Spacecraft to slam comet?

Old October 22nd 04, 01:00 AM

Default Spacecraft to slam comet?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pace_impact_dc

Wouldn't this possibly change the orbit of the comet, which can then
either hit Eearth or even hit other comets and change their course?

Not to smart me thinks. But then, I'm no rocket scientist.
Old October 22nd 04, 01:06 AM
starlord

Compaired to the size of the comet, the speed it's going, the spaceprobe
would be like a nat slaming into your hand as your throwing a baseball.

I am a Rocketeer.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
http://starlords.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

wrote in message

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nm/space_impac
t_dc

Wouldn't this possibly change the orbit of the comet, which can then
either hit Eearth or even hit other comets and change their course?

Not to smart me thinks. But then, I'm no rocket scientist.

---

Old October 22nd 04, 01:19 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:00:45 -0700, "
wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pace_impact_dc

Wouldn't this possibly change the orbit of the comet, which can then
either hit Eearth or even hit other comets and change their course?

Not to smart me thinks. But then, I'm no rocket scientist.

The energy will be enough to make a 100m crater in a 6km diameter object. The
momentum of an object a microscopic fraction of the mass of the comet will be
transferred to the comet. I very much doubt that the resulting orbital deviation
is even measurable. It certainly won't be enough to throw the comet into an
Earth crossing orbit. No worries!

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
David G. Nagel

wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pace_impact_dc

Wouldn't this possibly change the orbit of the comet, which can then
either hit Eearth or even hit other comets and change their course?

Not to smart me thinks. But then, I'm no rocket scientist.

The energy will be enough to make a 100m crater in a 6km diameter object. The
momentum of an object a microscopic fraction of the mass of the comet will be
transferred to the comet. I very much doubt that the resulting orbital deviation
is even measurable. It certainly won't be enough to throw the comet into an
Earth crossing orbit. No worries!

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Unless the butterfly effect occurs.

Dave Nagel
Old October 22nd 04, 06:48 AM
Consumer Goods

which would be more thanenough to turn my head and pitch the ball into
some woman;'s open mouth!

Old October 22nd 04, 09:32 AM
Paul Lawler

Consumer Goods wrote in
:

which would be more thanenough to turn my head and pitch the ball into
some woman;'s open mouth!

What Dennis really means is a gnat slamming into the baseball as it leaves
your hand. Although I suspect that this gnat will leave a football field
sized crater, although it is unlikely to perturb the comet's orbit.
Old October 22nd 04, 04:14 PM
starlord

Then I'll put it this way, the space probe would have about the same effect
as a grasshoppen impacting on the front bummper of a 18 wheel simi going
down the interstate at 75mph.

or the same effect as you taking a head down run at a brick wall.

Old October 22nd 04, 05:04 PM
Chuck

I assuming all of the responders have access to a state vector of both the
comet and the satellite, have computed the angle of impact, differentially
corrected the comet state vector and propagated it out a few thousand years

Thanks,

Chuck

Old October 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
rander3127

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:14:01 -0700, "starlord"
wrote:

Then I'll put it this way, the space probe would have about the same effect
as a grasshoppen impacting on the front bummper of a 18 wheel simi going
down the interstate at 75mph.

or the same effect as you taking a head down run at a brick wall.

Even if it had a measurable effect, since when did space exploration
mean "no risk involved?" The only reason the poster was asking was
that it's alien for anyone but astronauts to have to TAKE any risks,
but we all get the benefits from space exploration.

Old October 22nd 04, 06:00 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Chuck wrote:
I assuming all of the responders have access to a state vector of both the
comet and the satellite, have computed the angle of impact, differentially
corrected the comet state vector and propagated it out a few thousand years

Naw. All they need is a little common sense...

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply have a physician remove your spleen