The perpetual calendar

Old March 24th 10, 01:46 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Robert Bannister

Default The perpetual calendar

Brian M. Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:36:07 +1100, Peter Moylan
gro.nalyomp@retep wrote in
.au in
sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro:

Tak To wrote:

Brian M. Scott wrote:

[...]

I much prefer 'CE' to 'AD', and yes, I do take it to stand
for 'Common Era': that was how I learnt it in the first
place.

I prefer something like "Common Year" to "Common Era". The former
is more like a convention/scale/unit (cf "Celsius") whereas the
latter implies that there was/is a common recognition about
"the era".

It seems to me that the choice between "Christian" and "Common" is a
minor detail compared with the glaring inappropriateness of the word
"Era". Surely that means a span of years, with a beginning and an end.

That is only one meaning. Another is 'a fixed point in time
from which a series of years is reckoned', and yet another
-- the one in use here -- is 'a system of chronological
notation computed from a given date as basis'.

It's all confused by the way the Americans pronounce it: "error" to
non-rhotic ears.

--

Rob Bannister
Old March 24th 10, 06:41 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Brian M. Scott

Robert Bannister wrote:

Brian M. Scott wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:36:07 +1100, Peter Moylan
gro.nalyomp@retep wrote in
.au
in sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro:

[...]

It seems to me that the choice between "Christian"
and "Common" is a minor detail compared with the
glaring inappropriateness of the word "Era". Surely
that means a span of years, with a beginning and an
end.

That is only one meaning. Another is 'a fixed point in
time from which a series of years is reckoned', and yet
another -- the one in use here -- is 'a system of
chronological notation computed from a given date as
basis'.

It's all confused by the way the Americans pronounce it:
"error" to non-rhotic ears.

'Americans' is much too broad: many Americans pronounce the
first syllable to rhyme with ear.

Brian
Old March 25th 10, 02:02 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Robert Bannister

Brian M. Scott wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:

Brian M. Scott wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I knew a lot of them were civilised; it's just that I keep
hearing "error" on TV.

--

Rob Bannister
Old April 1st 10, 08:13 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Adam Funk[_2_]

Default "Year of Our Lord" in the news (was: The perpetual calendar)

On 2010-03-11, Brian M. Scott wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:41:10 +0800, Robert Bannister
wrote in
in
sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro:

[(B)CE for BC/AD:]

It was a pointless change, which, in any case, has only
been adopted by a few.

In fact it's becoming increasingly common in the U.S.

Just saw this in the news:

Students want ‘Our Lord' phrase off diplomas

A group of students at Trinity University is lobbying trustees to
drop a reference to “Our Lord” on their diplomas, arguing it does
not respect the diversity of religions on campus.

“A diploma is a very personal item, and people want to proudly
display it in their offices and homes,” said Sidra Qureshi,
president of Trinity Diversity Connection. “By having the phrase ‘In
the Year of Our Lord,' it is directly referencing Jesus Christ, and
not everyone believes in Jesus Christ.”
Other students and President Dennis Ahlburg have defended the
wording, arguing that references to the school's Presbyterian roots
are appropriate and unobtrusive.
McNamara [president of the College Republicans] pointed out that
Trinity displays other signs of its Christian heritage, including a
chapel on campus, a chaplain, Christmas vespers and a Bible etching
on the Trinity seal.

“Once you remove that phrase, where do you draw the line?” McNamara
asked.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...iplomas .html

Umm, the name of the university it a bit of a give-away too.

--
Steve: Now, okay. I did say that monkeys could program Visual Basic.
Leo: But not that all Visual Basic programmers are monkeys.
Old April 1st 10, 11:31 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Peter T. Daniels

On Apr 1, 3:13*pm, Adam Funk wrote:
On 2010-03-11, Brian M. Scott wrote:

[...]

* ...
* Other students and President Dennis Ahlburg have defended the
* wording, arguing that references to the school's Presbyterian roots
* are appropriate and unobtrusive.
* ...
* McNamara [president of the College Republicans] pointed out that
* Trinity displays other signs of its Christian heritage, including a
* chapel on campus, a chaplain, Christmas vespers and a Bible etching
* on the Trinity seal.

* Once you remove that phrase, where do you draw the line? McNamara
* asked.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...t_Our_Lord_phr...

Umm, the name of the university it a bit of a give-away too.

It's a bit surprising for a Presbyterian institution.
Old April 2nd 10, 02:01 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Mark Brader

Brian Scott:
[(B)CE for BC/AD:]
In fact it's becoming increasingly common in the U.S.

Adam Funk:
Just saw this in the news...

A group of students at Trinity University is lobbying trustees to
drop a reference to "Our Lord" on their diplomas,

Note that this is not the same thing. I use AD happily; he's not *my*
lord, but that's not what the expression says, and he is *a* lord to
some people.

arguing it does not respect the diversity of religions on campus.

