"Nazis Run Our Space Program" -- Peace Activist Bruce Gag-Me

Old March 17th 05, 11:23 PM
Pat Flannery

Ami Silberman wrote:

The recipie I particularily remember is Chinese Tea Duck. You take a
airtight (or nearly so) container, put in about a cup of loose tea leaves
and a cup of raw rice, a wire rack, and a duck. Stick it on top of the stove
for about an hour and a half. If the container isn't airtight, you may have
to open up all your windows and disconnect the fire alarm. (This is what
happened when we tried it.) The duck is absolutely delicious. It does seem
an odd way of cooking. My theory was that some guy centuries ago had a
warehouse where he stored rice and tea, and kept a few ducks in the attic.
One night, a drunken Toshiro Mifune crept in, looking for the hidden Samurai
armor, and accidentally set fire to the place. The poor owner was
distraught, but kept wondering "what is that wonderful smell"...

Now that I've got to try! Is there a particular type of tea to use? Like
Green Tea for a male Mallard?

Pat
Old March 17th 05, 11:35 PM
Pat Flannery

Eric Chomko wrote:

I understood Pat's comment perfectly, and it has nothing to do with the
military and as everything to do with how you view yourself.

To clear the air here; the remark was supposed to be a reference to our
new society being along the lines of a fascist dictatorship with lots of
uniforms and parades; as long as we are going to be impoverished and
exploited, we might as well have cool uniforms to wear while we suffer.

No the diversion was that you're still sore at being the butt of Pat's
joke. There that should be enough fodder to get you back into trouble.

Rand Simberg = Buttfodder? :-\
Sounds like a term for inmates in a Turkish prison.

Pat
Old March 17th 05, 11:44 PM
Pat Flannery

Eric Chomko wrote:

: No, instead we've had taxpayer uprisings.

Is that what the Revolution was against England back in 1776-83?

To some extent, yes. The battlecry of "No taxation without
representation!" was a major one during the war.
Then there was George III's demand that he have the right of Prima Nocta
with all women married in the colonies; who can forget that fateful day
that George Washington's wife was killed by General Burgoyne, and he
painted his face half blue and....and ... wait a minute. :-)

Pat
Old March 18th 05, 12:00 AM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-03-17, Pat Flannery wrote:

To clear the air here; the remark was supposed to be a reference to our
new society being along the lines of a fascist dictatorship with lots of
uniforms and parades; as long as we are going to be impoverished and
exploited, we might as well have cool uniforms to wear while we suffer.

"If only this were a proper police state... then at least the trains
would run on time."

--
-Andrew Gray

Old March 18th 05, 12:28 AM
OM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:44:39 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Then there was George III's demand that he have the right of Prima Nocta
with all women married in the colonies; who can forget that fateful day
that George Washington's wife was killed by General Burgoyne, and he
painted his face half blue and....and ... wait a minute. :-)

....Pat's not that far from the truth with this one, kids. The forced
billetting of Redcoats was viewed with the same disgust as if Fat
George had decreed that every virgin in the Colonies had to be
deflowered by he himself. Considering that according to a couple of
sources the Colonial population too a 14% spike upwards in the first
year the billetting was in full swing, I suspect Fat George was
essentially raping the Colonists by proxy after all.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 18th 05, 12:40 AM
OM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:04:22 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

(Cut to scene of stone rolling away from a dog turd)

....After which, Foghorn Leghorn becomes the first of the Disciples.

"Ah say thar, son, I say, have you heard the Word of Jesus Chicken?"

God, I'd completely forgotten those- they did have those too, didn't they?

....Yeah, they did. Until PETA and the local health departments put a
nix on the idea, most of the dime stores locally - Ben Franklin, TG&Y,
and Woolworth's - had them. Pink, Blue, Green, Enhanced Yellow, Orange
and Purple, but no Red. The owner of the Ben Franklin next to my
granddad's old cafeteria was fond of saying that "Red Chickens are for
Communists!"

Can you imagine the prices you could get on E-bay for those old models
nowadays?

....CIP: The "Voyager" from the "Fantastic Voyage" cartoon is a rather
shoddy kit, even for Aurora's quality. However, because it had such a
short press run, finding a mint-in-box kit is damn near impossible,
and what's out there can usually go for 3-4K. Usually all you find are
the assembled ones in ****-poor shape, with the Testor's Old Red Tube
turning the adhesion points bile yellow. And those, alas, generally go
for $200-300 a pop, and normally are missing the tailfin and the upper
horizontal stabilizer, if not the glass pieces.

My brother got a Strombecker Ferry Rocket with the transparent exterior
and colored paper inserts to show the interior layout down there.

....That one was one I never got, because locally nobody got the
Strombecker products. We did get Lindbergh and Hawk kits, tho, which
in retrospect still surprises me.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 18th 05, 12:44 AM
OM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:57:33 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

This morphed into Gibson's,

....Gibson's we had, and from 1968 thru 1971, it was the only place in
town to get kits at knockdown prices that had been out of stock at the
local hobby shops for months, if not years. It was where I picked up
my first-press edition of the Glenn commemorative reworking of the
Atlas booster & launch pad. Had all the nice extras, and was also
listed as being approved by the Boy Scouts of America with regards to
the Space Exploration merit badge - the second badge I got, right
after First Aid, and just before earning Basketweaving while drunk on
a six-pack of old formula Schlitz we'd smuggled into Camp Wilderness.
My mom still has the basket, which came out more like a pencil holder.
Which made sense, since I was drunk and the basket was supposed to
have a wineglass shape :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 18th 05, 02:44 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:35:59 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Eric Chomko wrote:

I understood Pat's comment perfectly, and it has nothing to do with the
military and as everything to do with how you view yourself.

To clear the air here; the remark was supposed to be a reference to our
new society being along the lines of a fascist dictatorship with lots of
uniforms and parades; as long as we are going to be impoverished and
exploited, we might as well have cool uniforms to wear while we suffer.

Yes, which is why Eric's response was...typical. And hilarious.
Old March 18th 05, 03:31 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:44:39 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat

Eric Chomko wrote:

: No, instead we've had taxpayer uprisings.

Is that what the Revolution was against England back in 1776-83?

To some extent, yes. The battlecry of "No taxation without
representation!" was a major one during the war.
Then there was George III's demand that he have the right of Prima Nocta
with all women married in the colonies; who can forget that fateful day
that George Washington's wife was killed by General Burgoyne, and he
painted his face half blue and....and ... wait a minute. :-)

Don't do that. He'll believe you. He believes lots weirder stuff.