ASTRO: Comet Holmes a few hours later

Old October 25th 07, 04:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Comet Holmes a few hours later

I'm about to leave town and only had time to process it in black and
white before I go. This guy is evolving FAST. His image is about 4
hours after my previous one. I went to 1x1 binning and 2" exposures
hoping for more detail.

Note the nucleus is off center one way but the ring around it is off
center the other way. This is weird to say the least.

10x2" at 0.5" per pixel

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLMES_LUM10X2SEC_1X1BIN.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1367
Old October 25th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I see when I converted to JPEG most of the faint stuff outer coma got
lost in the compression routine. I should have looked at it before
sending it. I enhanced the fainter part so it now survives the JPEG
routine to look the same intensity as the TIFF does unenhanced. Never
saw that before. The original post was a linear stretch of the data, no
histogram alterations to better show the visual appearance.

Rick

Rick Johnson wrote:
I'm about to leave town and only had time to process it in black and
white before I go. This guy is evolving FAST. His image is about 4
hours after my previous one. I went to 1x1 binning and 2" exposures
hoping for more detail.

Note the nucleus is off center one way but the ring around it is off
center the other way. This is weird to say the least.

10x2" at 0.5" per pixel

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLMES_LUM10X2SEC_1X1BINR2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1368
Old October 25th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

"Rick Johnson" schreef in bericht
I see when I converted to JPEG most of the faint stuff outer coma got
lost in the compression routine. I should have looked at it before
sending it. I enhanced the fainter part so it now survives the JPEG
routine to look the same intensity as the TIFF does unenhanced. Never
saw that before. The original post was a linear stretch of the data, no
histogram alterations to better show the visual appearance.

Rick

that's is an good image of a very interesting object! I hope the clouds
clear soon in the netherlands, so I can try to image it as well!
--
Martijn
www.xs4all.nl/~martlian

Old October 28th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
..... This guy is evolving FAST......

It sure is Rick!! I could notice a difference (larger, brighter) in just
3 hours last night while observing with my 20x80's.

This Comet may result in more images in a.b.p.a than Hale-Bopp did!!

George N

ASTRO: Comet Holmes Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 2 October 28th 07 10:23 AM
Comet Holmes - File 1 of 1 - Holmes.jpg (1/1) Skywise Astro Pictures 3 October 26th 07 05:25 AM
Comet Holmes Skywise Astro Pictures 1 October 25th 07 07:34 AM
Comet Holmes Skywise Astro Pictures 0 October 25th 07 07:31 AM
ASTRO: Stokes Parameter Polarization Difference Image os Comet 17 / P Holmes Richard Crisp[_1_] Astro Pictures 0 October 25th 07 07:07 AM