Dangers of Global Warming

Old October 13th 15, 09:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default Dangers of Global Warming

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:49:28 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:
On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 11:14:13 PM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter

wrote:

FYI: the world also has other cities than just NYC...

Yes, it's just used as a common example of one of the cities

threatened by a rise
in ocean levels.

There are even entire nations which risk to be drowned if the ocean
lever would rise a meter or two - small Island nations in the Pacific
like Tuvalu and Niue.
Old October 14th 15, 07:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 17:30:13 UTC+2, Uncarollo2 wrote:

In the future would I consider going back to a gasoline car? Never! Ask any Volt owner and to a person they will tell you the same thing. Right now brand new ones are selling for less than $20k at our local dealer. Pretty good deal all around if you ask me.

Much as one admires your enthusiasm for the electric car...

How do we know that its control software hasn't been tampered with to consume far more electricity on the sly? ;ø]]
Old October 14th 15, 09:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 13/10/2015 16:30, Uncarollo2 wrote:
On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 10:12:30 PM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
Since it would take a long time before we have to worry about New York flooding,
other than maybe having tornadoes and hurricanes slightly more often, which could
be just a coincidence, it seemed as if the major noticeable consequences of
global warming would simply be the failure of food crops in tropical countries...

which, sadly, could easily be ignored when we read of it in our newspapers.

However, this news item

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/ar...ate-change.htm

warns that climate change could have more devastating global consequences.

Of course, it is difficult to reduce energy use in the way that is often
advocated as the way to limit carbon emissions. We need a strong economy - and
the kind of industrial capacity that supports adequate military capability to
defend liberty from its many foes.

But, as I've pointed out, that is hardly an insoluble problem. There's such a
thing as nuclear power - and breeding fuel from Uranium-238 and Thorium-232
should give us plenty of time to solve the more difficult problem of fusion power.

John Savard

I do my daily commute to work and back in my Chevy Volt using only electricity.
It consumes a mere 200 watts per mile at a cost of less than 1 cent

per mile.

Units! It cannot do any number of watts/mile. From published figures I
reckon a Tesla typically uses about 400Whr = 1.5MJ per mile eg

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod..._Model_S.shtml

All courtesy of the Com Edison Byron Nuke plant and local windmills.
I get to work just as fast as the guy in the Porsche SUV while he gets
a measly 8mpg in his gas hog.

I fill up every night at my friendly 110 volt plug in my garage and next
morning the "tank" is full again, ready to covey me another 45+ miles.

Which is fine if you never have to drive any real distance.

I have great torque and nothing spews out the tailpipe, there is not
a series of explosions pushing this vehicle forward, just the application
of Maxwell's equations and some magnets doing their work silently and

very efficiently.

There is some quite nasty battery chemistry involved and battery
capacity is not exactly stellar nor is long term life expectancy.

In the future would I consider going back to a gasoline car? Never!
Ask any Volt owner and to a person they will tell you the same thing.
Right now brand new ones are selling for less than $20k at our local

dealer.
Pretty good deal all around if you ask me.

How are they making a profit on them at that price?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 14th 15, 02:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

wrote:

FYI: the world also has other cities than just NYC...

Yes, it's just used as a common example of one of the cities

threatened by a rise
in ocean levels.

There are even entire nations which risk to be drowned if the ocean
lever would rise a meter or two - small Island nations in the Pacific
like Tuvalu and Niue.

There are the Maldives, which has made quite a big deal about sea-level rise. It's really too bad that most of its economy is critically dependent on tourism which inevitably involves cruise ships and air travel, both rather carbon-intensive activities. Can you say "hypocrisy?" I bet you can.
Old October 14th 15, 02:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 3:32:58 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 11:45:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 11:30:13 AM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

I do my daily commute to work and back in my Chevy Volt using only electricity. It consumes a mere 200 watts per mile

Incorrect.

at a cost of less than 1 cent per mile. All courtesy of the Com Edison Byron Nuke plant and local windmills.

*AND* from the coal plants located nearby.

I get to work just as fast as the guy in the Porsche SUV while he gets a measly 8mpg in his gas hog.

Most people don't drive 8-mpg SUVs. Or haven't you noticed?

No coal plants serve this area.

Incorrect. Illinois is full of coal plants.
Old October 14th 15, 02:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 4:18:03 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:

edit

ugharoller isn't really making any particular progress in reducing his CO2 footprint. He continues to fly around and mostly certainly drives beyond the range of a recharging station in his (tax subsidized) 0bamamobile.

He is full of hot air.

Old October 14th 15, 03:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 15:34:18 UTC+2, wrote:

He is full of hot air.

But it is much nicer hot air than your inexhaustible effluvium.
Old October 14th 15, 04:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:17:57 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

How are they making a profit on them at that price?

Well, there are subsidies that help.

The important point, I think, is that these cars represent the future
of personal transportation. They are a great deal more energy
efficient and carbon friendly. But we can't look at them at their
current state of development, we need to look at where the technology
is headed. And that technology development depends on subsidies and
early adopters.

People driving electric vehicles and hybrids are driving the
technology forward. They are helping redefine the norms. It's not so
much about how efficient your car is today, but what things are going
to look like tomorrow.
Old October 14th 15, 04:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 7:29:13 AM UTC-6, wrote:

There are the Maldives, which has made quite a big deal about sea-level rise.
It's really too bad that most of its economy is critically dependent on tourism
which inevitably involves cruise ships and air travel, both rather carbon-
intensive activities. Can you say "hypocrisy?" I bet you can.

They need both the sea level to stay put, and their tourism-dependent economy
to thrive.

For them to conclude, from this, that carbon emissions do *not* contribute to
global warming - is wishful thinking, not integrity. What they need does not
change how the Universe works, so the question of whether or not carbon
emissions will lead to a rise in the sea level can only be answered by a
scientific investigation of the evidence - not by political choices.

They had tourism, no doubt, even back in the 1950s, before anyone noticed a
global warming problem.

Presumably, if cruise ships can't be converted easily to carbon-free energy
sources, there are plenty of other human uses of energy which can. For example,
electrical utilities don't have to burn coal, oil, or natural gas - where
hydroelectricity is not available, nuclear still is.

It's not hypocrisy to note that carbon emissions are a problem, but one has a
need for certain high-priority ones to be allowed. Hospitals will still need to
burn fossil fuels for their emergency generators too.

Maybe converting the utilities will be enough, and we won't even have to switch
to electric cars - which are, at present, inferior, just as CFC-free
refrigerators are inferior.

John Savard
Old October 14th 15, 05:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 1:39:26 AM UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 17:30:13 UTC+2, Uncarollo2 wrote:

In the future would I consider going back to a gasoline car? Never! Ask any Volt owner and to a person they will tell you the same thing. Right now brand new ones are selling for less than $20k at our local dealer. Pretty good deal all around if you ask me.

Much as one admires your enthusiasm for the electric car...

How do we know that its control software hasn't been tampered with to consume far more electricity on the sly? ;ø]]

Well, I know what my electric bill is at the end of the month.

Uncaelectric

More Global Warming ... Hägar Misc 6 December 10th 13 08:54 PM
What global warming? Hagar Misc 0 April 4th 09 05:41 PM
dinosaur extinction/global cooling &human extinction/global warming 281979 Astronomy Misc 0 December 17th 06 01:05 PM
Solar warming v. Global warming Roger Steer Amateur Astronomy 11 October 20th 05 01:23 AM
Global warming v. Solar warming Roger Steer UK Astronomy 1 October 18th 05 10:58 AM