Shuttle Derived Launchers - Safe, Simple, Soon

Old June 26th 05, 02:12 AM
Rusty

Default Shuttle Derived Launchers - Safe, Simple, Soon

Website from Alliant Techsystems showing proposed
shuttle derived launchers, titled, "Safe, Simple, Soon":

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/media-images.htm

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/default.htm

Rusty
Old June 26th 05, 03:42 AM
David Higgins

Rusty wrote:
Website from Alliant Techsystems showing proposed
shuttle derived launchers, titled, "Safe, Simple, Soon":

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/media-images.htm

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/default.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on how hard it would be to air-start an SSME?
They seem to be proposing using one (or two) on the second stage.
Old June 26th 05, 03:59 AM

From: David Higgins

Anyone have any thoughts on how hard it would be to air-start an SSME?
They seem to be proposing using one (or two) on the second stage.

It must be possible, otherwise it wouldn't already be proven. And it must
have been reliable, otherwise it wouldn't be safe.

Phil
Old June 26th 05, 05:12 AM
Henry Spencer

David Higgins wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on how hard it would be to air-start an SSME?
They seem to be proposing using one (or two) on the second stage.

There's nothing inherently hard about it. It does require some added
equipment, either on the SSME stage or on the previous stage, to do
various minor pre-start jobs that are done for the shuttle by ground
support gear. My understanding is that this was studied quite a while
back -- there have long been proposals to use SSMEs as high-performance
space maneuvering engines, for example -- and it doesn't look difficult.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old June 26th 05, 03:09 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:12:04 -0500, Rusty wrote
(in article ):

Website from Alliant Techsystems showing proposed
shuttle derived launchers, titled, "Safe, Simple, Soon":

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/media-images.htm

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/default.htm

Rusty

Ah, the joys of view-graph engineerning. Makes it look all so damned
easy, doesn't it? Kind of like sliding down a snowy slope with your
feet on two planks looks easy until the first time you try it.

Fifteen years ago we used to "Mac up" stuff like this all the time.
Now I suppose they "Powerpoint" it up instead. :-/

--
Herb Schaltegger, GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old June 26th 05, 03:11 PM
Matt

I have no doubt the SSME mod is doable. However, given that NASA is
preselecting a single source for the heavy-lifter engines, the
contractor is likely to hold up the government with cost estimates
bordering on extortion.

Matt
ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THE PERSONAL OPINION OF THE AUTHOR

Old June 26th 05, 03:53 PM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:42:14 GMT, in a place far, far away, David
Higgins made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Rusty wrote:
Website from Alliant Techsystems showing proposed
shuttle derived launchers, titled, "Safe, Simple, Soon":

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/media-images.htm

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/default.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on how hard it would be to air-start an SSME?
They seem to be proposing using one (or two) on the second stage.

Probably mods to the hot box, and a requalification of the engine.
Many millions of dollars.
Old June 26th 05, 04:32 PM
richard schumacher

Rusty wrote:

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/default.htm

The concept is ideal for a compnay with 14,000 employees to support.
Old June 26th 05, 05:25 PM
Peter Stickney

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Ah, the joys of view-graph engineerning. Makes it look all so
damned
easy, doesn't it? Kind of like sliding down a snowy slope with your
feet on two planks looks easy until the first time you try it.

Fifteen years ago we used to "Mac up" stuff like this all the time.
Now I suppose they "Powerpoint" it up instead. :-/

"No poor ******* ever won a war by producing PowerPoint slides for his
country.
He won by making the other poor ******* produce PowerPoint slides for
_his_ country"
Gen. Tommy Franks modification to Patton's Observation

--
Pete Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee.