Our Solar System's Parent Nebula

Old June 14th 10, 09:43 AM posted to sci.astro
calcmandan

Default Our Solar System's Parent Nebula

Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?
Old June 14th 10, 10:02 AM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_32_]

"calcmandan" wrote in message
| Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?

Yes. They named it after a chocolate bar.
http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/.../milkyway1.jpg

Old June 14th 10, 06:59 PM posted to sci.astro
Igor

On Jun 14, 4:43*am, calcmandan wrote:
Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?

To the best of my knowledge, they haven't. It's very difficult to pin
down. And ignore that troll that calls himself Androcles. He's only
trying to start trouble.

Old June 14th 10, 08:04 PM posted to sci.astro
calcmandan

I find it surprising. I read somewhere that the they've uncovered
evidence that our system is moving through a nebula as we speak. I
understand the gases are quite diffuse and, so, not really that
visible until you're light years away. Could it be possible that
we're still in the nebula?

Old June 15th 10, 12:29 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 6/14/2010 2:43 PM, calcmandan wrote:
Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?

So far as I know, they haven't, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did
eventually find it. We got a lot of high-powered equipment up there in
space and down here on Earth as well. There's so much telescope capacity
these days that I'm sure someone will find it randomly. It's going to be
big news when it is (at least for astronomy), so you'll hear about it.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 15th 10, 12:33 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 6/15/2010 1:04 AM, calcmandan wrote:
I find it surprising. I read somewhere that the they've uncovered
evidence that our system is moving through a nebula as we speak. I
understand the gases are quite diffuse and, so, not really that
visible until you're light years away. Could it be possible that
we're still in the nebula?

No, there would be certain spectral clues that would indicate that it's
related to our solar system. This is just a random cloud that we're
going through right now. The Sun is 4.6 billion years old, that's an old
man by comparison with most of the stars in the galaxy now, even though
that's only middle age for the Sun itself. Such an old star is not
likely going to still be inside its birthing nebula.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 15th 10, 05:33 PM posted to sci.astro
Igor

On Jun 14, 3:04*pm, calcmandan wrote:
I find it surprising. *I read somewhere that the they've uncovered
evidence that our system is moving through a nebula as we speak. *I
understand the gases are quite diffuse and, so, not really that
visible until you're light years away. *Could it be possible that
we're still in the nebula?

Unlikely after 5 billion or so years, but who knows?

Old June 18th 10, 10:05 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
So far as I know, they haven't, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did

It would surprise me. A lot. The Sun is about 4.6 Gyr old, and the
lifetime of a molecular cloud is no more than a few tens of million
years.

Even if the solar system's original molecular cloud somehow managed
to survive, how would anyone recognize it as such?

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old June 19th 10, 12:34 AM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jun 14, 10:59*am, Igor wrote:

On Jun 14, 4:43*am, calcmandan wrote:

Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?

To the best of my knowledge, they haven't. *It's very difficult to pin
down. *And ignore that troll that calls himself Androcles. *He's only
trying to start trouble.

The 12.5e6 Ms as a relatively nearby molecular cloud that created the
vibrant Sirius(ABC) star/solar system, was certainly bad enough as of
300 million BP. However, when Sirius(B) did its helium flashover
(roughly 65 million BP), it subsequently blew whatever was left of our
nebula away, as well as almost blew us away. Subsequently life on
Earth took a serious nosedive, and by rights it could happen again
with Sirius(B) pulling hydrogen away from Sirius(A)..

~ BG
Old June 23rd 10, 07:52 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

On 6/19/2010 3:05 AM, Steve Willner wrote:
Have astronomers identified the nebula that spawned our solar system?

In ,
Yousuf writes:
So far as I know, they haven't, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did

It would surprise me. A lot. The Sun is about 4.6 Gyr old, and the
lifetime of a molecular cloud is no more than a few tens of million
years.

Even if the solar system's original molecular cloud somehow managed
to survive, how would anyone recognize it as such?

Well, the entire cloud doesn't get used up in star formation, so it
might be possible that part of that original cloud is still out there
spawning some new stars. We might be able to match the chemical
signature of a newly hatched star with the chemical signature of some of
our oldest meteors/comets/asteroids.

How do we know molecular clouds only last 10's of millions of years? The
clouds certainly get blown around by their nascent stars, but doesn't
the blown away portions get back together again to form new stars later?

Yousuf Khan