Moon-Earth Question - Apollo Moon Mission

Old September 27th 03, 11:36 PM
Phil

Default Moon-Earth Question - Apollo Moon Mission

Greetings to all...

When the first moon landing accurred in July, 1969, and the astronauts
looked back towards Earth, what continents did they see?

Thanks in advance!

--
Phil
Old September 28th 03, 09:51 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Phil
writes
Greetings to all...

When the first moon landing accurred in July, 1969, and the astronauts
looked back towards Earth, what continents did they see?

You asked this question in alt.astronomy and I know you read the
replies. Didn't you trust them?
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 28th 03, 02:39 PM
Phil

Hello Jonathan ....

Of course! It was also suggested to post an inquiry in this newgroup.

Old September 28th 03, 03:36 PM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
Phil on Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:39:56 GMT,
which said:

Hello Jonathan ....

Of course! It was also suggested to post an inquiry in this newgroup.

You asked this question in alt.astronomy and I know you read the
replies. Didn't you trust them?

It does seem a more appropriate group. Besides, it's really none of
our business if you didn't trust the answers from there.

IIRC, there really wasn't very much about the earth that was
distinguishable from the moon.

I'm right now looking at a 16 x 20 laserprint of "Earthrise," taken
from lunar orbit. The earth's image is ~5" diameter, solid blue, and
heavily obscured by cloud patterns; perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of the planet's
"surface" is visible. In the upper right quadrant is a large patch of
brown, the only apparent land. The shoreline contours and apparent
isolation make it seem like it could be Australia. If it is, though,
then either Africa or Antarctica, perhaps both, have disappeared.
OTOH, since there's no other land visible, I'm hard-pressed to think
it could be anything else but Australia.

-------------
Beady's 11th Law of Social Harmonics: "Your spouse is precisely the kind of person someone like you would choose to marry."
Old September 28th 03, 09:07 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , John
Beaderstadt writes
which said:

Hello Jonathan ....

Of course! It was also suggested to post an inquiry in this newgroup.

You asked this question in alt.astronomy and I know you read the
replies. Didn't you trust them?

It does seem a more appropriate group. Besides, it's really none of
our business if you didn't trust the answers from there.

IIRC, there really wasn't very much about the earth that was
distinguishable from the moon.

I think I was a bit tetchy this morning. Apologies to Phil and others.
But I'm not convinced you can see much of the continents from the Moon
(let alone the Great Wall of China :-) There's just too much cloud over
most of the Earth. There may well be descriptions in the Apollo Lunar
Surface Journals and elsewhere to prove me wrong, though.
Old September 28th 03, 10:00 PM
Stuf4

From John Beaderstadt:
which said:

Hello Jonathan ....

Of course! It was also suggested to post an inquiry in this newgroup.

You asked this question in alt.astronomy and I know you read the
replies. Didn't you trust them?

It does seem a more appropriate group. Besides, it's really none of
our business if you didn't trust the answers from there.

IIRC, there really wasn't very much about the earth that was
distinguishable from the moon.

Q: "When the first moon landing accurred in July, 1969, and the
astronauts looked back towards Earth, what continents did they see?"

An interesting point made in the astronomy forum is how high in the
lunar "sky" the Earth was. For an astronaut standing at the North or
South Pole of the Moon (+/-90degLat) the Earth is found right on the
horizon. But standing at the lunar equator at 0-Lat/0-Long, the Earth
is found straight overhead. With Tranquility Base at 1degN/23degE,
Neil and Buzz had to get their eyeballs angled ~66deg upward to see
anything of the Big Blue Marble.

The point that might get missed by the astronomy forum is how
difficult it can be to look up that high when helmeted in a
restrictive spacesuit.

Also, as stated by someone in that forum:

"In the lunar sky Earth was at an altitude of about 60 degrees due
west at the instant Armstrong set foot on the Moon."

That's ~10% worth of "fudge factor" (by the simple calculation I
cranked out).

Repost:
You asked this question in alt.astronomy and I know you read the
replies. Didn't you trust them?

So Phil might be tempted to respond with that classic oxymoronic
phrase popularized by Ronald Reagan:

"Trust, but verify"!

*

As an aside, it would be great to take this ALSJ table of landing site
coordinates:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/alsjcoords.html

....and add a column to list how high the Earth was in the lunar sky.

*

And this thread is a great place to retell Gene Cernan's story about
this photo from Apollo 17 capturing Jack Schmitt, the US flag, and the
Earth high up in the lunar sky:

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/history/...ges/721200.GIF

The way I remember Cernan relating the story, the Earth was too high
up to capture it all while holding his camera in any normal way, so he
held the camera between his knees and clicked this amazing shot.
Cernan can be seen by looking closely at the reflection in Jack's
visor. With a higher resolution scan of this photo we could zoom in
for a better look.

But the basic point is that it was a steep angle up, and 17 had the
lowest angle of all six landing sites.

~ CT
Old September 29th 03, 01:55 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Phil" wrote in message
Greetings to all...

When the first moon landing accurred in July, 1969, and the astronauts
looked back towards Earth, what continents did they see?

Well, not really sure if they could see them, but given that when Neil
walked on the Moon, the signal was received by the antenna at Honeysuckle
Creek AU. That was about 2.5 hours after landing as I recall, so you can
figure from there....

Thanks in advance!

--
Phil

Old September 29th 03, 11:25 AM
Peter Smith

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote...

Well, not really sure if they could see them, but given
that when Neil walked on the Moon, the signal was received
by the antenna at Honeysuckle Creek AU. That was about
2.5 hours after landing as I recall, so you can figure
from there....

And the Honeysuckle antenna was *just* at its acquisition angle of about
12deg. So eastern Australia was just rotating into view - the Pacific
would have been the major feature. Also it was July and the moon was about
side-on to the earth wrt the sun, and from memory it was about 10am in
Sydney so the Americas would have been in darkness. The (what do you call
the line between night and day?) would have been in the eastern pacific, or
maybe the western continental US. Although it was the northern summer,
there would have been little tilt visible to see the polar regions because
the earth was 'side-on'.

With this reasoning, the prominent feature would have been the Pacific with
Australia visible to the left. What was 'visible' of the americas (Alaska
and north east USA) was in darkness. Hawaii was in full view, but I'm sure
would be difficult to visualise from so far.)

- Peter

Old September 30th 03, 01:41 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Peter
Smith wrote:

And the Honeysuckle antenna was *just* at its acquisition angle of about
12deg. So eastern Australia was just rotating into view - the Pacific
would have been the major feature. Also it was July and the moon was about
side-on to the earth wrt the sun, and from memory it was about 10am in
Sydney so the Americas would have been in darkness. The (what do you call
the line between night and day?) would have been in the eastern pacific, or
maybe the western continental US.

Terminator line. It's bit less of a sharp line on Earth, what with the
atmosphere and all, but you can still see an interesting diagonal slant
through the sky from high-altitude flights at the right time :-)

With this reasoning, the prominent feature would have been the Pacific with
Australia visible to the left. What was 'visible' of the americas (Alaska
and north east USA) was in darkness. Hawaii was in full view, but I'm sure
would be difficult to visualise from so far.)

Of course, if someone has access to a photograph archive, I'm sure there
was at least one of the Earth taken during the EVA...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 30th 03, 02:04 PM
Jay Windley

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..

| Of course, if someone has access to a photograph archive, I'm sure there
| was at least one of the Earth taken during the EVA...

Two good ones, but too many clouds for me to identify continents.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org