Take a look at this Astromart response;

Old December 29th 04, 04:42 AM
ISU WINS!

Only you would get one of these! The rest of us, thank God!,
never see this kind of thing. You lead a charmed life, Rich!

RichA wrote:

I received this today:

Good day to you.I humbly write as directed by a client who is
intersted in purchasing your '' TeleVue Equalizer . However,I will
like to know your last offer,view its picture and to know its present
condition.Also talking of the Shipment to Australia, One of my
Associate will arrange for the shipment.Who resides In canada and she
has agreed to make the payment by
Cashier Cheque.Also understand that the Cheque will surely clear for
the
full payment.Moreover, I want you to do understand better, Below is
the Shipping Address :

Shipping Address:
Del Mar Electronics
# 1037 Melbourne Street ,
NORTH ADELAIDE,
SA 5006 ,
AUSTRALIA.
Fax # {131} 52173204
Tell : +618 8416 0864.But My Phone developed some technical problems,I
believe it will be ok soon.I shall give you a call as soon it ok.I
will like to know more about the Present Condition of it, If it okay,I
will be glad to purchase it from you.Most Important in about the
Picture
of it,Do forward the Picture of to my e-mailbox . However,I will be
glad to view the
picture of it and to know its present condition.Kindly forward to me
the Information inwhich the payment will be made out to you, Asking
below..
Full name that will be written on Cheque.........:::
Full address..{P.o Box Or Residential Address} ............:::
State...............:::
City................:::
Zip Code...........:::
Home,office,cell phone #......:::
Country..............:::

All this information is needed to that the payment can be sent to
you.
I want you to respond to my mail if you are satisfied with the
content
of this letter.You can aswell Fax to me regarding the transaction. Fax
Number...:
{131} 52173204 Extend my greetings to your family.I will await your
Urgent respond.
Thank you and best Regards.

Old December 29th 04, 04:56 AM
RichA

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:23:43 -0700, "Herb York"
wrote:

I do not think that is a response to an AstroMart ad.
IF it was it would have a different form and would include where it came
from - what account etc.

Herb
AstroMart

It's possible the guy got the info from the Canadian sale site, I had
the Equalizer on it as well.
-Rich

news

Old December 29th 04, 01:20 PM
Mark

Rich -

As long as you receive payment and the check clears, what is the
problem?

Mark Pippin

Old December 29th 04, 01:26 PM
Ed T

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rich -

As long as you receive payment and the check clears, what is the
problem?

The check never clears, but sometimes the balance is forwarded before the
buyer discovers this. It works often enough that people keep trying this
scam.

Ed T.

Old December 29th 04, 01:34 PM
RichA

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:26:30 GMT, "Ed T" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
roups.com...
Rich -

As long as you receive payment and the check clears, what is the
problem?

The check never clears, but sometimes the balance is forwarded before the
buyer discovers this. It works often enough that people keep trying this
scam.

Ed T.

Here's confirmation of the fraud. The second email:

Thanks for your mail.I am glad you get back to me in this regard.I am
ok with the price and i want you keep it of market and consider it
sold
to me.
In order to facilitate both payment and shipping arrangements,i will
need your details as requested below...

Full name that will be written on Check.........:::
Full address..{P.o Box Or Residential Address)
}............:::
State...............:::
City................:::
Zip Code...........:::
Home,office,cell phone #......:::
Country..............:::

Once this is received the postal money order for the payment will
be made
out to your name aswell sent,moreover,the money order to be sent will
comprises the shipping funds and i will latter direct you on how the
balance
on the money order will be used for the shipment after you have
received and
cashed the payment.You will be receiving a postal money order of (
$900)As
soon as you have received and cashed the payment,you are to deduct
your
said amount which is ( $80) and the balance of ( $ 820 )is for the
shipment and some other goods which i have already paid for.I have
contacted a shipping company that will handle the shipment effectively
without any delay.
I will await your details and do get back to me as soon as possible
and i sure you every thing will work out fine.

Old December 29th 04, 02:35 PM
Jeff Lowe

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Cool, the fish is hooked! Play a little more line out and get them to send a
bogus check.

--
jeff

Old December 29th 04, 03:26 PM
shneor

I got a response like this from someone calling himself "Carl Britt",
who claimed he lived in Malta and would have an agent in the US send me
a check. I did give him my name and address. Then he sent me some
gobbledygook marked "urgent". There may have been a virus in the
message, but it never got to my PC.

Clear skies,
Shneor Sherman

Old December 29th 04, 03:36 PM
Herb York

Herb
AstroMart

Old December 29th 04, 04:17 PM
Ben Bradley

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:17:33 -0500, "Paul Gustafson"
wrote:

"starlord" wrote in message
I wouldn't trust that deal as far as I could throw my car! Earlyer this
year
I had something like that, where they wanted to buy a JBT kitten from me,
they "Said" they mailed me a cashers check via FedEx, but it never showed
up
and I sent a copy of everything to the FBI office in L.A.

It was a scam.

Here's someone who scams the scammers. Pretty funny reading, she's got a
wicked sense of humor.

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html

Here's another such story:

http://p-p-p-powerbook.com/