NASA Astronaut Breaks US Space Endurance Record

Old December 11th 03, 05:53 AM
Pat Flannery

Default NASA Astronaut Breaks US Space Endurance Record

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Heh. I'd forgotten that thread, and I'll bet most of the regulars would
have as well if you hadn't brought it up. But what the hey? We've rehashed
the rail gauge argument, the Nazi slave labor argument, the Civil War
argument, the Indian Genocide argument, and lord knows how many others
recently... why *not* this one? Shoot, let's bring back "Moon Hoax", "Lost
Cosmonauts", "Mr. Gorsky", and "Alternate-timeline Apollo Crew Rotations"
while we're at it...

Don't forget the evacuation procedures from the Sperry Ball Turret....

Pat

Old December 11th 03, 06:10 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Heh. I'd forgotten that thread, and I'll bet most of the regulars
would have as well if you hadn't brought it up. But what the hey?
We've rehashed the rail gauge argument, the Nazi slave labor argument,
the Civil War argument, the Indian Genocide argument, and lord knows
how many others recently... why *not* this one? Shoot, let's bring
back "Moon Hoax", "Lost Cosmonauts", "Mr. Gorsky", and
"Alternate-timeline Apollo Crew Rotations" while we're at it...

Don't forget the evacuation procedures from the Sperry Ball Turret....

Exactly! A Night of the Undead Threads.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 11th 03, 02:10 PM
Mike Flugennock

In article , "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

Rick DeNatale wrote in
news
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:34:27 +0000, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in
:

"Ron Baalke" wrote in message
NASA astronaut Michael Foale

is the new
U.S. space endurance record holder

I thought he was a British citizen?

Foale has dual citizenship.

OH GOD, don't start that argument again!!!!

Heh. I'd forgotten that thread, and I'll bet most of the regulars would
have as well if you hadn't brought it up. But what the hey? We've rehashed
the rail gauge argument, the Nazi slave labor argument, the Civil War
argument, the Indian Genocide argument, and lord knows how many others
recently... why *not* this one? Shoot, let's bring back "Moon Hoax", "Lost
Cosmonauts", "Mr. Gorsky", and "Alternate-timeline Apollo Crew Rotations"
while we're at it... vbg

But, seriously, folks; I've always been intrigued by the
alternate-timeline Apollo scenarios I've seen here where the 204 fire
doesn't happen, and Apollo 1 flies as planned with the Grissom crew in the
Block I CM. All I can see in _this_ one is even-greater tragedy as the
O2/fire hazard issue isn't discovered until a mission is actually
in-flight; horrible as it sounds, the "best" case I can come up with is
the "real" one, in which the A1 crew dies in the pad fire and, as I've
heard one interviewed engineer say, "buys time" for the designers to deal
with that issue before Apollo actually flew. The only alternate Apollo
timeline in which the A1 crew lives to fly their mission that _I_ can
think of, that _doesn't_ involve a horrid in-flight conflagaration later
on, is if -- in some preliminary unmanned test -- the problem surfaces,
the flash fire guts an empty CM, the usual investigation ensues, the
problem is corrected, and Gus' crew flies A1 in a Block II CM.

--
"All over, people changing their roles,
along with their overcoats;
Old December 12th 03, 04:20 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Mike Flugennock wrote:
...All I can see in _this_ one is even-greater tragedy as the
O2/fire hazard issue isn't discovered until a mission is actually
in-flight...

Except that there is no major fire-hazard issue in flight, at 5psi. It's
only on the pad, at 15psi+, that pure oxygen is really nasty.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |