The perpetual calendar

Old April 2nd 10, 08:59 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Mike Barnes

Default "Year of Our Lord" in the news (was: The perpetual calendar)

R H Draney :
filted:

Are you sure it was he?

What I don't understand is why those who don't believe in Jesus Christ
keep calling him Jesus Christ. Isn't the core of the question whether
he was a christ or not? It seems to me they weaken the appearance of
their argument, or the argument itself, when they call him by a title
one would otherwise think they think he doesn't deserve.

What would everyone else call him, then?..."Jesus bar Joseph"?...

NSOED says, of "Christ": "(The title, now usu. treated as a name, given
to) Jesus of Nazareth". I certainly regarded it as a name: I had no idea
that it was supposed to be a title. Actually I think I use it only as an
intensifier when cursing.

If that "weakens the appearance of [my] argument", someone's clutching
at straws.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Old April 2nd 10, 05:58 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.atheism
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

Default Hey, Seuss!

What I don't understand is why those who don't believe in Jesus Christ
keep calling him Jesus Christ.

Disambiguation, for one. Arguments that "Jesus is not an actual
historical person." are rather easily disproven by pointing to any one
of numerous people with that name. (-:

Old April 2nd 10, 08:01 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
franzi

On Apr 2, 4:48*am, wrote:
On 1 Apr 2010 20:19:32 -0700, R H Draney wrote:

filted:

What I don't understand is why those who don't believe in Jesus Christ
keep calling him Jesus Christ. *Isn't the core of the question whether
he was a christ or not? *It seems to me they weaken the appearance of
their argument, or the argument itself, when they call him by a title
one would otherwise think they think he doesn't deserve.

What would everyone else call him, then?..."Jesus bar Joseph"?...

No.

"Josh Carpenter"?...r

I call him Jesus. *If that would ever not be enough to make it clear,
I would say Jesus of Nazareth.

I have noticed that some radio and tv reporters and news readers call
him Jesus and some call him Jesus Christ. *I think in the spirit of
objective reporting, they should all call him Jesus or Jesus of
Nazareth. *It's a theological position to call him "Jesus Christ".

Someone ought to find out what the full technical scope of anointing
is. I know the Greek word christos means anointed, and is used to mean
anointed by or on behalf of the Lord (Hail to the Lord's anointed, as
the hymn goes) in an attempt to translate the Hebrew, but anyone who
was disposed to dispute the theological by or for whom point could
salve their conscience by taking anointed to mean mere pouring of oil
or rubbing of ointment.

Why, I've been anointed myself in the oil-pouring sense, and don't
claim any divine authority. I wasn't expecting to be anointed at the
time, and was a touch surprised. It must have been my winning smile.
Still, one can't complain.
--
franzi
Old April 2nd 10, 08:19 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
R H Draney

franzi filted:

Someone ought to find out what the full technical scope of anointing
is. I know the Greek word christos means anointed, and is used to mean
anointed by or on behalf of the Lord (Hail to the Lord's anointed, as
the hymn goes) in an attempt to translate the Hebrew, but anyone who
was disposed to dispute the theological by or for whom point could
salve their conscience by taking anointed to mean mere pouring of oil
or rubbing of ointment.

Why, I've been anointed myself in the oil-pouring sense, and don't
claim any divine authority. I wasn't expecting to be anointed at the
time, and was a touch surprised. It must have been my winning smile.
Still, one can't complain.

"Pointy birds.
Oh pointy, pointy.
Anoint my head.
Anointy, nointy."
-- Steve Martin

.....r

--
"Oy! A cat made of lead cannot fly."
- Mark Brader declaims a basic scientific principle
Old April 2nd 10, 08:20 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Tony Cooper

Default "Year of Our Lord" in the news

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:31:19 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum
wrote:

tony cooper writes:

My diploma from Northwestern University (Evanston, IL, USA) has "In
the year of our Lord" on it.

According to Stanford, I graduated

on the Fourteenth Day of June in the Year One Thousand Nine
Hundred and Eighty-Seven the Two Hundred-Eleventh Year of the
Republic and the Ninety-Sixth Academic Year of the University.

(sic on the lack of commas).

It's only fair. I paid the tuition with money with "In God We
Trust" on it.

Really? I never paid my tuition in cash.

Actually, I did. Not at Northwestern, but I did at Indiana
University. Tuition then was $110* a semester and I didn't have a
checking account. I saved money from various summer and part-time
jobs and put in a savings account. I withdrew a semester's cash
before heading off to campus because the bank I used didn't have an
outlet in Bloomington. There was no branch banking in Indiana in
those years. I paid for my tuition and other expenses in cash.

It wasn't really uncommon then. Some of the jobs I had paid in cash.
The wages were in a brown envelope - the pay packet preceded the pay
check - with the hours worked and such printed on the front.

I didn't have a checking account until I moved to the Chicago area and
opened one at Lake Shore Bank. I felt quite the big-shot when I wrote
my first check.

You youngsters don't understand that not everyone always had checking
accounts. I don't remember when my parents first opened a checking
account, but I do remember my mother's "envelope system" when I was in
grade school. My father would bring home his pay in cash and my
mother would put amounts of it in a booklet with individual envelopes
for designated expenses. So much a week would go in the "Coal"
envelope, so much in the "Electric" envelope, and so on.

*I think that figure's correct. Close, anyway.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 2nd 10, 08:34 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Peter T. Daniels

wrote:
tony cooper writes:

[...]

Checking accounts are becoming a thing of the past. The organizer of
the symposium I'm speaking at in Cologne next week wants to reimburse
me for my plane fare in cash, in euros -- because they don't use
checks in Germany any more. If the local ATMs don't allow me to make a
deposit into my US account, I'll have to carry approximately $1000 in
cash (they might be able to give me dollars!) back and deposit it
here.

*I think that figure's correct. *Close, anyway.