OT - TSA bans gels, liquids at aircraft museums

Old August 24th 06, 12:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default OT - TSA bans gels, liquids at aircraft museums

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

LBJ- Vietnam.
GWB- Iraq.

FDR- WW2

Won.

Lincoln- War of Southern Aggression

Don't you mean "War Of Northern Aggression"? That's what my friend The
Secess Cannonball* called it.

Won.

Truman- Korea

Won or stalemate, depending on whether it was fought to keep south free,
or destroy communism in north. If fought to stop aggression by North
Korea, then won.

Tyler- Mexico

Won. This is where present Texas came from BTW.

Wilson- WW1

Won.

And so on and so forth...

Vietnam- lost.
Iraq- who knows? This side of a miracle, lost.

* "...and till this day when you walk by that grave you may hear a
voice, deep and booming, coming out of the ground...'How Stands The
Union?' it shall ask...and you'd better answer: 'Rust bottomed and
rotten timbered, teetering on the edge and ready to fall, decayed and
corrupted as the body of the great ape Lincoln!' or he's liable to rise
right up out of the ground and come at you with a mighty rebel yell!"
-"The Devil and Rudy Wilmer"

Pat
Old August 24th 06, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

Pat Flannery wrote:

This is the Japanese WW II Bushido mindset in action...

Here's Union Gen. H. V. Boynton on the storming of Missionary Ridge
at Chattanooga:

"Eighty-nine regiments rush for the earthworks at the base of the
ridge -- every soldier like an arrow shot from a string which had been
drawn to its full tension.... Riflemen in the Confederate earthworks
and belching batteries above pelted them with the varied hail of
battle. The sun swung low over the ridge. It never looked in all its
shining over battlefields upon a more imposing rush. Two miles and a
half of gleaming rifle-barrels, line after line of them, and more than
a hundred and fifty banners, state and national, blossoming along the
advance. Not a straggler, only the killed and wounded, dropped from
the ranks. They swept over the lower earthworks, capturing many
prisoners, and...swarmed up the slopes. The colors rushed in advance,
and the men crowded towards the banners. Each regiment became a
wedge-shaped mass, the flags at the cutting edge cleaving the way to
the summit. Without faltering, without a stay, the flags went on, --
not long, it is sadly true, in the same hands, but always in willing
hands..."

Many years ago, when I first read that, it brought tears to my eyes.
And then, when I'd wiped them away, I thought: gee, just like
Pickett's charge, that sounds remarkably like the "human wave... they
place little value on human life" attacks of the Japanese in WWII or
Chinese in Korea or Iranians in the Gulf War or...
Old August 24th 06, 04:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:31:36 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Tyler- Mexico

Won. This is where present Texas came from BTW.

....Uh, not exactly. Texas won its independence w/o direct help from
the US in 1836. They simply joined the Union under Tyler, especially
after Tyler - a States' Rights advocate - allowed the clause that
permitted Texas to leave the Union any damn time they wish if the
Union started ****ing up.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old August 24th 06, 05:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

wrote:

Tyler- Mexico

Won. This is where present Texas came from BTW.

....Oh, and one other correction: the whole war w/Mexico came about
under Polk, not Tyler, and it was over California and New Mexico.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old August 24th 06, 05:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Davis

OM wrote:

especially
after Tyler - a States' Rights advocate - allowed the clause that
permitted Texas to leave the Union any damn time they wish if the
Union started ****ing up.

I think this particular notion is OM's answer to Giovanni Abrate's
"lost cosmonauts". :-)

Jim Davis

Old August 24th 06, 05:12 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:18:10 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

So they didn't tell them that... the told them it would take a few weeks
or months, cost around 50 billion dollars and everybody would be home
for Christmas.
In short, they either:
A.) Completely ****ed up as to what the war would entail, indicating
gross incompetence on their part.
or:
B.) Realized what it would entail, and lied about it.

....Or C.) Realized what needed to be done, but refused to do so in
order to make money off of it as long as possible.

