ASTRO: UGC 10822

Old November 15th 10, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: UGC 10822

UGC 10822 - Draco Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy
Draco
Penryn, California
May 2009
FS-128 (ag, St-4)
ST-2000XM L 10 minute subs

UGC 10822 was discovered in 1954 by Albert Wilson at Lowell
Observatory, it is a companion to our galaxy at 263,000 light years.
It is classified as spheroidal, contains a population of older stars
and very little dust.

There are more than two hundred articles/studies on NASA/ADS related
to this galaxy.

Threre are numberous studies trying to identify, measure, etc. dark
matter in this galaxy.

We probably borrowed most of the dust and gas from this galaxy for use
in the Milky Way.

When stretched I see what could be a light dust lane from top to
bottom.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ugc 10822-lum-f09.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	3229
Old November 15th 10, 09:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 11/15/2010 12:44 PM, glen youman wrote:
[...]

How many 10 minute subs? When I tried this one on a good night I got no
hint of the background oval glow or dust lane. I used 6 ten minute subs.

Rick

Old November 16th 10, 02:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

For luminance, I consider 12-10 minute subs a minimum for bright
objects. When a dim object attracts my attention and my imaging
plans allow I'll devote many more hours to the object. if plans don't
allow further data acquisition,the initial data will reside on my hard
disk until such time as I am able to add more.

Ten years ago, 4 exposures of 15 minutes or 20 minutes was minimun but
those days are history at this location.

To answer your question, 42 exposures calibrated and mean combined in
CCDstack and saved as 32 bit tif after ddp processing. Final
processing in CS3 (have since upgraded to CS5 -I don't recommend it).

Images were acquired over a three night period.

Old November 16th 10, 07:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image Glen. You managed to show a galaxy and not just few stars as I
did some years ago.

Stefan