McNamara [president of the College Republicans] pointed out that
Trinity displays other signs of its Christian heritage, including a
chapel on campus, a chaplain, Christmas vespers and a Bible etching
on the Trinity seal.

He or she has certainly got a point there.

Umm, the name of the university it a bit of a give-away too.

Well, not necessarily, although it is suggestive. St. Paul College
http://www.saintpaul.edu in Minnesota isn't a religious college --
it's located in the city of St. Paul.
--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Old April 2nd 10, 03:51 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:13:12 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2010-03-11, Brian M. Scott wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:41:10 +0800, Robert Bannister
wrote in
in
sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro:

[(B)CE for BC/AD:]

It was a pointless change, which, in any case, has only
been adopted by a few.

It has plenty of point.

In fact it's becoming increasingly common in the U.S.

And especially in archaeology journals.

Just saw this in the news:

Students want Our Lord' phrase off diplomas

I agree with whoever said this is not the same thing as AD. It would
be the same thing as AND or ADN. My Latin is rusty so I don't
remember if it would be Anno Neustri Domini or Anno Domini Neustri, or
maybe neustro is only Spanish. I have a Latin dictionary
somewhere...where is it?

Anno domini means year of a lord or maybe year of the lord (since iirc
there is no "the" in Latin)

But if they're going to throw in pronouns, I'll throw in my own and
figure it means "Year of Their Lord".

A group of students at Trinity University is lobbying trustees to
drop a reference to Our Lord on their diplomas, arguing it does
not respect the diversity of religions on campus.

A diploma is a very personal item, and people want to proudly
display it in their offices and homes, said Sidra Qureshi,
president of Trinity Diversity Connection. By having the phrase In
the Year of Our Lord,' it is directly referencing Jesus Christ, and
not everyone believes in Jesus Christ.

What I don't understand is why those who don't believe in Jesus Christ
keep calling him Jesus Christ. Isn't the core of the question whether
he was a christ or not? It seems to me they weaken the appearance of
their argument, or the argument itself, when they call him by a title
one would otherwise think they think he doesn't deserve.
Other students and President Dennis Ahlburg have defended the
wording, arguing that references to the school's Presbyterian roots
are appropriate and unobtrusive.
McNamara [president of the College Republicans] pointed out that
Trinity displays other signs of its Christian heritage, including a
chapel on campus, a chaplain, Christmas vespers and a Bible etching
on the Trinity seal.

Yes, I think this guy has a hard row to hoe regarding a Christian
college or even one with a Christian heritage. Maybe he had no idaa
what trinity meant in this context, but he has to pay for that.

If he went to a public college or university, I think he'd be right,
not just for his diploma but for everyone's. I wonder what the
status of that is.

Once you remove that phrase, where do you draw the line? McNamara
asked.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...iplomas .html

Umm, the name of the university it a bit of a give-away too.

Yup.
Old April 2nd 10, 04:05 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:51:11 -0400, wrote:

Yes, I think this guy has a hard row to hoe regarding a Christian
college or even one with a Christian heritage. Maybe he had no idaa
what trinity meant in this context, but he has to pay for that.

If he went to a public college or university, I think he'd be right,
not just for his diploma but for everyone's. I wonder what the
status of that is.

The article says:
When Medina applied to Trinity, university staff told him it wasn't a
religious institution and that it maintained only a historical bond to
the Presbyterian Church.

So the godly reference came as a big surprise, said Medina, who
graduated in December. I felt I was a victim of a bait and switch.
- - -

If they conclude that he likely did ask and was told something like
what he says he was, they should bite the bullet and pay 100 dollars
and print him a custom diploma. They can ask everyone now enrolled if
they want one like it, pay 200 dollars and print 85 of them. And
after that they should give more precise information to people who
ask. Unless, who knows, they really do want to change the diploma
for everyone.

Despite my complaints in my previous post, it's not a public
institution and they're entitled do things the way they want. I don't
know what percentagbe of their money would have to come directly from
a state or the natinoal government to change that (90% would qualify,
but I'm not sure about lower numbers), but I doubt if they are at that
point.

Old April 2nd 10, 04:48 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
[email protected]

On 1 Apr 2010 20:19:32 -0700, R H Draney wrote:

filted:

What I don't understand is why those who don't believe in Jesus Christ
keep calling him Jesus Christ. Isn't the core of the question whether
he was a christ or not? It seems to me they weaken the appearance of
their argument, or the argument itself, when they call him by a title
one would otherwise think they think he doesn't deserve.

What would everyone else call him, then?..."Jesus bar Joseph"?...

No.

"Josh Carpenter"?...r

I call him Jesus. If that would ever not be enough to make it clear,
I would say Jesus of Nazareth.

I have noticed that some radio and tv reporters and news readers call
him Jesus and some call him Jesus Christ. I think in the spirit of
objective reporting, they should all call him Jesus or Jesus of
Nazareth. It's a theological position to call him "Jesus Christ".