Canon EOS 300D, Rebel, CF Repair, Covington

Old January 20th 05, 11:19 PM
W. Wat son

Default Canon EOS 300D, Rebel, CF Repair, Covington

Thought I'd throw this into the thread while the link is still fresh in my
"Copy". Came across Covington's astronomy page on the digital EOS.
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/EOS300Dastro.html.

I accidentally erased my CF and a discussion of how to recover was taken up
in the thread titled " Battery Drain on Canon EOS Digital Rebel". I tried a
trial version of PhotoRescue suggested there, and reported on it as a
somewhat obscure part of that thread. The net of the trial is that it did
recover the images, but if I really wanted them, I would have to pay $29.95
for the software. I expressed some dismay at that approach to marketing,
but see others have a similar policy. I mused about why Canon and other
camera mfgers didn't provide it. More grumping below in the second to last
paragraph. Ah, the pentultimate paragraph. :-)

I thought I'd give Lexar, the CF mfger, a call. And found two things: They
have a software product called Image Restore for $29.95 (phone contact) and
they also have the same product for free (got this from an e-mail I sent
them). Interesting marketing. From the descriptions, I don't see any
difference. Here's the link to the free version
http://outbox.lexarmedia.com/son-download042107/PcIR2.0.zip. It's 8Meg.
It does work. Maybe it's better on Lexar cards. I have no idea. I suggest
reading the pdf that comes with it. See the Start Menu for Lexar. Also see
what the pdf has to say about removing the CF and turning off the reader.
Look at the Preference under File. You may want to uncheck thumbnail. If
you don't you get thumbnails.

Well, it just finished my second attempt (without the thumbnail checked),
and looks like it delivered the goods. I don't think it restored the images
on the CF, but they are certainly on my HD.

Start of grumpa-grumpa.
It seems there's a lot of emphasis by mfgers to provide minimal manuals. I
guess that's good for writers. Some of the software I've seen of late,
actually for some time, looks like they really never considered the public
might want to use it.
End of grumpa-grumpa.

Well, now I can put the CF back in the camera, and try some solar pictures
while the sun is still up. A very unusual event here in Calif.

Most vehicle/deer accidents occur at sunset.
Vehicle deer whistles are ineffective.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Old January 21st 05, 04:43 PM
W. Wat son

Pierre Vandevennne wrote:

"W. Wat son" wrote in
nk.net:

Thought I'd throw this into the thread while the link is still fresh
the trial is that it did recover the images, but if I really wanted
them, I would have to pay $29.95 for the software. I expressed some
dismay at that approach to marketing, but see others have a similar
policy.

Yeah, sure, I tried to contact Meade so they could lend me a RC for the
comet, but they didn't :-)

Well, we tried the free trial approach and it just doesn't work. People
recover their pics and never ever buy. Didn't prevent them from asking
for support. In easy cases, most software will work. In difficult cases,
we will almost always recover more (I'd hate to say always, but I am not
aware of any standardized comparison we lost)

It should be noted that unlike some of our competitors, we do guarantee
our preview 100% -
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescu...thumbnails.htm

anyway, since our market is 80% professional photographers, $30 is really
nothing to them if it saves the bride...

I mused about why Canon and other camera mfgers didn't provide
it.

Some do. They licensed it. But they don't advertise it much because they
don't want to imply that their camera could lose pictures.

They have a software product called Image Restore for $29.95 (phone
contact) and they also have the same product for free (got this from
an e-mail I sent them). Interesting marketing. From the descriptions,
I don't see any difference. Here's the link to the free version
http://outbox.lexarmedia.com/son-download042107/PcIR2.0.zip. It's

If you have a Lexar card, that is again normal. They provide the software
for free with some of their cards.

8Meg. It does work. Maybe it's better on Lexar cards. I have no idea.

Nope. The only difference comes when some cards have specific problems
and the manufacturer is able to reflash the firmware.

In any case, the biggest factor in card reliability is its build quality

http://www.datarescue.com/laboratory...pare/index.htm

Well, it just finished my second attempt (without the thumbnail
checked), and looks like it delivered the goods. I don't think it
restored the images on the CF, but they are certainly on my HD.

Check that _all_ the images displayed as thumbnails are valid full size.
From the description of your initial problem (a simple user error) they
should be, but you never know.

Restoring on the CF is never a good idea as it would obviously overwrite
the data on the card itself.

(OK, last post on this topic from me, I don't want to be accused of
hyping - if anyone has questions/comments, they are welcome to mail me
directly)

Hi, I must say I liked your interface better, and at some point will likely
buy it. $30 is a good price. However, since this was my very first series
of shots with the camera, I started to wonder how many times am I going to
bungle the download as I did? Just an innocent mistake in that I had
downloaded about the first 7 images before, and was going to download the
whole bunch when I goofed. The Canon s/w was showing only the first seven,
and I confused them with what I already had on disk. Bingo! Wrong ones. I
have a feeling I'll do it again some time. :-) C'est la vie.

Old January 21st 05, 07:51 PM
John Shakespeare

Hi W. Wat son,

FYI recovery software is bundled with some devices, such as card
readers. One of our card readers (costing less than €30) came with
SanDisk RescuePro. It has not yet been used, so I can't comment on its
effectiveness.

Best Regards,
John.

W. Wat son wrote:
[...]

Tile and RCC repair for return to flight Jim Kingdon Space Station 2 October 29th 04 05:10 AM
It's like the CAR business! rander3127 Amateur Astronomy 2 October 15th 04 07:18 AM
Canon 300D Szaki Amateur Astronomy 10 April 20th 04 03:28 AM
Canon 300D Rebel deepsky images from fixed tripod Maurice Gavin UK Astronomy 2 November 26th 03 04:37 PM
Canon EOS Rebel Digital Tdcarls Amateur Astronomy 9 September 22nd 03 07:58 PM