Russian moon landers

Old November 30th 08, 01:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected]

Default Russian moon landers

Sorry to be so off topic. I am interested in finding a video or still
pictures from that video that was taken by an astronaut during a moon
landing. It included a view of a Russian moon lander. The video might
have been the personal property of the astronaut. I hope it is
available somehow for viewing. Do any of you know about it?
Old November 30th 08, 03:53 PM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 30, 6:35*am, wrote:
Sorry to be so off topic. I am interested in finding a video or still
pictures from that video that was taken by an astronaut during a moon
landing. It included a view of a Russian moon lander. The video might
have been the personal property of the astronaut. I hope it is
available somehow for viewing. Do any of you know about it?

No Apollo mission landed near enough to a Russian one to visit:
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...anding_map.jpg

Apollo 15 was as close as they came, and it landed over 100 km from
Luna 2:
http://www.geocities.com/jassdude/apollo15.html (Archimedes is about
80 km in diameter.)

You may be thinking of Apollo 12, which did land near Surveyor 3:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missio...ents/surveyor/
Old November 30th 08, 06:48 PM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
On Nov 30, 6:35 am, wrote:
Sorry to be so off topic. I am interested in finding a video or still
pictures from that video that was taken by an astronaut during a moon
landing. It included a view of a Russian moon lander. The video might
have been the personal property of the astronaut. I hope it is
available somehow for viewing. Do any of you know about it?

Do you mean the Lunar Roving Vehicle? It was used on Apollo 15, 16 and 17.
Other than that, I think you might be on the wrong track; the Apollo program
had no view of the Lunakhod (Soviet) rovers.

Old November 30th 08, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.station
John Szalay

wrote in message

.
.. On Nov 30, 6:35 am, wrote:
Sorry to be so off topic. I am interested in finding a video or still
pictures from that video that was taken by an astronaut during a moon
landing. It included a view of a Russian moon lander. The video might
have been the personal property of the astronaut. I hope it is
available somehow for viewing. Do any of you know about it?

are you, by chance refering to the Apollo 12 mission where they landed
near the Surveyor 3 spacecraft,
which landed on 20 April 1967, and in the background the Apollo 12
lunar module. The lunar module landed about 180 meters from Surveyor,
and on the second moonwalk EVA on 20 November astronauts Conrad and Bean
visited the craft, took pictures and removed some parts for return to
Earth. The sample scoop on a pantograph arm projects to the right, the
cylinder just to the right of the center mast is the camera, and the
solar panels are at the top of the mast. This northwest looking photo
was taken by Alan Bean. The Surveyor 3 spacecraft is about 3 meters from
the ground to the highest point on the solar panels. (Apollo 12, AS12-H-
48-7100)

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/ht...h_48_7100.html

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/hi..._h_48_7100.gif

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/ht...e/EM_Apollo_12
_page1.html
Old December 1st 08, 11:21 AM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 4:35 am, wrote:
Sorry to be so off topic. I am interested in finding a video or still
pictures from that video that was taken by an astronaut during a moon
landing. It included a view of a Russian moon lander. The video might
have been the personal property of the astronaut. I hope it is
available somehow for viewing. Do any of you know about it?

Well, the one that I am thinking of was filmed before the braking
rockets had been fired, while the U.S. vehicle was still moving over
the moon' s surface (the approach to the landing site of the U.S.
vehicle). The U.S. vehicle landed quite a ways from the Russian craft.
The crew never visited the site of the Russian lander. The Russian
craft had done a pinpoint landing in the center of a very interesting
lunar outcropping. The lunar outcropping was almost square at the top
and sloped outwards to the lunar surface. I saw it on T.V. during the
approach to the landing site of the U.S. craft.

I have downloaded a PDF file of Russian Moon landers and it was
probably Luna 18 or Luna 20 that was filmed. I am more interested in
the film of the place where the lander was sitting.
Old December 1st 08, 01:09 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Are you sure you do not mean the US lander they cut bits off. That video was
run quite recently, I recall the sound where one was heard to say, something
like, and there it is...

I thought for a moment you were going to mention the old USSR space junk
dump that James Burke wandered around back many eyars ago containing the
traning mock up of a manned lunar lander.

