sounds very wasteful to me. Why would a Type II civilization expend
so much energy just to contact a lowly Type I civilization like us?

Old December 27th 06, 10:51 PM posted to sci.astro.seti
Brad Guth[_2_]

"Keith Wood" wrote in message

Sounds very wasteful to me. Why would a Type II civilization expend
so much energy just to contact a lowly Type I civilization like us?

I thought we were a Type 0 civilization (meaning type zero or perhaps
less than zero). How the heck did we manage to get ourselves all the
way to being Type I?
-
Brad Guth

Old December 29th 06, 04:16 AM posted to sci.astro.seti
Rob Dekker

"Keith Wood" wrote in message ...
Seth Shostak muses over a fourth-rate burger:

http://www.seti.org/site/apps/nl/con...993&ct=3300521

Sounds very wasteful to me. Why would a Type II civilization expend
so much energy just to contact a lowly Type I civilization like us?

I agree.
There is not much use in flashing lights at alien cows, since they cannot answer any way.
It's so much intelligent for them to set up a smaller beacon and wait until we develop technology to find it and we can actually
answer them.
A Type II civilization did not become Type II by being wastefull and stupid.

Rob

Old December 29th 06, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.seti
Chris

Most ET don't think we are worth contacting, 8000 years of warfare and we
are still at it. I think they are more likely to pick up a few nice ones for
pets and gas all the rest so they can take over our lovely planet that we
are obviously not fit for.

Chris.

Some cows are nice pets.

"Rob Dekker" wrote in message
news

Old December 29th 06, 10:22 PM posted to sci.astro.seti
jacob navia

Chris a écrit :
Most ET don't think we are worth contacting, 8000 years of warfare and we
are still at it. I think they are more likely to pick up a few nice ones for
pets and gas all the rest so they can take over our lovely planet that we
are obviously not fit for.

That would be all too human...

I think they just do not care.

Why should they?
Old December 30th 06, 01:10 AM posted to sci.astro.seti
Anthony Cerrato

"jacob navia" wrote in message
Chris a écrit :
Most ET don't think we are worth contacting, 8000 years

of warfare and we
are still at it. I think they are more likely to pick up

a few nice ones for
pets and gas all the rest so they can take over our

lovely planet that we
are obviously not fit for.

That would be all too human...

I think they just do not care.

Why should they?

Exactly right! Our penchant for warfare and/or our numerous
many other potentially strange practices/customs has nothing
whatsoever to do with lack of being contacted by
hyper-intelligent races in the galaxy--for one thing, the
primary criterion for them to consider a species worth
contacting at all would likely be, for starters, the
prerequisite that the species be an interstellar traveling
one--one, which is ubiquitous in the galaxy already.

Perhaps other rules or behaviors need be adhered too also,
e.g., maybe races have to discover and utilize a certain
advanced form of energy (Zero-point, say) or they must
already be utilizing some advanced form of communication
(FTL, say) to even be detectable.

In any event, this is the only type of species which has
even a chance of being intelligent enough to be worth
contacting. Besides, if we are not that advanced, we might
simply be invisible far as they are concerned...ants
crawling about on a single twig of a single branch of the
tree of the galaxy. sigh ...tonyC

what if paradox kjakja Misc 130 December 12th 04 05:09 AM
re ashmore's paradox lyndonashmore Misc 35 April 4th 04 07:31 AM
Fermi Paradox Andrew Nowicki SETI 10 April 3rd 04 07:13 AM
Ashmore's Paradox Lyndon Ashmore Misc 3 November 22nd 03 01:04 PM
Ashmore's Paradox Lyndon Ashmore UK Astronomy 0 November 14th 03 10:32 AM