The perpetual calendar

Old February 27th 10, 10:49 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Androcles[_27_]

Default The perpetual calendar

"Robert Lieblich" wrote in message
"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

On Feb 27, 12:14 pm, Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
the Omrud writes:
On 26/02/2010 14:01, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Feb 25, 1:50 pm, "Peter Duncanson
wrote:

The next project should be to challenge the use of religious place
names
such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Bernadino and various other
places with San, Santa, Saint and St. in their names.

Nuclear submarines are named for cities.

*American* nuclear submarines are named after cities.

And only one class of them (_Los Angeles_-class). And one of them
(USS Hyman G. Rickover) isn't.

What does either of your's nitpicking have to do with the point? Were
you really unable to supply the quantifier "some" in front of my
statement, if you felt it was incomprehensible or inaccurate as it
stood?

Coming in late and possibly missing the point, I nevertheless offer
the following: First, the US Navy (by whom I am employed)[1], is no
longer consistent in either the naming or numbering of its ships. For
many years submarines were numbered in continuous sequence, but about
20 years ago the developers of what became the SEAWOLF decided that it
would be the American sub of the 21st century and arranged to have it
numbered SSN-21. Only three ships of the class were built (I didn't
say "have been"; there won't be any more). SSN-22 is USS CONNECTICUT.
SSN-23 is USS JIMMY CARTER. Some pattern! The new "mass-production"
class (we've stepped up to two per year) is named for states and
reverts to the continuous numnbering. USS VIRGINIA, SSN-774, is the
lead ship.

In the course of construction of the LOS ANGELES class, the Navy
thought to name a sub after Corpus Christi, a small Texas city where
there has been a naval presence for many years. Objections arose from
all over at the thought of naming a warship for the body of (as many
call him) Christ. The city fathers asked if the Navy might instead
name the ship CITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI." The Navy agreed, and that's
the name of the ship.

Thus do we make halting progress.

[1] I almost said I "work for" the Navy, but Chick Riggs, for one,
knows better.

--
Bob Lieblich

You want progress?

HMS Victory remains a commissioned ship of the Royal Navy and the Flag Ship
of the Second Sea Lord & Commander in Chief Naval Home Command. Due to
service commitments, there are occasions when Victory will be closed to the
public for all or part of the day.
HMS Victory stands today as the world's oldest commissioned warship. Still
manned by Officers and Ratings of the Royal Navy, the Victory has seen over
225 years of almost continuous naval service.
http://www.hnsa.org/ships/img/victory1.jpg

Old February 27th 10, 11:07 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Robert Bannister

Jerry Friedman wrote:
On Feb 26, 5:31 pm, Robert Bannister wrote:
Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
Robert Bannister writes:
António Marques wrote:
It's not what you think. Either the Church's message is universal
and Christ did found one Church, or it isn't.
Now there's a new one: the first I've heard that Jesus founded or even
wanted a church.
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock
I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail
against it. [Matt. 16:18, KJV]

As I said in another post, what word is used for "church" and what did
it mean at the time? I somehow doubt it meant bricks and mortar and
costly raiment.

I don't understand statements such as "Christ founded one Church," but
I'm pretty sure it's not about bricks or mortar or ever gargoyles.

--
Jerry Friedman

Although the "gates of hell" bit takes the reader straight back to
buildings and possibly even gargoyles. I have difficulties anyway in
understanding the image of gates prevailing.

--

Rob Bannister
Old February 27th 10, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
the Omrud

wrote:

The next project should be to challenge the use of religious place names
such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Bernadino and various other
places with San, Santa, Saint and St. in their names.

Nuclear submarines are named for cities.

*American* nuclear submarines are named after cities.

And only one class of them (_Los Angeles_-class). And one of them
(USS Hyman G. Rickover) isn't.

What does either of your's nitpicking have to do with the point?

Nothing whatsoever.

Were
you really unable to supply the quantifier "some" in front of my
statement, if you felt it was incomprehensible or inaccurate as it
stood?

It's a long-standing irritation of non-Americans on Usenet that some
Americans on Usenet seem to think that Usenet is populated by Americans.

