ASTRO: NGC 7800

Old November 11th 10, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: NGC 7800

NGC 7800
Pegasus
Penryn, California
September 2008
M 250 @ f 9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME LRGB 10 minute subs

NGC 7800 is a mag. 14 type Im irregular galaxy, distance is 66 Mly.

Has the appearance of a polar ring galaxy.

Seeing was not that good.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ngc 7800-lrgb-09rewk.jpg (52.8 KB, 108 views)
Old November 11th 10, 06:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 11/11/2010 10:29 AM, glen youman wrote:
NGC 7800
Pegasus
Penryn, California
September 2008
M 250 @ f 9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME LRGB 10 minute subs

NGC 7800 is a mag. 14 type Im irregular galaxy, distance is 66 Mly.

Has the appearance of a polar ring galaxy.

Seeing was not that good.

That's one that has been on my to do list for several years. I need to
clean that list up as I've taken most around this one and it's buried in
a pile labeled DONE. I keep overlooking it. Twice this fall I looked
at the end of the NGC list and decided I'd done them all but for a few
so low I need a perfect night. Kept overlooking this one. Thanks for
reminding me. I labeled it Im as you note rather than an Arp-like
candidate. If I'd put it there I'd have done it by now. Looks more Im
to me but the distance seems to be at 64 million light years by red
shift and Tully-Fisher puts it quite a bit further out. (78 mly). If so
it's angular size seems large for a typical Im at that distance.
Interesting.

Rick

Old November 14th 10, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Glen,

in spite of the not-so-good seeing you managed to match the resolution of
the DSS. While it is possible even under city skies to reach the same depth
as the DSS I always find it difficult to match it's detail and sharpness.

Stefan