....Face it, kids: drop one well-placed nuke in the middle of Iran, and
you can guarantee that all the "Allah Akbar" crap would go the way
Bushido went when Hiroshima and Nagasaki became Crispy Critter
Estates. Only one would be necessary because most of those people over
in that part of the world have had enough education to have heard what
a nuke can do, and all they'd need is one demonstration to separate
the myth from reality.

One nuke, 500' over Tehran to maximize the precursor wave, carried
live on CNN.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old August 24th 06, 05:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Chuck Stewart

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:12:19 -0500, OM wrote:

...Face it, kids: drop one well-placed nuke in the middle of Iran, and
you can guarantee that all the "Allah Akbar" crap would go the way
Bushido went when Hiroshima and Nagasaki became Crispy Critter
Estates. Only one would be necessary because most of those people over
in that part of the world have had enough education to have heard what
a nuke can do, and all they'd need is one demonstration to separate
the myth from reality.

Two things...

1. While Iran has not been the nicest of
neighbors, neither has it spent the last
few decades making every last one of its
neighbors hate it with a truly lethal
passion. Japan pulled that stunt.

2. Unlike the Bushido code, Islam is a
major religion with adherents worldwide.

OM

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"
Old August 24th 06, 07:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko

Pat Flannery wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:

The Texas Mentality

When faced with the choice of the world vs. the US, always choose the
US.
When faced with the choice of the US vs. Texas, always choose Texas.

The problem now is that we have Texas vs. the world and the rest of the
US is along for the ride. Like it or not!

Consider the historical event that is basis of Texan pride: The Battle
Of The Alamo.
A group of Texans take over a basically indefensible strategic position
which Santa Anna's forces could easily have bypassed in order to lure
him into battle and hold him up till Sam Houston rides to their aid.
Aiding them in this historic cause are many non-Texans, including Jim
Bowie and Davy Crockett.
When it becomes obvious that the Mexican forces vastly outnumber their
own, the Alamo defenders do not retreat to a safer position, they hold
their ground.
When Santa Anna offers them surrender, they do not accept it, they hold
their ground.
They are then slaughtered to a man in battle.
Then Sam Houston's forces do take on Santa Anna and win.

What grand lessons does this teach the Texan mind?
1.) Texans are there to inspire people from other states to join them in
their worthy cause.
2.) It's worth losing if you can even temporarily hold the enemy up, and
inflict some harm on him.
3.) Real men don't retreat even when the situation is hopeless.
4.) Nor do they ever surrender, no matter what the alternative is.
5.) As long as everyone is brave enough to die, victory will surely come
shortly.

I think it has more to do with San Antonio than it does Texas. In fact
when one walks along the Riverwalk area one doesn't get the feeling of
being in Texas. San Antonio is unique. I even tell Texans that they can
have Dallas, Houston and El Paso but that they must share San Antonio
with us Yankees! Gets their goad every single time!

A lot of this sounds familiar.
This is the Japanese WW II Bushido mindset in action:
If we are all extraordinarily brave and take extraordinary risks, the
gods will reward us with sure victory; in fact the more willing to die,
and in fact the more of us that die, the more sure that victory will become.
Every setback is not a setback, but merely shows that we haven't been
brave enough yet- the more desperate and hopeless the situation the
greater the opportunity for glory on our parts. No retreat! No
surrender! Better to die to the last man than face the ignominy of
having shown cowardice in the face of the enemy!
We all remember how well that whole strategy played out for Japan when
it was actually put into action... mass pointless banzai charges
slaughtering their troops that could have resisted for far longer if
properly used and strategically withdrawn when the enemy showed
overwhelming strength.
But the Texan mindset is fixed- when your greatest heroes were the
slaughtered of the Alamo, and most historically defining event a bloody
military defeat, then the bloodier the battle the better! To do any less
would be a betrayal of your Texan soul.
Surely, if we just keep it up enough and keep escalating more and more,
no matter what the losses, then sooner or later Sam Houston will come
riding to our rescue and a great victory will be ours! If not, then we
went down fighting!
So if things don't go right in Vietnam, then it's time to try harder, no
matter what the casualty figures are like. Victory is inevitable with
enough time, courage, and blood.
And if things don't go right in Iraq, the same rule applies. It just
takes more effort and sacrifice on our parts- the basic concept is
certainly not unsound.