--
David

Old February 27th 10, 11:21 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
musika

In ,
Robert Lieblich typed:

[Snip]

[1] I almost said I "work for" the Navy, but Chick Riggs, for one,
knows better.

Any relation to Chick Ruggs?

--
Ray
UK

Old February 27th 10, 11:22 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Androcles[_27_]

m...
wrote:

[...]

Not just Americans, but bible-belt bigot Americans that post nothing
about a perpetual calendar to sci.astro.

Old February 27th 10, 11:24 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Androcles[_27_]

"musika" wrote in message
om...
In ,
Robert Lieblich typed:

[Snip]

Glad to be of service. Any other spam I can snip for you?

Old February 27th 10, 11:39 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Robert Bannister

jmfbahciv wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Dunno about the rest of the world, but in the US court-ordered busing
has most kids riding the bus to school anyway, so what difference
does it make?

They have to walk to and from the place where the bus stops and often
have to wait.

They still have to do that in the dark no matter which leaps we make
the clocks go.

/BAH

But not for so much of the year. That's what bugs me personally about
the the change: I am a morning person; I get up at 5:30 and try to
arrive at the gym before 6:15. I know that for quite a few months of the
year, I will have to do this in the dark, but it is so refreshing when
(without daylight saving) we get those few months of light, plus at that
time of the morning, it's usually still pleasantly cool before the
thermometer goes soaring up. I'm sure light has a beneficial effect on
children too, but that sitting in a school bus in the afternoon during
the hottest part of the day is not a good thing.

--

Rob Bannister
Old February 27th 10, 11:41 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Robert Bannister

Brian M. Scott wrote:
On 23 Feb 2010 17:41:22 -0800, R H Draney
wrote in
in
sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage. english:

Robert Bannister filted:

The eternal rift between morning and evening people. I
get very ratty when politicians force me to get up in
the dark more often than need be, whereas I think
dinner is best eaten when it is dark outside.

Quite right...I had breakfast yesterday at noon, and
dinner at midnight....r

That sounds about right, though my dinner might well be
later than that.

This reminds me of difficulties I had in reading some Russian novels:
"breakfast" was 2-4 pm, supper at midnight and dinner in the early hours
of the morning.

--

Rob Bannister
Old February 27th 10, 11:57 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Brian M. Scott

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 07:39:18 +0800, Robert Bannister
wrote in
in
sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage. english:

[...]

But not for so much of the year. That's what bugs me
personally about the the change: I am a morning person;
I get up at 5:30 and try to arrive at the gym before
6:15. I know that for quite a few months of the year, I
will have to do this in the dark, but it is so refreshing
when (without daylight saving) we get those few months
of light, plus at that time of the morning, it's usually
still pleasantly cool before the thermometer goes
soaring up. [...]

That may be another point of contention: pleasantly cool
means about 25º, and really good weather starts at about
30º. And 5:30 or 6:15 is a nice time to go to bed.

Brian
Old February 28th 10, 12:10 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Cheryl

Robert Bannister wrote:
Hatunen wrote:

There is no governmetnal stricture on people celebarating their
own relision unless it is done too obviously on public, i.e.,
governmental, premises. Agencies still struggle on how to define
"not too obviously". In general, if someone wants to post a few
personal religious items in his or her cubicle, no one will
object. If soemoen wants to put a crucifix with Christ hanging on
it in the main lobby, there is a problem.

All this contrasts strangely with the phenomenon commented on frequently
by Europeans and other non-Americans: that Americans mention God much
more frequently than any other English-speaking nation with the possible
exception of the Irish. Moreover, what about "In God we trust"? The USA
may not have a state religion, but it certainly has a lot more religion
than other non-theocracies.

Perhaps adopting a state religion co-opts it, making it more difficult
for the religion to function fully, but having religion separated from
the state allows all kinds and variations to flourish.

It does seem that autocratic leaders of either a religious or political
stripe tend to use religion as a tool of political control or to try to
destroy it as a subversive force.

--
Cheryl