The perpetual calendar

Old February 22nd 10, 03:24 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
J. Clarke

Default The perpetual calendar

On 2/22/2010 9:46 AM, jmfbahciv wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
António Marques :
On Feb 21, 1:09 am, Andrew Usher wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Adam Funk :
From man 5 crontab:
When specifying day of week, both day 0 and day 7 will be
considered Sunday. BSD and AT&T seem to disagree about this.
But they presumably agree that day one is Monday.
But 0 is the start of computer indexing - at least in real programs. 0
= Sunday.
Ahem. In low level, pointer oriented languages such as C and its
family. And those who chose to imitate it.

But not in the first language I used when working for a living (COBOL).

Nor FORTRAN DO statements. Most people start at 1. You can also
write an off-by-1 bug in loops depending on whether you start the loop
with 0 or 1.

And in C and most C-derived languages those off-by-1 bugs abound. I've
never done a formal count but I suspect that half the patches Microsoft
has issued for Windows fix off-by-1 bugs.

Old February 22nd 10, 04:02 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Joachim Pense

jmfbahciv (in sci.lang):

Mike Barnes wrote:
António Marques :
On Feb 21, 1:09 am, Andrew Usher wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Adam Funk :
From man 5 crontab:
When specifying day of week, both day 0 and day 7 will be
considered Sunday. BSD and AT&T seem to disagree about this.
But they presumably agree that day one is Monday.
But 0 is the start of computer indexing - at least in real programs. 0
= Sunday.
Ahem. In low level, pointer oriented languages such as C and its
family. And those who chose to imitate it.

But not in the first language I used when working for a living (COBOL).

Nor FORTRAN DO statements. Most people start at 1. You can also
write an off-by-1 bug in loops depending on whether you start the loop
with 0 or 1.

Neither Pascal.

Joachim

--
My favourite # 88: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0
My favourite # 24: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz3EkkdFwvU

Old February 22nd 10, 04:24 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
CDB

Yusuf B Gursey wrote:
Brian M. Scott wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
Yusuf B Gursey wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

[...]

But I thought that for most people the whole point of
Easter is that they get time off work.

not in the US, at least not in my state.

Are you saying that Easter is not a holiday in your state?

He's saying that people don't get time off work on account
of it. Which is doubtless true; I don't, either.

yes. it is not an official holiday, but there is a slowing down of
bussiness, as some businesses give employees vacation or have a
reduced
employee load. I am not a Christian, and while in college I had
asked why
we were not eating at the regular cafetaria during. the woman in
charge, a Puerto Rican, answered in shock: "it's Good Friday!"

AM Klein:

"The advantages of living with two cultures
Strike one at every turn,
Especially when one finds a notice in an office building
'This elevator will not run on Ascension Day';
Or reads in the Montreal Star:
'Tomorrow being the Feast of the Immaculate Conception,
There will be no garbage collection in the city'; ...".

Old February 22nd 10, 06:03 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
R H Draney

Adam Funk filted:

On 2010-02-21, António Marques wrote:

On Feb 21, 1:09Â*am, Andrew Usher wrote:

But 0 is the start of computer indexing - at least in real programs. 0
= Sunday.

Ahem. In low level, pointer oriented languages such as C and its
family. And those who chose to imitate it.

From Verity Stob's "Thirteen Ways to Loathe VB":

4. Another thing about arrays. The index of the first element is 0,
unless it is set to 1 by a directive.

5. But there are also collections, modern object-oriented versions
of arrays. And the first element of these is usually 1, unless
it happens to be 0. Sometimes it is 0 and sometimes it is 1,
depending on where you found it. Do you feel lucky, punk? Well,
do ya?

In APL, indexing starts at one unless you've explicitly set it to zero by
setting the system variable quad-IO....r

--
"Oy! A cat made of lead cannot fly."
- Mark Brader declaims a basic scientific principle
Old February 22nd 10, 07:02 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
spudnik

how about a leap-fortnight, half as often?