Brian

Email:

Old December 1st 08, 02:32 PM posted to sci.space.station
Vincent D. DeSimone[_2_]

[...]

If I assume that you are referring to a filming of a Soviet Luna landing
_site_ instead of the landers themselves, both of those landing sites (as
well as several others) were filmed. However, the film camera attached to
the LM window was activated only during the last few minutes prior to
landing because the LM itself was in a windows-up configuration (facing
space) during all but the last couple of minutes of its engine burn. Prior
to the final engine burn, the LM did spent quite a bit of time in a
windows-down orientation, but the camera usually was not operating.

OTOH, there were film cameras in the Command Module of all of the Apollo
lunar flights. Plus, in Apollo's 15-17, the Service Module had a panoramic
camera whose photos were spliced into movies after their flight. I remember
seeing a number of films made of the lunar surface by all of those cameras
and one of them is probably the film you're thinking of.

There are three sources that you can check. Spacecraft Films has excellent
(but pricy) DVD sets of all of the lunar flights, including films of the
lunar surface taken from orbit by Apollo's 8 and 10-17. They are available
at http://www.spacecraftfilms.com.

Another possibility is to check the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal at:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/

which has lots of images and films taken by Apollo's 11-17. Lastly, check
out the Apollo Flight Journals at,

http://history.nasa.gov/ap08fj/

for more information on Apollo's 8, 12, 15, and 16.

BTW, you're right about this being off-topic. Try bookmarking
sci.space.history and sci.space.policy, which are excellent places to visit
and ask questions that are more on-topic.

Good luck!

Old December 2nd 08, 03:22 PM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected]

Thank you very much Vincent. I will buy the DVDs if I have to. I do
remember the narrator mentioning that the Apollo had just turned and
that the camera could film the surface below. Yes it was only a matter
of less than a minute and the actual landing had begun. Thank you
again!
Old December 2nd 08, 05:50 PM posted to sci.space.station
John Szalay

wrote in news:b494a8ce-70cc-4976-88de-167d88a460a6
@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

Sorry to be so off topic. I am interested in finding a video or still
pictures from that video that was taken by an astronaut during a moon
landing. It included a view of a Russian moon lander. The video might
have been the personal property of the astronaut. I hope it is
available somehow for viewing. Do any of you know about it?

are you, by chance refering to the Apollo 12 mission where they landed
near the Surveyor 3 spacecraft, (which had landed on 20 April 1967,)
The lunar module landed about 180 meters from Surveyor,
and on the second moonwalk EVA on 20 November astronauts Conrad and Bean
visited the craft, took pictures and removed some parts for return to
Earth. The sample scoop on a pantograph arm projects to the right, the
cylinder just to the right of the center mast is the camera, and the
solar panels are at the top of the mast. This northwest looking photo
was taken by Alan Bean. The Surveyor 3 spacecraft is about 3 meters from
the ground to the highest point on the solar panels. (Apollo 12, AS12-H-
48-7100)

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/hi..._h_48_7100.gif

And the landing video

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/a12.landing.mov

Old December 3rd 08, 09:06 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 4:35 am, wrote:
[...]

A few years ago I saw a "documentary" about Apollo. During the landing
of one Apollo LM it was said that Houston had concern about a Soviet
moon probe (Zond or Luna) on flight at the same time an area. Then
the we saw a small object crossing the stars and the speaker said
something like "they missed the Apollo craft, it was no danger".

From what I know of satellite or a/c imaging, I`m very sure that
film sequenz was a fake! Except in rendevous condition, you can never
image a space probe with such detail (you realy saw a body of some
simple shape, more like a ICBM reentry vehicle than a satellite - IIRC)
and such low speed against the star background. And you never get such
a good tracking film from a handheld camera like they suggested from
the LM.

Not only this film was fake, the situation was too. There was a Soviet
probe on the way. But there never was any danger of collision. The
only possible concern could be radio com frequency interferences. But
even that I consider remote, because I assume US and SU agreed on
a Luna frequency list well before.

Btw, this bad documentary (hard to find any good one this times) may
be a British production of 3 (?) part telling the story of von Braun
and Korolev as a race for space. I remember some faked shots of
the N-1 to.

I saw images of the Soviet rovers from lunar orbit taken by Apollo CM.
One with some tracks and one with both together at the meeting point.

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##