"The Dish"

Old December 23rd 03, 10:09 AM
Pat Flannery

Default "The Dish"

I finally got to see the movie that everyone has been raving about here
(especially the Aussie contingent of regular posters) as it was just run
on TNT (Turner Network Television) here in the states...you guys were
right; that is a really great movie- they must have built that Parkes
dish like a brick ****house if it was able to move in winds of that
speed- I went out in winds that high during a storm here back when I was
working at our local airport, and almost got blown off my feet... has
anyone figured out the total amount of force that thing withstood during
the tracking of the landing?
Great work, Australia...really, really, great work...

Pat

Old December 23rd 03, 10:47 AM
Dave Downing

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 03:09:52 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

I finally got to see the movie that everyone has been raving about here
(especially the Aussie contingent of regular posters) as it was just run
on TNT (Turner Network Television) here in the states...you guys were
right; that is a really great movie- they must have built that Parkes
dish like a brick ****house if it was able to move in winds of that
speed- I went out in winds that high during a storm here back when I was
working at our local airport, and almost got blown off my feet... has
anyone figured out the total amount of force that thing withstood during
the tracking of the landing?
Great work, Australia...really, really, great work...

Pat

In that case Pat, you should try to get your hands on the DVD. There is
much more than just the usual "didn't we have a great time shooting this
movie" type of cast and crew interviews for the bonus material. We are
treated to archival footage of the Apollo program, JFK's Rice University
speech in full and even interviews showing the technicians while they are
assembling the space suits. Plenty of space history. Enjoy!

--
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
| Dave Downing, Somerset U.K. |

Old December 23rd 03, 03:10 PM
Hop David

Dave Downing wrote:
[...]

I missed earlier posts on this. The name of the movie is "The Dish"?
It's a story based on space history?

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old December 23rd 03, 04:17 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Hop David" wrote in message

I missed earlier posts on this. The name of the movie is "The Dish"?
It's a story based on space history?

Yes. Specifically it's a fictionalized account of the activities at the
radio dish in Australia that received the first images of Neil on the Moon.

(and being in Australia explains why the first images of Neil are upside
down. :-)

Old December 23rd 03, 07:08 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Greg D. Moore
(Strider) wrote:

"Hop David" wrote in message

I missed earlier posts on this. The name of the movie is "The Dish"?
It's a story based on space history?

Yes. Specifically it's a fictionalized account of the activities at the
radio dish in Australia that received the first images of Neil on the Moon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B00005MKKS/

Certainly worth searching out.

"You've got to tell them!"
"That we just lost Apollo?"
"Oh, I wouldn't say that first."
"What would you say first?"
"'Hey, you'll *never* guess what just happened...'"

--
-Andrew Gray

Old December 23rd 03, 07:24 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Dave Downing
writes
[...]

To be honest, that still sounds like "shovelware" - something cheap put
on the disk to fill all that space. Is there anything really relevant to
Parkes?
But Parkes isn't the only dish to be very solid. I've heard that one
reason Jodrell Bank's famous dish is still going strong is that it was
very solidly made, with bearings from battleship guns and so on.
Of course they didn't know much about building 250 foot steerable
antennas, which all added to the cost. And more lightly built dishes
have been known to collapse!
I must admit Parkes big dish is prettier :-)
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 24th 03, 01:22 AM
Andrew Gray

In article , Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

But Parkes isn't the only dish to be very solid. I've heard that one
reason Jodrell Bank's famous dish is still going strong is that it was
very solidly made, with bearings from battleship guns and so on.

The main drive, or at least one of them, was taken from a turret drive
from, IIRC, /Royal Sovereign/ when she was scrapped. Cheap and sensible
- you don't get much more robustly built than that...

(The cynic in me suggests that a radio telescope is also, well, harder
to break than an optical one...)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old December 24th 03, 04:46 AM
Rick DeNatale

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:17:32 +0000, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Yes. Specifically it's a fictionalized account of the activities at the

radio dish in Australia that received the first images of Neil on the Moon.

For the "historically accurate" account of Parkes observatory's role in
Apollo 11 see http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/apollo11/

(and being in Australia explains why the first images of Neil are upside
down. :-)

Nice joke, but in reality, the initial feed was alternating from the
statins in Goldstone California and Honeysuckle Australia, both of which
had neglected to correctly set the switch on their scan converters which
would flip the image vertically, which was necessary because the camera
was mounted upside down in the MESA. The image needed to be flipped again
when Armstrong took the camera out and mounted it on a tripod on the lunar
surface.

The Parkes feed wasn't used until about nine minutes after the TV camera
was switched on when it was realized that they had by far the best signal
of the three ground stations receiving the transmission. Had Parkes been
used from the beginning, we would never have seen the upside down image
since they had the inversion switch correctly set.
Old December 24th 03, 10:23 AM
Pat Flannery

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

But Parkes isn't the only dish to be very solid. I've heard that one
reason Jodrell Bank's famous dish is still going strong is that it was
very solidly made, with bearings from battleship guns and so on.
Of course they didn't know much about building 250 foot steerable
antennas, which all added to the cost. And more lightly built dishes
have been known to collapse!
I must admit Parkes big dish is prettier :-)

It has that very interesting and solid-looking brick building as its
base...which looks strange, as if it had been built on something left
over from the 1800's...a Martello Tower to house a heavy gun to repel
Napoleon's expected invasion of Australia perhaps?

Pat

Old December 25th 03, 02:25 AM
David Lesher

Rick DeNatale writes:

Nice joke, but in reality, the initial feed was alternating from the
statins in Goldstone California and Honeysuckle Australia, both of which
had neglected to correctly set the switch on their scan converters which
would flip the image vertically, which was necessary because the camera
was mounted upside down in the MESA. The image needed to be flipped again
when Armstrong took the camera out and mounted it on a tripod on the lunar
surface.

Don Kimberlin wrote up a nice article on the problems of getting that
signal back to Houston...theer not being as much transpacific bandwidth
then as now..... and THEN getting the final product back out to viewers
across both oceans.

Query:

What was the first recovery to have live video from the carrier?
The first to have video from the chopper?

--
A host is a host from coast to

What's slowing down the two Voyagers? Abdul Ahad Policy 91 July 12th 04 06:38 PM
Optimum Microwave Frequencies Alex Terrell Policy 6 July 12th 04 01:16 AM
How far to beam power up a Beanstalk? Earl Colby Pottinger Policy 10 June 24th 04 07:08 AM
The Dish Mike Rhino Policy 5 December 25th 03 04:37 AM
Spotlight: Lending an Improved Ear Ron Baalke Technology 0 September 9th 03 12:21 AM