Just use a 364-day year with a leap week. What's troublesome about that?

thus:
well, if Christopher Walken will only do weird/creepy but not bad,
as I just read in teh Sunday NYTimes, then
so can Bill Shatner; eh?... of course,
the "bad" is in the denouement or resolution. (at the moment,
HSJ is just letting me waste my time on him,
which *might* be a good thing .-)

as for interesting,
it could be used as a vehicle to promulgate math,
like the "purposefully mistaken calculus instructor," more or less
(because, I hypothesize that it is really an alias
for Obama, jerking us around for some reason).

Hmm. You'd need someone who can do humourless/irrational, while making

thus:
the only comment is that "the quaternion people" did
not "do" any thing "to the scalar;"
Gibbs took quaternions apart into two operations,
using all of the nomenclature (and not adding any,
I think), except for "imaginaries."

thus:
well, if the microphone is your ear,
then it is commonplace observation;
two ears, you can even locate the emmitter, immediately. so,
what is the *same* about the waves & the particles?

thus:
NCLB/Come the Rapture; won't matter about Babel-on!
What's the "No Child Left Behind" *Alphabet*?

thus:
vous etes tres pathetique, monsieur Valev. comme-ca,
quelle es problematique avec dilation doo temps --
faites-vous supposez, cette est le meme chose a journe' een temps?

http://astronomy.ifrance.com/pages/g.../einstein.html
"Le deuxième test classique donne en revanche des inquiétudes.
Historiquement, pourtant, l'explication de l'avance du périhélie de
Mercure, proposé par Einstein lui-même, donna ses lettres de noblesse
à la relativité générale. Il s'agissait de comprendra pourquoi le
périhélie de Mercure ( le point de son orbite le plus proche du
soleil ) se déplaçait de 574 s d'arc par siècle. Certes, sur ces 574
s, 531 s'expliquaient par les perturbations gravitationnels dues aux
autres planètes. Mais restait 43 s, le fameux effet "périhélique "
inexpliqué par les lois de Newton. Le calcul relativiste d'Einstein
donna 42,98 s ! L'accord et si parfait qu'il ne laisse la place à
aucune discussion. Or depuis 1966, le soleil est soupçonné ne pas être
rigoureusement sphérique mais légèrement aplati à l'équateur. Une très
légère dissymétries qui suffirait à faire avancer le périhélie de
quelques secondes d'arc. Du coup, la preuve se transformerait en
réfutation puisque les 42,88 s du calcul d'Einstein ne pourrait pas
expliquer le mouvement réel de Mercure."

http://astronomy.ifrance.com/pages/g.../einstein.html
"Arthur Eddington , le premier en 1924, calculâtes théoriquement un
décalage 0,007% attendu la surface de Sirius mais avec des données
fausses à l'époque sur la masse et le rayon de l'étoile. L'année
suivante, Walter Adams mesurerait exactement ces 0.007%. Il s'avère
aujourd'hui que ces mesures , qui constituèrent pendant quarante ans
une "preuves" de la relativité, étaient largement "arrangée" tant
était grand le désir de vérifier la théorie d'Enstein. La véritable
valeur fut mesurée en 1965. Elle est de 0.03% car Sirius est plus
petite , et sont champ de gravitation est plus fort que ne le pensait
Eddington."

--les OEuvres!
http://wlym.com

--Stop Cheeny and Rice's 3rd British (ICC) Invasion of Sudan!
http://larouchepub.com/pr/2010/10020...sts_sudan.html
Old February 22nd 10, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Hatunen

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:27:38 -0500, Tak To
wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:

Are you saying that Easter is not a holiday in your state?

In the US, the is really no concept of "official holidays".
There is no law that requires any day to be a paid non-work
day for anyone. Instead, there are laws that require
employers to have a fair holiday policy that does not
discriminate against any religion. There are also specific
local laws that require certain business to be closed
on certain days (e.g., liquor stores on Sundays). Other
than these laws, basically every organization sets its own
holidays.

In any case, as a religious holiday Easter can't be a holiday
anywhere in the USA. Since it's always on Sunday, this has little
impact.

Thus, a "federal holiday" merely means that it is a holiday
for the federal government offices, post offices, etc.
Likewise, a "state holiday" means only that it is a holiday
for state government offices. Each school district (typically
one per town) sets its own holiday schedules, which may or
may not following the state holiday schedule.