Vietnam and Iraq were/are over there, The Alamo was right here.

But our enemy is using a different battleplan- strike, withdraw,
regroup, strike again at a different point; never attack your enemy
where he is, attack him where he isn't. Bypass him, cut him off, avoid
direct large scale battles at all costs unless absolutely necessary, and
then whenever possible only when you are completely sure of a swift
victory that immediately advantages your strategic position. Always keep
your forces intact, even if it means retreating. Sound familiar? What if
the guy saying it was smoking a corncob pipe, wearing sunglasses, and
had a really unkempt looking General's hat on?
What if the guy saying it long before him later became our country's
first president?
Right now, our Iraqi "green zones" are like Japanese held Pacific
islands- they are mighty formidable, but hell to supply with all those
insurgent submarines lurking out there...and the insurgents aren't
playing fair by not doing a manly direct attack on us, the way that
decent Texans would. It shows their cowardice and inferiority... mind
you they might win this way, but the moral victory would surely be ours,
and that's worth dying for. And besides, their victory would be
short-lived, as at any moment God is going to come riding over the hill
with six angelic battalions of the Army Of The Republic Of Texas behind
him...provided of course that we show that we are _worthy_ of His aid by
holding the fort no matter what the cost. Remember the Alamo was a
church, and he obviously saw what was going on their, and intervened
against the Godless Spanish.
But no, it's up to Texas to show us all the rest of how to as great of
men as Texan's are, and if that means dying to the last man, so be it.

Makes me wonder what percentage of the names on the Vietnam Memorial
near the DC Mall are from Texas?

The latest political line out of Washington is how unfortunate it was
that the people in power didn't tell the American public just how long
and costly in both lives and treasure the war in Iraq would be, so that
they would be ready for what has transpired since it began.
This is a very novel argument...because if they had told the public that
it would take years upon years, cost them over 300 billion dollars, and
send back thousands of their sons and daughters in body bags, as more
and more Ready Reserve and National Guard members were called up, the
American people would have told them to go **** themselves and the horse
they rode in on.
So they didn't tell them that... the told them it would take a few weeks
or months, cost around 50 billion dollars and everybody would be home
for Christmas.
In short, they either:
A.) Completely ****ed up as to what the war would entail, indicating
gross incompetence on their part.
or:
B.) Realized what it would entail, and lied about it.

Notice how defiant Bush gets about not bringing the troops home during
his tenure as president and leaving it to someone else?

Eric

Pat

Old August 24th 06, 07:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 24 Aug 2006 11:45:43 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Eric Chomko"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

I think it has more to do with San Antonio than it does Texas. In fact
when one walks along the Riverwalk area one doesn't get the feeling of
being in Texas. San Antonio is unique. I even tell Texans that they can
have Dallas, Houston and El Paso but that they must share San Antonio
with us Yankees! Gets their goad every single time!

It never gets their "goad" (or their goat, either). It just makes
them think, as the rest of us do, that you're an idiot.
Old August 24th 06, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg wrote:
On 24 Aug 2006 11:45:43 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Eric Chomko"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

I think it has more to do with San Antonio than it does Texas. In fact
when one walks along the Riverwalk area one doesn't get the feeling of
being in Texas. San Antonio is unique. I even tell Texans that they can
have Dallas, Houston and El Paso but that they must share San Antonio
with us Yankees! Gets their goad every single time!

It never gets their "goad" (or their goat, either). It just makes
them think, as the rest of us do, that you're an idiot.

You are way too much of a dumb gringo to think that you speak for the
average citizen of San Antonio. I put you on par with the average
****-kicker dirt farmer too damn dumb to know he's got oil on his land
before he sells said land to a carpetbagger like George Bush and
Company.

Eric