Here in Tucson the local school district does not take the
President's Day holiday but gives the Thursday and Friday of
Rodeo Week off.

As an example,
the school district of town where I live has both Rosh
Hashanah and Yom Kippur as holidays even though the town
Jewish population is probably less than 5%. OTOH Good
Friday and Ascension Day are rarely holidays by themselves,
but the school board would try to schedule the 1-2 week
"Spring Recess" to include both of them. (For 2010, it
is a 10 day stretch that starts on Good Friday).

Constitutionally, public schools and offices in America cannot
have religious holidays. Many school districts will try to
schedule necessarily secular holidays to coincide with religious
holidays. For instance, there may be a "Spring Break Holiday"
which conveniently is timed to cover Passover, Good Friday and
Easter. This gets tricky when Easter falls particularly early or
late on the calendar.

I'm not clear on how a public school district can have Rosh
Hoshanah or Yom Kippur holidays. What town is that?

And, just in case someone was going to ask, Christmas has been
adjudicated to be a secular holiday.

Old February 22nd 10, 07:45 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Peter T. Daniels

On Feb 22, 2:27*pm, Tak To wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
Yusuf B Gursey wrote:
On Feb 19, 11:25 am, Mike Barnes wrote:
John Atkinson :

Halmyre wrote:
I just wish they'd settle on a date for Easter and be done with it.
But, the whole point of Easter is that it has a full moon!
A full-*ish* moon, actually. The definitions of the equinox and full
moon used when determining Easter are rather different from the real
definitions used by astronomers, which would actually give rise to
different (perhaps several weeks different) Easter dates depending on
one's longitude.

[...]

may not following the state holiday schedule. *As an example,
the school district of town where I live has both Rosh
Hashanah and Yom Kippur as holidays even though the town
Jewish population is probably less than 5%. *OTOH Good
Friday and Ascension Day are rarely holidays by themselves,
but the school board would try to schedule the 1-2 week
"Spring Recess" to include both of them. (For 2010, it
is a 10 day stretch that starts on Good Friday).

I suspect you don't know what or when Ascension Day is ...

Larger organizations in the US typically has some paid
"personal days" so that people can use take them for
religious or other reasons without explanation.

Btw, Good Friday is a Wall Street holiday by tradition.
The exchanges are closed. *Most firms in the related
businesses have a holiday.

Old February 22nd 10, 07:54 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Mike Barnes

R H Draney :
Adam Funk filted:

On 2010-02-21, António Marques wrote:

On Feb 21, 1:09Â*am, Andrew Usher wrote:

But 0 is the start of computer indexing - at least in real programs. 0
= Sunday.

Ahem. In low level, pointer oriented languages such as C and its
family. And those who chose to imitate it.

From Verity Stob's "Thirteen Ways to Loathe VB":

4. Another thing about arrays. The index of the first element is 0,
unless it is set to 1 by a directive.

5. But there are also collections, modern object-oriented versions
of arrays. And the first element of these is usually 1, unless
it happens to be 0. Sometimes it is 0 and sometimes it is 1,
depending on where you found it. Do you feel lucky, punk? Well,
do ya?

In APL, indexing starts at one unless you've explicitly set it to zero by
setting the system variable quad-IO....r

In Perl, indexing starts at zero unless you've explicitly set it to one
by setting the system variable $[.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Old February 22nd 10, 08:07 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Adam Funk[_2_]

On 2010-02-22, R H Draney wrote:

In APL, indexing starts at one unless you've explicitly set it to zero by
setting the system variable quad-IO....r

"quad-IO" ... are you winding me up?

--
Do you know what they do to book thieves up at Santa Rita?
http://www.shigabooks.com/indeces/bookhunter.html
Old February 22nd 10, 08:08 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Adam Funk[_2_]

On 2010-02-22, Mike Barnes wrote:

R H Draney :

In APL, indexing starts at one unless you've explicitly set it to zero by
setting the system variable quad-IO....r

In Perl, indexing starts at zero unless you've explicitly set it to one
by setting the system variable $[.

I like the notes in _Programming Perl_:

(Mnemonic: [ begins subscripts.)

Assignment to $[ ... is discouraged.